Top Five Late Goals

Tariq Aziz

These aren't necessarily my top five,or are in any particular order,but they all made me smile. :)

1.Junior Mendes at Raith Rovers in 1999/2000.

The most happy I've ever been inside a football stadium.Incredible scenes. :clapping

2.Paul McKnight against Falkirk a couple of weeks later.

I was in the black section of the main stand,and I had an absolute twat of a Falkirk fan sitting right behind me.It turned out that he was actually an ex-player,and he was a wee loudmouthed c*nt who was doing his best to antagonise everyone around him.It would be an understatement to say that I turned into 'King Smugbassa,ruler of the Smugites from planet Smug,and perpetrator of much smugness',when McKnight struck. :double

3.Gardner Speirs' last minute penalty against Dundee Utd at Love Street around 1987.

There was a mass exodus of wee guys (including me) from the northbank as we crowded round behind the goal for a better view,then tried to spot ourselves on telly the next day.Those were the days. ;)

4.Johnny McMillan at Dens Park around 1996ish.

We'd led for nearly the whole game,but Chic Charnley scored a sneaky equaliser for Dundee.We thought we had to settle for a point until there was a hilarious defensive mix-up between the centre half and their French 'keeper Michel Pageud which left McMillan with the ball at his feet,six yards from the open goal.It all happened right in front of the travelling support too.

5.Mark Yardley at Cappielow this season.

We'd been hearing about what the tail o' the bankers were going to do to us ever since the draw had been made.They were so sure they were going to do us over.I read a thread on the Morton forum where they were all discussing the vast sums of money they had bet on a Morton win. :o They were even more confident when we lost 4-0 at home and sacked our manager the week before we played them.They went 2-0 up and the cowshed were giving it laldy.Even when we pulled it back to 2-2 they couldn't have imagined the final insult that was in store.Mark Yardley,the man they love to hate,who was in the worst shape of his entire career, waltzed through their defence like John Barnes in the Maracana to well and truly ram Morton's bravado where the sun don't shine.Superb stuff. :clapping:bounce1:cheers:double

I remember McMillan's winner at Dens Park, what a defensive howler it was. Jamie Fullarton had scored for us first and Charnley equalised with a 30 yard free kick in the second half, which he took quickly while our defence was daydreaming.

Other late goals - what about TT's goal at Love Street in the 3-2 vs Raith Rovers in 99-00.

And those 2 late goals scored by Hammarby against St Mir ............................. ach, s***e.

1. Paul McKnight v Ayr - Only time I've ran about celebrating a goal

2. Paul McKnight v Falkirk - It was late if you don't count the half hour of injury time the ref played

3. TT v Raith - Bang on time, and when I started to think we could win the league

4. Ricky Gillies v Dundee United - Quality goal, I bet I wasn't the only one who had a look at the linesman after he slotted it away to make sure it counted :lol:

5. The goals v Raith Rovers - I was sitting watching it come in on the vidiprinter, whilst my brother listened to it on the radio. The radio was about two minutes faster, so I had to keep running up stairs to find out why he was cheering when we were losing 1-0 ;)

Not a Saints goal but by far the best last minute goal ever scored. In the 1995 European Cup Winners' Cup final, Nayim scored a last minute winner for Real Zaragoza against Arsenal from close to the halfway line. And that wasn't even the punchline. That came with a carbon copy goal in this years world cup finals. Ronaldinho of Brazil caught Seaman off his line and the backtracking England keeper could do nothing to prevent the ball sailing into the top left hand corner. And that was just the tickler, the real belly laugh came when on the final whistle, Seaman, who clearly blamed himself for Brazil's second, burst into tears and had to be consoled by Beckham. :lol::lol::lol:

Has the makings of a great screenplay :D

Guest Kermit

1. Robbie Keane's against Germany in the World Cup, so that Ireland Qualified

(this is not me nailing colours to the mast, just that I saw a programme over the

festive period where the played The Pogues 'Fiesta' when he scored, it was

magic!)

2. Norrie McWhirter scored a free kick did he not in a 2-2 draw with M*t*n a few

years back. More relief than anything else.

3. If extra time counts as last minute, Fergie's goal in the final, very Geff Hurst like,

but which goal do you get polluting you mind every time they are on the TV?

4. Ricky Gillies v Dundee United - Quality goal, I bet I wasn't the only one who had a look at the linesman after he slotted it away to make sure it counted
Have to agree! Was a sinking ship though.

Can't think of anymore off the top of my head so thats it.

2. Norrie McWhirter scored a free kick did he not in a 2-2 draw with M*t*n a few years back. More relief than anything else.

Good call.

That was after we demolished the west terracing,but before we built the west stand,so there was only an 8 foot fence and a makeshift car park behind the goal.Some enterprising punters had parked a big furniture removal lorry in the car park and climbed up onto its roof to watch the game.I remember watching them bouncing around on the roof of the lorry when McWhirter scored with his Zico style free kick. :D

I also remember a Morton player furiously punching the ball through frustration at the final whistle. :P

when i saw the title of this thread that paul mcknight against us popped into my head!!!

ya b@stards!!! :lol:

Aye,and no one has even mentioned Ian Cameron's last minute free-kick in the game that saw Falkirk blow a two goal lead at Love Street and go a long way to sealing their relegation from the Premier League in 1988.

Another great day. :spud3

1. Paul McKnight vs Ayr Utd

Genuinely thought we had won the league that day.....got crushed at

the bottom of the terracing with every c*nt jumping about like crazy.

Plus 3000 away fans......amazing :bounce1 :devil

2. Junior Mendes vs Raith

Couldnae make it to the game but was listening to the radio when I

heard Raith scored so ah turned it off. 5 mins later while watching

Sportscene results, the score came up.....and his goal was superb

when I saw it the next day.

3. Ricky G vs Dundee Utd

Was great cos while in work during the day, i was regularly told that he

was scheidt...and to score the goal in the last minute was..... -_-:double:booty

4. Paul McK vs Falkirk

Possibly one of the most competitive games I've seen at Love St, in

front of a large crowd. Just remember he put it in the net and the

whole Northbank just erupted....in the words of McK.. "amazing, so it

was"

5. Wee Korean bloke vs Italy

Dunno if it was in the last minute or not but it was great to see a

small team progress through the rounds of the WC....especially

with the great support.

Guest saint hits the net

1: Richard Gough - 7 minutes into injury time and he scores the winner in a game against Cyprus - Scots win 3--2.

2 Ole Gunnar Solsjaer's winner v Bayern in the European Cup Final.

3: Another Man Utd goal - can't remember the scorer, but Utd were playing an important league game against Sheffield Wednesday and were down 1-0 to a John Sheridan penalty. Utd equalised and then scored a sensational winner after having played at least seven minutes injury time.

4: Peter Lovenkrands header to clinch a 3-2 Scottish cup final win over Celtic.

5:Man City v Gillingham in the play-offs when Paul Dickov netted at the death to take the game to penalties which City won.

1. Surprised nobody's mentioned ian Nicholson's late header ar East End Park when we were down to 10 men after Tommy Turner had been sent off. Oh, how we celebrated.

2. Junior Mendes at Raith Rovers. Oh, how we celebrated.

3. Paul McKnight at Ayr. Oh, how we celebrated.

4. Mark Yardley's extra time Ricky Villa impersonation at Crappielow. Oh, how we celebrated.

5. Paul McKnight v Falkirk on the day we opened the new stand (we've 10,000 seats and you've no'). Oh, how we celebrated.

:cheers:bounce1:cheers:bounce2:cheers:bounce3:cheers