So Farewell Then Alfredo De Stefano

shull

Nae Tippy Tappy Shite Fitba from the winning team in the 1960 semi final.

Eintracht Frankfurt 12 The Blue Vermin F. C. (deceased) 4

In those days if you got the best eleven players on the field and let them play then nine times out of ten they would win. The forward line, five of them, trips off my tongue as easily as our 59 cup winning forwards. Canario, Del Sol, Di Stefano, Puskas and Gento.(Pronounced Hento) I don't believe we'll ever see the likes again. Canario and Del Sol were unsung heroes, especially Del Sol who was a really classy inside right. Puskas was simply world class and could do everything in the game superbly. What a shot he had. Gento is the fastest footballer I have ever seen. If he broke on the left chasing a ball, his legs moved so quickly they were a blur. Di Stefano, the Galloping Major, was again absolutely world class. What a player. Born Argentinian but allowed to become Spanish and played for both countries. Puskas played for Hungary and Spain too. Shull says Di Stefano was a master of the forward pass. He might have been but if he had a fault it was trying to do too much on his own. He was a bit greedy but when you're the second best player in the world (Pele was around) you get away with being greedy.

I'd love to see that team play against Barca at their best. We could argue forever about who would win. I'd vote for Real Madrid.

In those days if you got the best eleven players on the field and let them play then nine times out of ten they would win. The forward line, five of them, trips off my tongue as easily as our 59 cup winning forwards. Canario, Del Sol, Di Stefano, Puskas and Gento.(Pronounced Hento) I don't believe we'll ever see the likes again. Canario and Del Sol were unsung heroes, especially Del Sol who was a really classy inside right. Puskas was simply world class and could do everything in the game superbly. What a shot he had. Gento is the fastest footballer I have ever seen. If he broke on the left chasing a ball, his legs moved so quickly they were a blur. Di Stefano, the Galloping Major, was again absolutely world class. What a player. Born Argentinian but allowed to become Spanish and played for both countries. Puskas played for Hungary and Spain too. Shull says Di Stefano was a master of the forward pass. He might have been but if he had a fault it was trying to do too much on his own. He was a bit greedy but when you're the second best player in the world (Pele was around) you get away with being greedy.

I'd love to see that team play against Barca at their best. We could argue forever about who would win. I'd vote for Real Madrid.

Good post Rick !

The front five nearly as good as .................

Rodger, Bryceland, Baker, Gemmell & Miller ? thumbup2.gif

Good post Rick !

The front five nearly as good as .................

Rodger, Bryceland, Baker, Gemmell & Miller ? thumbup2.gif

I love the fact that I saw that great Real Madrid team play but our cup winning team of 1959 gave me more pleasure than I've ever had from football before or since then. Fergie's Furies, the 87 cup winners and the League Cup winners come close, but don't quite match them. That's a great forward line up there. My two footballing heroes of all time are Tommy Gemmell and Denis Law.

I love the fact that I saw that great Real Madrid team play but our cup winning team of 1959 gave me more pleasure than I've ever had from football before or since then. Fergie's Furies, the 87 cup winners and the League Cup winners come close, but don't quite match them. That's a great forward line up there. My two footballing heroes of all time are Tommy Gemmell and Denis Law.

Mine are Peter Leonard and Alex Bone.

I'm away tae work now .............bye1.gif