A classic that almost never was........

Bud the Baker

Listening to Absolute '70's radio and they've just played Tears of A Clown by Smokey Robinson & The Miracles. The track was originally recorded by Smokey back in 1967 & had gone unnoticed until Motown UK were releasing a Smokey elpee in 1970. The track (of his tears) was a favourite of the head of the UK Motown fan club & was added as a filler to get the album up to minimum acceptable length on her advice and then someone at the record company recognized how good it was and decided to release it as a single and the rest is history.......

............oh yeah, so technically it's not even a '70's song! :spud5

Edited by Bud the Baker

22 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

The Beat recorded a version also. Would love to hear the demos Rick James recorded with Neil Young at Motown they must be lying somewhere in their volts. 

I saw Robert Plant perform a version of The Beats' Mirror In The Bathroom live - as ever old Planty rocked it.......

Still listening to '70's radio - currently Bad Company 's Feel Like Making Love. Missed their recent show in Glasgow which apparently was quite short, just over 60 minutes plus a coupla encores. I suppose age catches up.

Edited by Bud the Baker

1 minute ago, Bud the Baker said:

I saw Robert Plant perform a version of The Beat's Mirror In The Bathroom live - as ever old Planty rocked it.......

Still listening to '70's radio - currently Bad Company 's Feel Like Making Love. Missed their recent show in Glasgow which apparently was quite short, just over 60 minutes plus a coupla encores. I suppose age catches up.

Robert Plant doing mirror in the bathroom wow would loved to have heard that. Have played that song to a few of my daughters mates all really liked it. Still sounds fresh.  As for Bad Company love their music as a young boy used to listen to Shooting Star intensely as I loved the lyrics.  Me and the mate went to see them but was disappointed ,  very sit and listen gig. 

3 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Robert Plant doing mirror in the bathroom wow would loved to have heard that. Have played that song to a few of my daughters mates all really liked it. Still sounds fresh.  As for Bad Company love their music as a young boy used to listen to Shooting Star intensely as I loved the lyrics.  Me and the mate went to see them but was disappointed ,  very sit and listen gig. 

Like I said age catches up, Mick Ralphs must be in his 70's cos MTH were around for a while before becoming successful and Paul Rogers not far off it. Even the two guys I know who went are mid to late 50's.

Was at two gigs last week on Thursday and Friday - on Saturday I was a zombie - Colin but not Bluntstone.

It's odd how some songs develop, take Walk on the Wild Side by Lou Reed - musically what makes that song is the bass line by Herbie Flowers which is double tracked on a upright bass and a standard electric one.

Whose idea was this?

• Songwriter Lou Reed's - Nope
  • Producers David Bowie or Mick Ronson's  - Nope

It was Herbie's idea because as a session musician he got payed for each instrument played on a track, thus double tracked bass = double the money! Would the song have been as big a hit without the fat bass sound - who knows?

I could probably rabbit on about R'n'R trivia all day but real life intervenes so I must get the messages and cook the tea as that's what I do on my days off - and I've still got the housework to do! A woman's work is never done - especially if I'm the one doing it! :bag

Edited by Bud the Baker

2 hours ago, Bud the Baker said:

Like I said age catches up, Mick Ralphs must be in his 70's cos MTH were around for a while before becoming successful and Paul Rogers not far off it. Even the two guys I know who went are mid to late 50's.

Was at two gigs last week on Thursday and Friday - on Saturday I was a zombie - Colin but not Bluntstone.

Pretty sure Mick Ralphs is in the early stages of cancer treatment just now, which might explain any lacklustre shows of late...

4 hours ago, Bud the Baker said:

It's odd how some songs develop, take Walk on the Wild Side by Lou Reed - musically what makes that song is the bass line by Herbie Flowers which is double tracked on a upright bass and a standard electric one.

Whose idea was this?

• Songwriter Lou Reed's - Nope
  • Producers David Bowie or Mick Ronson's  - Nope

It was Herbie's idea because as a session musician he got payed for each instrument played on a track, thus double tracked bass = double the money! Would the song have been as big a hit without the fat bass sound - who knows?

I could probably rabbit on about R'n'R trivia all day but real life intervenes so I must get the messages and cook the tea as that's what I do on my days off - and I've still got the housework to do! A woman's work is never done - especially if I'm the one doing it! :bag

If you listen to demos it's very basic nine times out of ten. Producers and sound engineers should never be underestimated. These guys bring a song to life. If you have not read Nile  Rogers autobiography I strongly recommend it. He produced the biggest selling albums for Inexs , Bowie,Madonna, Diana Ross plus many more other hit albums. Bowie had a mush of ideas for the Let's Dance album. Nile  drafted  in the Chic  musicians   listen to China girl it's classic Nile guitar . It was not Bowie best album by a long shoot but it was his biggest selling album. You are right about the bass Walk On The Wilde  Side that song would not be the same with out it. 

42 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

If you listen to demos it's very basic nine times out of ten. Producers and sound engineers should never be underestimated. These guys bring a song to life. If you have not read Nile  Rogers autobiography I strongly recommend it. He produced the biggest selling albums for Inexs , Bowie,Madonna, Diana Ross plus many more other hit albums. Bowie had a mush of ideas for the Let's Dance album. Nile  drafted  in the Chic  musicians   listen to China girl it's classic Nile guitar . It was not Bowie best album by a long shoot but it was his biggest selling album. You are right about the bass Walk On The Wilde  Side that song would not be the same with out it. 

The right producer and artist can produce exceptional work. Let's Dance hit the spot in the mid-80's and while it is his best selling album reflecting back 20 years later Bowie thought it was a bit too commercial - I'd put in in the middle of his output, not one of the best but not a clunker like Tonight. On the other hand the wrong combo can produce material that's grating eg. the recently late Lenny Cohen's album that was produced by Phil Spector in the mid-70's - it's so bad I'd have to look it up to tell you what it's called and none of the songs from it were included on The Essential LC - a double CD!

Edited by Bud the Baker