So Farewell Then Bomber

shull

My biggest memory of him was him scoring an own goal against St Mirren in the 2nd leg of the League Cup Semi only for the referee to disallow it for offside.

I'd have been pretty young at the time so there's probably an element of exaggeration to my memory but I've got it down as a header from about 30 yards as well and it powering in. I also remember that game as being the one where John "Polaris" McDonald managed to get a penalty out of falling down in the penalty box with no-one within 5 yards of him to put St Mirren out.

Edited by Stuart Dickson

Although the SC semi with the Sandy Clark "goal" has been talked about more, this game proved without a shadow of doubt how biased the referees in this country are.

Aside from the penalty Lex Richardson was completely taken out at the Broomloan Rd end by Jackson or Forsyth only for the ref to wave play on. It was criminal what went on that night to ensure that Rangers went through.

St Mirren fans had the top and lower tier of the Broomloan Rd end IIRC. Never seen a crowd leave before completely stunned by what they saw as downright cheating.

I believe the game was televised. But no doubt it has been erased.

I was in the Govan Stand that night. We used to do that quite regularly back in those days. The stadium always seemed that empty that you could sit anywhere you wanted. Four of us sat with St Mirren scarves on and my mates older brother - the driver - being the only Rangers supporter in our group.

I'm sure you're right about TV at the game. There certainly was highlights. I remember wanted to get home to watch it again specifically because I couldn't understand why the own goal had been disallowed or why Rangers had been given the late penalty. I was still arguing about it with Rangers fans at school the day after too - Rangers fans who hadn't been at the game I hasten to add.

Anyway its the Colin Jackson memorial thread so I'll leave it there. Sad he's died so young, shame his own goal didn't count - I'm sure it was a cracker.

That's now 4 players from the starting eleven of Rangers dead since when we played them in the Premier League in 1977 under Fergie.

http://www.stmirrenprogrammes.co.uk/StMirren/STM_Match_Details.php?Season=1977&GameID=1643

Sandy Jardine, Colin Jackson, Bobby McKean and Davie Cooper.

That was a great game with great players on both sides.

And thousands of Blue Vermin Scumbags on the Terraces.

Twice they rioted, invaded the pitch and got the match stopped.

I am glad that Club is no more.