Bbc Article On Signings

Good article on the BBC page today, asking fans of 11 SPFL clubs to give their thoughts on signings... ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25534679

Not sure who this muppet is... but here are his thoughts!!! whistling.gif

St Mirren supporter Dave MacDonald.

Who do you want the club to sign?

Our main problem we have is an over-reliance on Steven Thompson up front. We have already secured Adam Campbell on loan from Newcastle for the rest of the season, who is seemingly very quick and skilful, but we will undoubtedly struggle if Thommo gets injured. If we can't keep Marian Kello and Conor Newton, then they would also be big shoes to fill.

Any player(s) you'd be happy to wave goodbye to?

Most of the summer recruits haven't worked out, which is really why we had such an abysmal start to the season. David Cornell is a cert to return to Swansea, Kealan Dillon has already gone, as has Stephane Bohaken and it looks like Jake Caprice might be off too. I've been really disappointed in both Danny Grainger and Gary Harkins too, neither of whom look like they are willing to work hard to regain their starting places.

Summer signing(s) that have still to prove themselves?

As above, I think Gary Harkins and Danny Grainger have been the major disappointments. Harkins has unquestioned ability but can't be accommodated in central midfield as he isn't anywhere near as good as Paul McGowan. Grainger came with high expectations but never really got going and, frankly, young Sean Kelly who has replaced him has been a revelation.

Which player(s) must you absolutely keep during the window?

John McGinn, Kenny McLean and Paul McGowan are all central to our forward play and it would be great to keep Conor Newton for the rest of the season too.

Is there a player(s) who has pleasantly surprised you this year?

I think both young full-backs - Jason Naismith and Sean Kelly - pretty much saved Danny Lennon's bacon this season. Both came into the team at roughly the same time and the energy and positivity in their play has been a joy to behold. Naismith is incredibly strong whilst Kelly has a keen eye for goal. Both have been absolutely superb and it was great to see the club reward them both with new contract extensions.

If money was no object, who would you love to see at your club?

Although Cristiano Ronaldo is arguably now the best in the world, I think Luis Suarez would provide a better foil for Steven Thompson. He'd certainly give us that extra bite up front.

Favourite signing of all time for your club?

Although we have been fortunate to have some truly exceptional players at the club over the years, it's hard to look past Steven Thompson as being one of the great coups for St Mirren. As a boyhood fan he bleeds black and white, and his goalscoring ratio for a club our size is phenomenal. His cathartic moment in the League Cup final of 2013 cemented his place as a bona fide club legend.

So... same questions to you... ... ... ...

Kello... check! Dilo on a longer deal.

Any high-earning defender who will be out of contract at the end of the season and isn't getting a regular game! whistling.gif

Grainger... but only as he's about the only one left and Dilo has shown enough to impress.

Without the Tommohawks goals we would be in deep doo-doo!

Naismith... looks way beyond what I would have expected for a young defender.

A cryogenically frozen and then rejuvenated Jackie Copland!

Fitzy wouldn't count as a signing... unless second time around but Fitzy MK I would have been my hero...

Jackie Copland was the experience we needed to turn a young team into a solid and entertaining outfit... and with him at the back today I reckon we could repeat that. However...after over 30 years, a new kid on the block has stolen that title... the cathartic Thommo... since times have changed and in all probability, had it not been for his love of the club we would have no right to see a player of his influence and quality in the stripes.

Guest somner9

No surprises there another dig at our cup final winning manager. surprised that The "if money was no object pick" wasn't,t to extend lee Mair,s contract for ten years

No surprises there another dig at our cup final winning manager. surprised that The "if money was no object pick" wasn't,t to extend lee Mair,s contract for ten years

you don't half let paranoia cloud your vision!

I am actually one who regularly defends our manager... I just happen to feel that (as the question posed by the BBC and not created by anyone with an agenda asks), I would see losing that particular player as less of a loss to our squad than other players... especially if the wage was used for that cryogenically recovered Copland!

What a strange post! Are you bevvied perchance? whistling.gif

you don't half let paranoia cloud your vision!

I am actually one who regularly defends our manager... I just happen to feel that (as the question posed by the BBC and not created by anyone with an agenda asks), I would see losing that particular player as less of a loss to our squad than other players... especially if the wage was used for that cryogenically recovered Copland!

What a strange post! Are you bevvied perchance? Posted Image

looks like he's having a go at Divs and not yours, maybe paranoia clouding your judgement ;-)

That would make more sense but without using the quote facility it is impossible to tell... besides... I really don't see that much to get het up about in the original response.

Fully agree but Somner9 has been having a rather one sided feud with Div since Div made a post questioning Danny's position earlier in the season.

My guess is that he thinks the part about the young fullbacks saving Danny's job is a dig at him.

Totally forgot about this, was asked these questions just before Christmas.

Not sure why Somner was getting fret about my responses.

For me it's fairly obvious that the young players saved Danny's job earlier this season, but it's all about opinions !

I would love to see us sign a midfielder with the scoring power that Andy Dorman had when he was with the club

David Barron. How many years and how much money have we wasted on David. He is a decent enough player but his injury record is appalling

Seeing as Dilo was only signed as a back up, that leaves Grainger as the only 1 left as far as i'm aware.

John McGinn!!!!

Darren Mcgregeor, Jason Naismith and Sean Kelly.

Eden Hazard. Hazard on the left Teale on the right offers plenty of pace. From the SPL probably Ryan Gauld.

Would have said Isma but since he was only here for a short time I will say Thommo