Players We Missed Out On

Julian Banjos

Was there ever a "ones we missed" thread?

If there has been, Martin Dahlin, Pontus Kamark and Kevin McAllister must be up there. Fitzy was even in talks with Sven Goran Eriksson to make him his Assistant.

Sounds like an interesting thread to me too!

I read in the Saints magazine that after we got the money from the Ferguson deal, we were looking at signing an up and coming lower league player from England. The team was Crewe Alexandra, the player was David Platt. One that got away eh? He soon after went to Villa and scored for England in World Cup '90. :o

Others that come to mind are Jorge Cadete, Bebeto, Paul Kitson, Benito Carbone, Marco Negri and of course Ronaldinho. They were all within the same week as well. :lol:

Ronaldhino Story;

03/30/2001. SPL side St Mirren are claiming that they almost signed £20m Ronaldinho on loan until the end of the season.

In what would have been a major sensation for the club currently bottom of the SPL, boss Tom Hendrie says that only red tape stopped the 21 year old Brazilian joining yesterday.

The striker is expected to join Paris St Germain in a £20m move from Gremio this summer, however Hendrie said, "I'm very disappointed. It almost seems bizarre that we are talking about a player of that quality who would have played for St Mirren."

There are said to be contract problems between his current and future employers and Hendrie added, "It was always going to be a long shot but he's out of contract and not playing football right now. There are sensitive legal matters going on back in Brazil and the FA over there refused his release."

one of the other Villa strikers injured himself pre-season, McInally started playing and scoring, in fact he was one of the top scorers in English football that season. Villa then sold him less than a year later to Bayern Munich for over £1M

Warren Aspinall i think.

Did he not get sent off against us in a pre season game?

Aswell as Blokhin, we were also after Yevtushenko and Demianenko...if memory serves me right.

There was a whole load of hoo ha about Robert Fleck at one stage.

We offered Brian Reid the same deal as Rangers, if stories I heard were true.

Wasn't the McInally deal scuppered because we played Aston Villa in a friendly and the Villa weren't too impressed with us either getting one of them sent off or one of us getting sent off. There was a whole load of stories about that deal falling through.

I remember when we signed Torfason...Record ran a story about an un-named blonde Scandinavian hitman from Rapid Vienna and I, along with all my mates, thought "F'N HELL Jan Aage Fjortoft!!!"

Fitzy was class though, he flew over a Belgian called Rudi Taeymans and then he went home after about a day saying he was homesick. He had half the Austrian World Cup team on trial, told the Polish captain he wasn't good enough, brought over a whole load of Germans and then signed Roddy Manley and Tom Black.