The Best Things On Tv

Bill Lees

1. Brian Sewell's Grand Tour (Channel 5). In which the impossibly

camp, witheringly critical, and incredibly knowledgable Mr. Sewell

re-creates the "Grand Tour" of Italy undertaken by all the best well-

heeled young gents in the 18th century. Beautiful footage of the

best and most exquisite architectural and artistic treasures in Florence, Padua,

Bologna, Venice and Rome. Brian Sewell is quite, quite wonderful,

and a National Treasure in my book.

2. Dragon's Den (BBC2). In which various would be entrepreneurs

pitch their business propositions to five frankly quite loathsome

investors, in the hope of persuading them to part with some of their

vast bucket-loads of cash (which is helpfully piled up in huge

stacks of banknotes on tables in front of them) by way of investing

in their businesses. It's a kind of X-Factor for the 1980s city

bonus-boy generation, if you like. It's quite apalling, but

watchable in a sort of car-crash rubber-necking way. Most of the

entrpreneur's ideas are pitifully hopeless, of course, and half the

fun is watching the Dragons rip them to pieces, but they always

settle on one poor sod who has a really pretty good business

proposition. But what do they do then ? they bully the poor git into

parting with 80% of his company in return for their paltry £150,000,

or whatever. It's apalling, really. But you can't help watching.

I've admittedly caught on late. Is there anything better on ?

1. Brian Sewell's Grand Tour (Channel 5). In which the impossibly

camp, witheringly critical, and incredibly knowledgable Mr. Sewell

re-creates the "Grand Tour" of Italy undertaken by all the best well-

heeled young gents in the 18th century. Beautiful footage of the

best and most exquisite architectural and artistic treasures in Florence, Padua,

Bologna, Venice and Rome. Brian Sewell is quite, quite wonderful,

and a National Treasure in my book.

218522[/snapback]

Aye very good Bill.

Listen Brian Sewell is a pompous twat who thinks we all walk around up here in animal skins carrying clubs.Anything further than the Tate gallery in this country doesn't interest him. :angry: Oh aye....and he's english! :P

218522[/snapback]

Yep, I think this is a great programme whether you agree with the workings of it or not. Particularly enjoyed it last night when the Doctor put Duncan Bannatyne firmly in his place.

The panel are indeed pretty loathsome but I guess that's how you have to be to become multi-millionare businessmen! I don't think they'v ever asked for 80% of the company although the American guy asked for 60% once and was swiflty told where to get off.

One thing that has struck me is that the Dragons are totally risk averse. They don't seem to want to take a chance on anything. I was always under the impression that people like them made a big deal about them taking chances and risks and pulling it off from an impossible situation. Seems to me that they don't want any challenge or risk and just a big return in about a years time!!

On the topic of top TV, I agree, I coudn't think of a Top 5. It's all pish!!

Yep, I think this is a great programme whether you agree with the workings of it or not. Particularly enjoyed it last night when the Doctor put Duncan Bannatyne firmly in his place.

The panel are indeed pretty loathsome but I guess that's how you have to be to become multi-millionare businessmen! I don't think they'v ever asked for 80% of the company although the American guy asked for 60% once and was swiflty told where to get off.

One thing that has struck me is that the Dragons are totally risk averse. They don't seem to want to take a chance on anything. I was always under the impression that people like them made a big deal about them taking chances and risks and pulling it off from an impossible situation. Seems to me that they don't want any challenge or risk and just a big return in about a years time!!

218579[/snapback]

I just like the whole concept of staking your life's work on a 5 minute interview and then selling it up for bugger all. I actually think the ones that don't tempt the Dragons to invest get a better deal from the publicity of appearing on the show.

I just like the whole concept of staking your life's work on a 5 minute interview and then selling it up for bugger all.  I actually think the ones that don't tempt the Dragons to invest get a better deal from the publicity of appearing on the show.

218587[/snapback]

You've got to admit though, there are some right chancers on that show. And I'm not talking about the Dragons :D

Another show I'm getting addicted to is Deal or no deal. Yes, even though Noel Edmonds is on it, there's something strangely compulsive about it...

You've got to admit though, there are some right chancers on that show. And I'm not talking about the Dragons :D

218594[/snapback]

There was a guy on last night who'd invented a new kind of sick bag that turned your puke into gel. Completely bonkers.

Another show I'm getting addicted to is Deal or no deal. Yes, even though Noel Edmonds is on it, there's something strangely compulsive about it...

218594[/snapback]

Agreed Reidy. Once you've started watching it you can't walk away. Totally compelling in a weird sort of way. I've actually applied to be on it! :o

218594[/snapback]

Yeah i've found myself drawn to that and i dont even like wee Noel. It's a wonderfully simple concept but you have to watch from the start to appreciate it. Wonder if there is a banker or if wee Noel just whitters on to himself. :huh:

Yeah i've found myself drawn to that and i dont even like wee Noel. It's a wonderfully simple concept but you have to watch from the start to appreciate it. Wonder if there is a banker or if wee Noel just whitters on to himself. :huh:

218618[/snapback]

Agree with this about Deal or No Deal, and also think Dragons Den is pretty good as well. At least there's a point to DD unlike so many reality style TV shows. Watched it last night - bugger that got £225k for selling 50% of his company to two of the Dragons did well eh?

As for Deal or No Deal, think there is a banker...one of the contestants talked to the guy one time as I remember but that don't prove anything I suppose. :wink:

Agree with this about Deal or No Deal, and also think Dragons Den is pretty good as well.  At least there's a point to DD unlike so many reality style TV shows.  Watched it last night - bugger that got £225k for selling 50% of his company to two of the Dragons did well eh?

218651[/snapback]

Well, he seemed to think so. What I'd really like to see would be a follow up on some of these deals to see whether it all went pear-shaped or if they made a success of things with the Dragons' dosh.

Well, he seemed to think so. What I'd really like to see would be a follow up on some of these deals to see whether it all went pear-shaped or if they made a success of things with the Dragons' dosh.

218652[/snapback]

Meant to be such a show in the near future. Was advertised after last night's wasn't it? :huh:

218652[/snapback]

Tune into BBC 2 tonight at 7pm and you'll see what you really want to see!! :D

A follow up from the first series.

As for Deal Or No Deal, surely the banker must exist and I'd presume that he is some sort of betting man who knows how to hedge properly.

Edited by Thorizaar

Best things on the telly, as far as I’m concerned, are the busy lizzy, the blow up rubber doll (deflated) nailed by its feet to the box and the photo of me old man.

Edited by Howard Hughes in BlueSuedeShoes