Top Five Restaurants

Isle Of Bute Saint

Being in the catering trade I often go out with Mrs Lochwinnoch to eat in reataurants to find new idea's and inspiration. Of the many I have ate in here are in my view the best by quite a margin.

Put down yours can be any type of food, even a chippy !

1- Braidwoods Restaurant just outside Dalry. This is a cracker of a place. Fixed menu of 4 courses for £36.00 can be washed down with good wine in the £15.00 bracket which is not a rip off. This is a husband and wife team who are both holders of master chef's of great Britain. The restaurant also has a Michelin star. Well worth a visit. You have to book this 4 weeks in advance. That should tell you something ?

2- Ragano Another class place though the decor is a bit 60s however the food more than make up for this.

3 - 78 St Vincent Street Restaurant Good nosh

4-City Merchant Restaurant Good for seafood !

5- Glenleven Inn. A pub in Kilbarchan with food the beats off a lot of so called good restaurants.

All of the above need to be booked especially at weekends.

Stravaigan on Byres Rd is bluidy good too.

And in my spelling mode - Rogano. Yes it's most fine

The Chip in Ruthven lane is still fine.

Sartis in bath street - the cooking's great, but don't go in the weekend when the service is p1sh.

Thanx for the hints for your places- must give 3 and 4 a go. :P

And in my spelling mode - Rogano. Yes it's most fine

woops ! Thanks Tom McB.

I have heard their is a good restaurant in Langbank, you would not know it's name by any chance ?

The Chip is that the one off Byres Rd. If so I thought it was a bit pricy for what it was. In saying that a lot of Glasgow's Restaurants are a bit on the high side of which I found the La Gamba to be well over the top.

I will try Stravaigan's

I have heard their is a good restaurant in Langbank, you would not know it's name by any chance ?

Would that be the Gleddoch House? Wasn't it destroyed by fire a couple of years ago? :unsure:

Or there's the Langbank Lodge which always seems to be mobbed whenever I pass it. Last time I was in there though I thought the food was nothing special, but that was a few years ago now...

Oh, and here are some others for consideration:

1. The Battlefield Rest. Used to be the old tram shelter. Great food, good prices, excellent service.

2. Morris's in Largs. Don't expect to be able to book or pay with a credit card. But the food is great, cheap and plenty of it!

3. The Harbour Inn, Bowmore. OK, it's not exactly "in the area" but it's well worth the 4-hour drive and 2-hour ferry crossing! Or maybe it's cos I was pished and someone else was paying. :D

4. Papillon, Gourock. Upstairs from the Victoria Bar with its legendary spirit measures. A few aperitifs, great nosh - try their £17.95 menu of the day - then back down for some digestifs. Make sure you take the train :)

5. Sprinters, Renfrew. American-stylee diner. Once again, no booking and quite mad on a Saturday night. But the food is great...

Edited by Reidy1987

Jeez oh Jimbo you get about !

The daughter wife and dug like a hoof along the front in Largs. I like the drive down ( put the foot down ) :D So I will try Morris Inn. where abouts is it ?

For a fish tea it's hard to beat the one on Storie Street.

Or McFees on Byers Road accross from the tube. You can get a salmon supper there and they let you take in your own bottle. Oddbins is only two doors down :D

Would that be the Gleddoch House? Wasn't it destroyed by fire a couple of years ago? :unsure:

Or there's the Langbank Lodge which always seems to be mobbed whenever I pass it. Last time I was in there though I thought the food was nothing special, but that was a few years ago now...

It was part of the hotel at Gleddoch that burnt down just over a year ago. Not sure how much has been rebuilt.

The restaurant up at the golf club is nothing special.

There's a great all you can eat Chinese place in Greenock, near the big Tesco, which I was in in December.

Stravaigan is good but can be pricey- if you go monday to thursday the restuarant is a bit more quiet and they normally let you have the pre- theatre, which is normally excellent, without any requirement to vacate your table by a set time.

Phone in advance to check that out.

Reidy's bang on about the battlefied rest.

And Gourock is well worth the visit. The shabby state of my liver is due, in part, to the haufs sold in the Vic.

Jeez oh Jimbo you get about !

The daughter wife and dug like a hoof along the front in Largs. I like the drive down ( put the foot down ) :D So I will try Morris Inn. where abouts is it ?

For a fish tea it's hard to beat the one on Storie Street.

Or McFees on Byers Road accross from the tube. You can get a salmon supper there and they let you take in your own bottle. Oddbins is only two doors down :D

Morris's is on the front, just along from Nardini's. Definitely worth a visit. :)

It was part of the hotel at Gleddoch that burnt down just over a year ago. Not sure how much has been rebuilt.

The restaurant up at the golf club is nothing special.

There's a great all you can eat Chinese place in Greenock, near the big Tesco, which I was in in December.

That would be the Jade Palace in Westburn Street. Excellent buffet as you say, went there for Chrimbo day out with work buds, very reasonable, very nice.

Morris's Largs: Isn't that just CHOCKERS with old bints, Reidy!?! :blink::)

Strangely enough, I've never been to Papillon yet. Gourock is good for drink as you say too, where I go most weekends, one of the best pub crawls in Scotland.