Gerry Adams Arrested !

shull

I have no doubts that he and his pal, McGuinness, actually pulled the trigger at the back of someone's head on more than one occasion.

The received (or if you prefer perceived) wisdom over here is that Adams never fired a gun but McGuinness did. If Martin Mcguinness wasn't a total abstinence pioneer, he would have been able to dine out for years on his fame of having fired the first shot on Bloody Sunday. That piece of 'history' has of course been rewritten for obvious reason. Adams apparently condemned a lot of men and women to death (from both sides of the religious divide) but it is thought he never actually delivered the coup de grace personally.

I believe that the Good Friday Agreement virtually means that both Adams and McGuinness are untouchable so far as terrorist actions are concerned but the Jean McConville case just could be Gerry Adams's Achilles' heel. But I doubt if he will ever do time.

The received (or if you prefer perceived) wisdom over here is that Adams never fired a gun but McGuinness did. If Martin Mcguinness wasn't a total abstinence pioneer, he would have been able to dine out for years on his fame of having fired the first shot on Bloody Sunday. That piece of 'history' has of course been rewritten for obvious reason. Adams apparently condemned a lot of men and women to death (from both sides of the religious divide) but it is thought he never actually delivered the coup de grace personally.

I believe that the Good Friday Agreement virtually means that both Adams and McGuinness are untouchable so far as terrorist actions are concerned but the Jean McConville case just could be Gerry Adams's Achilles' heel. But I doubt if he will ever do time.

Aye, I could go with that, he looks like he'd be happy to sit in the background, dispensing orders (justice, by his logic) whilst others do his dirty work, meanwhile McG has more the look of a streetfighter. But we all know there were no Republican shots fired on BS, only those fired by the Basturt Brits. whistling.gif

I worked in Dublin for a couple of years and it's amazing the lengths of denial and deflection that some people are willing to got to, the number of times i backed out of an argument, sorry, "discussion" cos they were getting far too fiery and heavy (sometimes dangerous)

Edited by Happy Buddie

Some incredible posts here!

26 people were killed on Bloody Sunday - all of them unarmed, most either running away from the soldiers, crawling or lying on the ground, some were shot in the back. Not a single British Army soldier was killed or injured.

I'm certainly not an aologist for the IRA or Irish nationalists, but these are facts. There is no justification for shooting unarmed civilians running away!

Some incredible posts here!

26 people were killed on Bloody Sunday - all of them unarmed, most either running away from the soldiers, crawling or lying on the ground, some were shot in the back. Not a single British Army soldier was killed or injured.

I'm certainly not an aologist for the IRA or Irish nationalists, but these are facts. There is no justification for shooting unarmed civilians running away!

It was nowhere near 26 but in any event I've never said there was justification. It was at one time virtually accepted that the army was fired on first and I've heard that many on both sides knew with certainty that McGuinness fired the first shot. The Bloody Sunday Enquiry found that McGuinness had a Thompson sub-machine gun there with him that day but then said there was no proof he fired it.

Anyway, this post is really about Gerry Adams. I mentioned Martin McGuinness's name because he has been all over TV channels defending Gerry Adams and bringing up the matter of Bloody Sunday. What happened that day was reprehensible but there were no winners. Some young soldiers panicked that day and fired recklessly, of that there's no doubt. But a shoot to kill policy? There were a couple of hundred soldiers in Derry facing a crowd of anything between 3,000 to 30,000, depending on which estimate you choose to believe. If there was a shoot to kill policy that day I think the death toll would have been a lot higher than fourteen. Very few soldiers actually opened fire contrary to popular belief.

I find it ironic that the Jean McConville murder took place in the same year as Bloody Sunday. There are suggestions that Adams cannot be tried now after all this time. I don't think he will be. Strangely, the soldiers involved in Bloody Sunday still have the threat of further court appearances hovering over them.

The official death toll from 'The Troubles' is around 3,500. That figure is of course still rising. Of the 3,500 around 60% were killed by republicans, 30% by loyalists and 10% by British security forces. Almost 1,100 members of the security forces died.