World Snooker 2023 From The Crucible

shull

1 hour ago, stlucifer said:

Boxing isn't sport. No matter how you dress it up. It's a pathetic, barbaric spectacle of idiots who are determined to hurt each other.

Set up for the indulgence of many who are determined to see someone hurt but too cowardly to do it themselves.

IMO

You could argue the same for other events that are included in the olympics like judo, karate, taekwondo, and wrestling.

Perhaps we should just ban all sporting events where head injuries can occur. 

Will we see in our lifetime heading of a football banned completely from the sport? 

I doubt it but there is no doubt that it is a significant health risk in later life.

The pressures involved in rugby training, tackles and scrums led to early on set dementia for Steve Thompson. 

https://amp.theguardian.com/sport/2020/dec/08/steve-thompson-former-rugby-union-players-dementia-landmark-legal-case

“Steve Thompson, who won the Rugby World Cup with England in 2003, has been diagnosed with early onset dementia and is joining a group of former players in a potentially landmark legal action for the sport.

The eight former players, who are all under the age of 45, are proposing to bring legal proceedings against World Rugby – the game’s governing body – the Rugby Football Union in England and the Welsh Rugby Union over what they claim is their failure to protect them from the risks caused by concussions.

Thompson, 42, said he cannot remember winning the World Cup, would not want his own children to play the game “the way it is at the moment” and that he regrets ever taking it up himself.“

This documentary is worth watching.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m001ctkw/head-on-rugby-dementia-and-me

Boxing isn't sport. No matter how you dress it up. It's a pathetic, barbaric spectacle of idiots who are determined to hurt each other.
Set up for the indulgence of many who are determined to see someone hurt but too cowardly to do it themselves.

IMO
But how else would a you tuber and a reality TV "star" resolve their slagging match?

• 2 weeks later...

My tip for the title loses 17-15, a brave fightback but left himself too much to do. 

Selby, in under 12 hours, lines up against the surprise package Brecel, a winner over red hot favourite O'Sullivan, in the 2 day final.

Got to think the Belgian should get off to a good start as Selby must be drained after scraping over the line tonight.  

image.thumb.png.d62e5859837ce9a649077f3767ddeef9.png

15 hours ago, faraway saint said:

My tip for the title loses 17-15, a brave fightback but left himself too much to do. 

Selby, in under 12 hours, lines up against the surprise package Brecel, a winner over red hot favourite O'Sullivan, in the 2 day final.

Got to think the Belgian should get off to a good start as Selby must be drained after scraping over the line tonight.  

image.thumb.png.d62e5859837ce9a649077f3767ddeef9.png

Aye, Brecel 6-2 Selby, no surprise, under 12 hours to recover/sleep/prepare for the first session.

13 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Aye, Brecel 6-2 Selby, no surprise, under 12 hours to recover/sleep/prepare for the first session.

As expected Selby rallies in the 2nd session and hits the first 147 in a final to finish the day 9-8 down. 

Brecel's "all or nothing" approach is risky, today's final two sessions should be decent. 

16 hours ago, faraway saint said:

As expected Selby rallies in the 2nd session and hits the first 147 in a final to finish the day 9-8 down. 

Brecel's "all or nothing" approach is risky, today's final two sessions should be decent. 

A world champion from Belgium, who'd have thunk it? :wink:

He certainly goes for his shots, it'll be interesting to see if he can sustain his form in the coming year. 

8 hours ago, faraway saint said:

A world champion from Belgium, who'd have thunk it? :wink:

He certainly goes for his shots, it'll be interesting to see if he can sustain his form in the coming year. 

The more I hear about this guy the more I feel he's going to be a Radicanu. (her demise has been as dramatic as her unexpected rise)

It all came together for him over the tournament but unless he changes his approach, hardly practices especially compared to the top players, I see him dropping back into the lower regions of the rankings.(He's jumped to world number 2 after this win) 

20 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

It all came together for him over the tournament but unless he changes his approach, hardly practices especially compared to the top players

Perhaps we should apply for next year! 😂 

Let’s dust that cue down!

I watched very little of the tournament but did see that last few frames of the final.

He also got 1st and 2nd in shot of the tournament.

The winning shot for that award was sublime.

Good luck to him - he deserves the recognition.