Lord Of The Rings Film Trilogy

Bill Lees

In ascending order, these are :

5. John Rhys-Davies as Gimli. I only found out listening to the DvD commentary that he was supposed to have been played with a Scots accent ! In the second film, it was a slightly clearer.

4. Billy Boyd as Pippin/Peregrine. Pure dead gallus - and unmistakably Scottish this time.

3. Christopher Lee as Saruman. Simply perfect casting. Saruman's deadliest weapon is his voice, and Christopher Lee has it sorted.

2. Ian McKellen as Gandalf. McKellen has hit just the right tone, both as the original, hobbit-loving Gandalf of the first film, and the re-born, slightly scary Gandalf the White in the Two Towers.

1. Andy Serkis as Gollum. I think this is the best thing in the whole shooting match. I first read the Hobbit/LOTR about 30 years ago, and Serkis's CGI Gollum is exactly right - just as I'd imagined it myself. The scenes with the good and bad Gollums debating what to do next are wonderful.

Honourable mentions, too, for Viggo Mortensen's Aragorn, Brad Dourif's Wormtongue, and Bernard Hill's Theoden.

In ascending order, these are :

5. John Rhys-Davies as Gimli. I only found out listening to the DvD commentary that he was supposed to have been played with a Scots accent ! In the second film, it was a slightly clearer.

4. Billy Boyd as Pippin/Peregrine. Pure dead gallus - and unmistakably Scottish this time.

3. Christopher Lee as Saruman. Simply perfect casting. Saruman's deadliest weapon is his voice, and Christopher Lee has it sorted.

2. Ian McKellen as Gandalf. McKellen has hit just the right tone, both as the original, hobbit-loving Gandalf of the first film, and the re-born, slightly scary Gandalf the White in the Two Towers.

1. Andy Serkis as Gollum. I think this is the best thing in the whole shooting match. I first read the Hobbit/LOTR about 30 years ago, and Serkis's CGI Gollum is exactly right - just as I'd imagined it myself. The scenes with the good and bad Gollums debating what to do next are wonderful.

Honourable mentions, too, for Viggo Mortensen's Aragorn, Brad Dourif's Wormtongue, and Bernard Hill's Theoden.

got to agree with you bill

Bill, I'd see the doctor about deafness if you couldn't figure out Gimli was played with a Scottish accent, you doddering old duffer! :D

Clearer in second film? They were all filmed in the one go, so maybe you'd just cleaned yer ears for the The Two Towers, mate!

I think all the performances are amazing - I was stunned by the first film as they got it exactly right, as I envisioned it in my head. Love the book, have it read it 3 or 4 times over the years.

Shelob is gonna be fackin' ace!

WWF or LOTR ?

Is there perhaps a third option, less painful and tedious ?

Having your testicles roasted on a spit ? Getting a 12" nail whacked up your bahooky ? Watching a re-run of Deportivo vs Man U ?

WWF / LOTR ............ zzzzzzzzzzzzz

WWF or LOTR ?

Is there perhaps a third option, less painful and tedious ?

Having your testicles roasted on a spit ? Getting a 12" nail whacked up your bahooky ? Watching a re-run of Deportivo vs Man U ?

WWF / LOTR ............ zzzzzzzzzzzzz

...and lets not forget the Coronation Street fetish of Bill Lees. :lol: