Some Bloke Called Lex Told Me That...

Bud the Baker

...with their qualification this evening, Hungary have became the latest European team to join the long list to have qualified for a major finals more recently than Scotland. Here's the full list (I don't think I've missed any but I could be wrong):

Germany
Spain
Holland
England
France
Italy
Latvia
Norway
Poland
Austria
Sweden
Denmark
Portugal
Switzerland
Croatia
Iceland
Serbia and Montenegro (also as Yugoslavia)
Bosnia
Wales
Northern Ireland
Republic of Ireland
Slovenia
Slovakia
Albania
Czech Republic
Belgium
Greece
Russia
Turkey
Ukraine
Bulgaria
Romania
Hungary

I make that a remarkable 33 European countries to have qualified for a major finals since 1998. 33 out of 54 current UEFA members, most of Europe have qualified more recently than us. When you consider of the 21 who haven't qualified since 1998 a good portion are no hopers who will never qualify like Gibraltar, Lichtenstein, Andorra etc... It really gives a bit of perspective of the company we are keeping.

The most prestigious nations not on the list are the likes of Finland, Cyprus and Israel... Desperate times indeed.

Personally I blame it on the appointment of Andy Roxburgh & Craig Brown to manage the national team in 1986 - I felt we changed our style too much even though we qualified for two WC tournaments in the '90's.

• 1990 when the full effects of the change hadn't worked it way through although even by then my opinion was that we were clearly on the slide.
  • 1998 when the tournament had been enlarged to include 32 teams.

Since then we have largely continued with the policy of playing football "the right way" with little success while the main architect of our downfall lives out his career in a succession of sinecures.

Edited by Bud the Baker

...with their qualification this evening, Hungary have became the latest European team to join the long list to have qualified for a major finals more recently than Scotland. Here's the full list (I don't think I've missed any but I could be wrong):

Germany

Spain

Holland

England

France

Italy

Latvia

Norway

Poland

Austria

Sweden

Denmark

Portugal

Switzerland

Croatia

Iceland

Serbia and Montenegro (also as Yugoslavia)

Bosnia

Wales

Northern Ireland

Republic of Ireland

Slovenia

Slovakia

Albania

Czech Republic

Belgium

Greece

Russia

Turkey

Ukraine

Bulgaria

Romania

Hungary

I make that a remarkable 33 European countries to have qualified for a major finals since 1998. 33 out of 54 current UEFA members, most of Europe have qualified more recently than us. When you consider of the 21 who haven't qualified since 1998 a good portion are no hopers who will never qualify like Gibraltar, Lichtenstein, Andorra etc... It really gives a bit of perspective of the company we are keeping.

The most prestigious nations not on the list are the likes of Finland, Cyprus and Israel... Desperate times indeed.

Personally I blame it on the appointment of Andy Roxburgh & Craig Brown to manage the national team in 1986 - I felt we changed our style too much even though we qualified for two WC tournaments in the '90's.

• 1990 when the full effects of the change hadn't worked it way through although even by then my opinion was that we were clearly on the slide.
  • 1998 when the tournament had been enlarged to include 32 teams.

Since then we have largely continued with the policy of playing football "the right way" with little success while the main architect of our downfall lives out his career in a succession of sinecures.

Andy Roxburgh, the man who went on telly (with a straight face) to defend his choice of Roy Aitken as a creative midlield playmaker

You could still see it in the U21's on Friday. TECHNICALLY Scotland were BETTER than Ukraine. There was no one on the pitch to match McGinn, while Cummings, King and Henderson were also good technically.

But oh dear we defended like fannies. We were over elaborate in the final third where we took the safe option every time.

We also looked disorganised in midfield where as ever movement was poor.

Edited by insaintee