Tommy Bryceland Passes Away

FS

A few more than me and Bluto, Shull, but I'm really delighted that I saw him play for St.Mirren and bloody nearly performing miracles. I've always believed that Wee Tam and Jim Baxter were the best Scottish players in pure footballing terms that I ever had the privilege of seeing. And of course they fought the bit out regularly, most famously at Ibrox. Both were kind of flawed geniuses in some ways. I think his goal in the 59 final was a cracker but despite that a lot reckoned it was a bit of a fluke. Bollocks! He always had amazing awareness of where the opposition players were and how a wee guy like him got up and glanced that almost backward header in I'll never know. Genius at work.

Don't know if I posted this before. (Bluto, don't read this. I know I told you this story before and you got upset) I got to know Tommy quite well in the early 80's before I moved over here and he told me that the Third Lanark players all had money on St.Mirren the night of the 8-0 thrashing we handed out to them on the night of the cup replay at Cathkin in 1961. I've always regarded that night as the Wee Tamm/ Jolly Rodger show. What a night. Tommy said that years later when some of the Hi Hi players told him he absolutely refused to believe them but he did believe it in the end. Hope it's not true. Could bets like that be placed back then?

RIP, Tommy, and thanks for the fantastic memories.

A few more than me and Bluto, Shull, but I'm really delighted that I saw him play for St.Mirren and bloody nearly performing miracles. I've always believed that Wee Tam and Jim Baxter were the best Scottish players in pure footballing terms that I ever had the privilege of seeing. And of course they fought the bit out regularly, most famously at Ibrox. Both were kind of flawed geniuses in some ways. I think his goal in the 59 final was a cracker but despite that a lot reckoned it was a bit of a fluke. Bollocks! He always had amazing awareness of where the opposition players were and how a wee guy like him got up and glanced that almost backward header in I'll never know. Genius at work.

Don't know if I posted this before. (Bluto, don't read this. I know I told you this story before and you got upset) I got to know Tommy quite well in the early 80's before I moved over here and he told me that the Third Lanark players all had money on St.Mirren the night of the 8-0 thrashing we handed out to them on the night of the cup replay at Cathkin in 1961. I've always regarded that night as the Wee Tamm/ Jolly Rodger show. What a night. Tommy said that years later when some of the Hi Hi players told him he absolutely refused to believe them but he did believe it in the end. Hope it's not true. Could bets like that be placed back then?

RIP, Tommy, and thanks for the fantastic memories.

I remember just about the Dumbarton game we had a large following that day.