Wireless

Tennant's Lager

We're looking to set up a wireless broadband connection to a second comp (laptop) here in the near future. I'm wanting my connection hard wired in though - figure I might as well try to keep it simple as the cable modem's here anyway, and for better security. Figure the less changes we have to make, the less can go wrong, or that's the theory anyway. :lol:

The question is, exactly what do we need and who makes the best stuff for it? Netgear? Belkin? Someone else? I know a wireless router is a must, but is there anything else that has to go on the shopping list?

Also I'd like to know where people on here have had problems with it in the past - the dos and don'ts kinda thing.

Any help would be much appreciated - cheers in advance. :)

We're looking to set up a wireless broadband connection to a second comp (laptop) here in the near future. I'm wanting my connection hard wired in though - figure I might as well try to keep it simple as the cable modem's here anyway, and for better security. Figure the less changes we have to make, the less can go wrong, or that's the theory anyway. :lol:

The question is, exactly what do we need and who makes the best stuff for it? Netgear? Belkin? Someone else? I know a wireless router is a must, but is there anything else that has to go on the shopping list?

Also I'd like to know where people on here have had problems with it in the past - the dos and don'ts kinda thing.

If you know anything about wireless - see if you can solve my problems first on the 'I need advice thread' in this forum...

Then I'll relay the information to you Dave

I believe that the two previous posts are in some form of code............... :wub::wub:

TL, i have a spare BRAND NEW router that hasnt been used EVER! If you want it, I'm sure we could come to some arrangement.

How its listed on ebay:

Brand New Cable/DSL Wireless Router with 4 Port 10/100 Switch.

Complies with IEEE 802.11b/11g, data rate up to 54 Mbps

Capable of up to 128-bit WEP encryption

Web-based management, Remote management

Supports PPPoE & VPN (PPTP, IP - Sec pass through)

Natural firewall keeps hackers out (plus security alerts)

Auto detects and configures ISP type

This wireless router is compatible with Windows editions XP, ME, 2000 & 98SE and is IEEE 802.11g compliant with a built-in 4-port fast ethernet switch. It brings the latest wireless technology with high speed up to 54 Mbps and is bacwards compatible with all existing 802.11b products. This high-performance IEEE 802.11g standards-based router connects all of your PC's equipped with wireless PC cards, while an integrated 4-port fast ethernet switch connects your devices that require ethernet wiring.

It's the easiest way to share and extend your high-speed DSL/cable modem internet connection, either with or without wires.

Dimensions/Weight:

160mm (6.3 inches) x 108mm (4.25 inches) x 30mm (1.18 inches) (L x W x H)/235g

Operating Range

Outdoor environment - 150m @ 11Mbps, 250m @ 5.5Mbps or lower, Indoor environment - 25m @ 11Mbps, 100m @ 5.5Mbps or lower.

--------------------------------

Wireless router comes packaged and includes antenna, installation instructions, External DC 12V 800mA power adaptor, driver/software (on cd) and RJ-45 ethernet cable

SINCEREST APOLOGIES FOR A LACK OF PHOTO, HOWEVER UNABLE TO REPRODUCE ONE.

TL, i have a spare BRAND NEW router that hasnt been used EVER! If you want it, I'm sure we could come to some arrangement.

How its listed on ebay:

Brand New Cable/DSL Wireless Router with 4 Port 10/100 Switch.

Complies with IEEE 802.11b/11g, data rate up to 54 Mbps

Capable of up to 128-bit WEP encryption

Web-based management, Remote management

Supports PPPoE & VPN (PPTP, IP - Sec pass through)

Natural firewall keeps hackers out (plus security alerts)

Auto detects and configures ISP type

This wireless router is compatible with Windows editions XP, ME, 2000 & 98SE and is IEEE 802.11g compliant with a built-in 4-port fast ethernet switch. It brings the latest wireless technology with high speed up to 54 Mbps and is bacwards compatible with all existing 802.11b products. This high-performance IEEE 802.11g standards-based router connects all of your PC's equipped with wireless PC cards, while an integrated 4-port fast ethernet switch connects your devices that require ethernet wiring.

It's the easiest way to share and extend your high-speed DSL/cable modem internet connection, either with or without wires.

Dimensions/Weight:

160mm (6.3 inches) x 108mm (4.25 inches) x 30mm (1.18 inches) (L x W x H)/235g

Operating Range

Outdoor environment - 150m @ 11Mbps, 250m @ 5.5Mbps or lower, Indoor environment - 25m @ 11Mbps, 100m @ 5.5Mbps or lower.

--------------------------------

Wireless router comes packaged and includes antenna, installation instructions, External DC 12V 800mA power adaptor, driver/software (on cd) and RJ-45 ethernet cable

SINCEREST APOLOGIES FOR A LACK OF PHOTO, HOWEVER UNABLE TO REPRODUCE ONE.

Thanks for the heads up about this one bud - much appreciated. Can I just ask what make it is?

Not sure if I'll take you up on it but it sounds alright. We might be wanting one that does the fast 120Mbps (?) rate is all.

Thanks again though and I'll bear it in mind if we don't go for the big fast ones. :)

Btw - cheers for the PM as well. :)

In my personal opinion, stick to Linksys.

I've had Netgear, Billion and US Robotics wireless kit over the past 2 years and now Linksys. The new boxes give much better range, better speed, easy security for the novice and an integrated firewall.

You'll need a wireless card on your laptop too :P

Speed only really matters if you are transferring streaming content around your house from computer to computer. Lets face it - a 54Mb wireless connection even when degraded through walls or whatever - is going to be easy enough to handle a 10Mb tops internet feed.

Linksys = Cisco = Top kit :lol:

The Linksys box also does Mac spoofing (in fairness most of them do now) which is essential for you NTL cable dudes as NTL tie down their cable modems to only be available to the MAC address of the computer that initially installed the service.

Thus you need to spoof that computers MAC to the new wireless router and it "pretends" to be that machine that is allowed to connect to t'internet.

Here to help B)

In my personal opinion, stick to Linksys.

I've had Netgear, Billion and US Robotics wireless kit over the past 2 years and now Linksys. The new boxes give much better range, better speed, easy security for the novice and an integrated firewall.

You'll need a wireless card on your laptop too :P

Speed only really matters if you are transferring streaming content around your house from computer to computer. Lets face it - a 54Mb wireless connection even when degraded through walls or whatever - is going to be easy enough to handle a 10Mb tops internet feed.

Linksys = Cisco = Top kit :lol:

The Linksys box also does Mac spoofing (in fairness most of them do now) which is essential for you NTL cable dudes as NTL tie down their cable modems to only be available to the MAC address of the computer that initially installed the service.

Thus you need to spoof that computers MAC to the new wireless router and it "pretends" to be that machine that is allowed to connect to t'internet.

Here to help B)

Cheers Divmeister. That helps a lot. :)

According to some in the know geeks, wireless access operates on the same wavelength as cordless telephones and microwaves. Which means that if you have a fat chatty wife / burd you will lose your Internet connection on an irritating regular basis. :blink:

According to some in the know geeks, wireless access operates on the same wavelength as cordless telephones and microwaves. Which means that if you have a fat chatty wife / burd you will lose your Internet connection on an irritating regular basis. :blink:

Where have you been Sid? :rolleyes:

Thanks for the heads up about this one bud - much appreciated. Can I just ask what make it is?

Not sure if I'll take you up on it but it sounds alright. We might be wanting one that does the fast 120Mbps (?) rate is all.

Thanks again though and I'll bear it in mind if we don't go for the big fast ones. :)

Btw - cheers for the PM as well. :)

There is no sign of a manufacturer on the box which is kinda weird. Its fully functional in that you can plug your modem in and away you go. I actually have a wireless card I can chuck in as well as my new laptop has wireless built in.

Those in the know geeks will also know that, in the very unlikely event of the wireless signal clashing with another device in the home, that you can simply change the channel on which your wireless network service operates.

Here to help :P

Those in the know geeks will also know that, in the very unlikely event of the wireless signal clashing with another device in the home, that you can simply change the channel on which your wireless network service operates.

Here to help :P

Correct. I use a 3Com wireless broadband router and frequently use the cordless phone on the desk beside the PC whilst logged on, and I've never had any problems whatsoever with losing the connection.

I've a linskey's broadband router you can have for a small fee, you'll only need the usb plug in..............

Ive got a brand spanker (open the box before cancelling and getting to keep it, though) its a wireless modem (came from BT) but dont think it says BT on it I'll need to check

I do know that you can do the wireless thingy ma jiggy and plug 4-5 home PCs into it aswell ...... Oh and plug your PS2 and XBox into it at the same time..... and a few home phones etc ......

I'll let you know when I can be arsed typing all the gear off the box.... Small fee aswell and its yours, Like £2 and its yours :rolleyes:

There should be a subforum on the e-saints forum called e-commerce or something like that if people have things like routers they want to get rid of or peopel looking to buy old saints shirts etc.

There was talk a fair while ago now (talking a year or so now at least) that we should set up the "Black & White Pages" on the site - a place where fellow buds could recommend good tradesmen, garages etc.

That suggestion of yours could be a part of it hockeying, though in fairness there is already P&B Bay or whatever Div called it on the sister site.... :rolleyes:

what point did you get to Hollz?

I'd guess that you first need to get your laptop connected up to your broadband modem using a cable, then go and do the wireless stuff, start checking that your laptops wifi card is switched on and i'd guess that you're then plugging the wireless router into the modem using the cable that you'd previously plugged the laptop into and seeing if the two talk to each other.

I'm not great on the techy side, but it should be step by step. Dunno if any of the current computer mags have a guide or if there's anything on a website that'd take you through it.