Women's Football In Scotland

shull

Dear oh dear. It appears we have a number of misogynists amongst us. 

Ladies football is a rapidly expanding market with large number of grants available from lottery and national sponsorship funding. What sort of football club can claim to be a true community club and then exclude half of the population from ever playing? 

2 hours ago, Stuart Dickson said:

Ladies football is a rapidly expanding market with large number of grants available from lottery and national sponsorship funding. What sort of football club can claim to be a true community club and then exclude half of the population from ever playing? 

There is no such appearance.

However,  it does appear you are fixated upon St Mirren being first and foremost a true community club rather with all manner of irrelevant and potentially costly fingers In all sorts of different pies, than simply being a professional team trying to persist in the SPFL.

As a club to be newly owned by its fans, as a club it's now into its 5th manager in less than 3 years, as a club that has a new owner, as a club that is strapped for finance, as a club that suffered relegation and as a club that is currently facing relegation... I think all of its fans have a keen perception of what the club needs.

Why does your Wishaw lot not have an adult male team?  Or a walking team? Or a....

what sort of football club can.... Yadda yadda yadda yadda, gibberish gibberish gibberish 

There is no such appearance.

However,  it does appear you are fixated upon St Mirren being first and foremost a true community club rather with all manner of irrelevant and potentially costly fingers In all sorts of different pies, than simply being a professional team trying to persist in the SPFL.

As a club to be newly owned by its fans, as a club it's now into its 5th manager in less than 3 years, as a club that has a new owner, as a club that is strapped for finance, as a club that suffered relegation and as a club that is currently facing relegation... I think all of its fans have a keen perception of what the club needs.

Why does your Wishaw lot not have an adult male team?  Or a walking team? Or a....

what sort of football club can.... Yadda yadda yadda yadda, gibberish gibberish gibberish 

What the f**k are you talking about?

1. I haven't mentioned St Mirren anywhere on this thread till now.

2. Wishaw Wycombe have two adult sides competing in the amateur leagues this season.

On ‎24‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 1:59 AM, Stuart Dickson said:

It's good to see the growth in Scotland of women's football. Apparently now there are 249 registered football clubs (Under 13s upwards) with a total of 8,230 registered players. That's pretty rapid growth in a sport where the senior mens game seems to be going through one long terminal slump. Any senior football club that isn't pro active in this sector right now is missing out on a real opportunity. 

6 hours ago, Stuart Dickson said:

1 hour ago, Stuart Dickson said:

What the f**k are you talking about?

1. I haven't mentioned St Mirren anywhere on this thread till now.

My genuine apologies.

I naively trusted that someone posting on a St Mirren Forum, and making reference to a senior football club, would be referring to the club for which the forum has been established.  IE St Mirren.

Only a cretin would be referencing an entirely different Senior club.

The other explanation is that the misogynists mentioned are known supporters of Senior teams of an entirely different hue from b+w.

I'll let the readers decide which is the obvious explanation.

My genuine apologies.

I naively trusted that someone posting on a St Mirren Forum, and making reference to a senior football club, would be referring to the club for which the forum has been established.  IE St Mirren.

Only a cretin would be referencing an entirely different Senior club.

The other explanation is that the misogynists mentioned are known supporters of Senior teams of an entirely different hue from b+w.

I'll let the readers decide which is the obvious explanation.

I didn't even know if St Mirren has a women's team or not. When REA got involved with the club there was supposed to have been work done to get Glasgow City on board. You'd have thought even though that didn't progress that an alternative may have been put in place. I was simply making the very clear point that this is the fastest growing sector in Scottish Football right now and you'd need to be really backward thinking not to be in that sector already.

However I will again ask the very pertinent question yet again - what kind of community club excludes half its local population from participating in their sport?

10 minutes ago, Stuart Dickson said:

I didn't even know if St Mirren has a women's team or not. When REA got involved with the club there was supposed to have been work done to get Glasgow City on board. You'd have thought even though that didn't progress that an alternative may have been put in place. I was simply making the very clear point that this is the fastest growing sector in Scottish Football right now and you'd need to be really backward thinking not to be in that sector already.

However I will again ask the very pertinent question yet again - what kind of community club excludes half its local population from participating in their sport?

OK I know this is a waste of time, but I'll try...

I've been a member of a club for years, that had had no women in  it.

When women got interested in joining there was some slowness to accept them... mainly from the traditional old guys...  but eventually their numbers grew in the club and changes were slowly undertaken to accommodate them.  It meant diverting funds from the men's part of the club, but folk like me thought it was the right thing to do, so I/we did what we could to assist the transition - and these women were enthusiasts, contributors, worthy members.

They are now regarded as a normal part of the club.

Then came along the people who wanted to accommodate kids.  I have no interest in other people's kids, so I certainly did not divert my energies into facilitating their introduction to the club.  Those who did have an interest, did all they could to establish it as the most successful youth team in the area.   But there were years of grumbling cos so many parents saw it as a way to offload their brats with other mugs for a while.

Now, this IS a community organisation.  The community did what it felt right to accommodate itself.  It was costly.  The original club has changed so much (in many ways with which I disagreed) that I gave up on it.

I no longer have any interest in a Community Club.

If St Mirren were not to be a thriving member of the SPFL, through diverting its energies and limited wealth and facilities into (for example) propagating women's fitba, to becoming a Community Club, then I would be less than happy about the management of the club. It would be a waste of resources at a time when stability and focus should be paramount.    I would also walk away from that.

I don't care about walking football, I don't care about Women's football, I only care about St Mirren.  That is a notion in which I will invest. 

If people want to participate in a sport, then by all means find a way to do so.  I think what grates most is the assumption that every person wanting to play any sport should have everyone else subsidising it.

No one ever bought me walking boots, karabiners, slings or axes.

1 hour ago, antrin said:

OK I know this is a waste of time, but I'll try...

I've been a member of a club for years, that had had no women in  it.

When women got interested in joining there was some slowness to accept them... mainly from the traditional old guys...  but eventually their numbers grew in the club and changes were slowly undertaken to accommodate them.  It meant diverting funds from the men's part of the club, but folk like me thought it was the right thing to do, so I/we did what we could to assist the transition - and these women were enthusiasts, contributors, worthy members.

They are now regarded as a normal part of the club.

Then came along the people who wanted to accommodate kids.  I have no interest in other people's kids, so I certainly did not divert my energies into facilitating their introduction to the club.  Those who did have an interest, did all they could to establish it as the most successful youth team in the area.   But there were years of grumbling cos so many parents saw it as a way to offload their brats with other mugs for a while.

Now, this IS a community organisation.  The community did what it felt right to accommodate itself.  It was costly.  The original club has changed so much (in many ways with which I disagreed) that I gave up on it.

I no longer have any interest in a Community Club.

If St Mirren were not to be a thriving member of the SPFL, through diverting its energies and limited wealth and facilities into (for example) propagating women's fitba, to becoming a Community Club, then I would be less than happy about the management of the club. It would be a waste of resources at a time when stability and focus should be paramount.    I would also walk away from that.

I don't care about walking football, I don't care about Women's football, I only care about St Mirren.  That is a notion in which I will invest. 

If people want to participate in a sport, then by all means find a way to do so.  I think what grates most is the assumption that every person wanting to play any sport should have everyone else subsidising it.

No one ever bought me walking boots, karabiners, slings or axes.

Why the hell would the club need to subsidise it? That's the most ridiculous thing I've heard in a long time. Your post is a classic example of the misogyny that pervades the game in Scotland. Women are too stupid, and too poor to be able to survive without the help of men and any attempt to encourage women to play football can only be at the cost of the mens game therefore it shouldn't be encouraged.  

Loads of football clubs all around the country have introduced womens football to their clubs and rather than it being a cost, it's been a massive financial shot in the arm. Do you see the Hamilton Accies ladies team holding back the success of the Hamilton Accies first team squad? Or at Celtic are their ladies team a massive drain on resources, damaging Brendan Rodgers opportunities to buy in players? How the f**k do Glasgow City survive without a senior mens football team to help it pay for all those trips to Europe as Scottish Champions? Arsenal must be f**ked since their ladies team pay out some of the biggest wages in the world to womens footballers. And I'm shocked that David Moyes hasn't been on TV claiming the reason Sunderland at bottom of the Premiership just now is because of the massive drain in resources their successful womens team are on the first team squad. 

Honestly sometimes I really do despair at the standard of intellect on this forum. :rolleyes:

No.

It's your post that characterises women in that manner.  My post gave an example where women were happily and effectively absorbed into a functioning Community Club.

My assertion is that if women want to form football clubs and be successful, then they can certainly do so.  However, though Junior (male) football Clubs are encouraged by Senior Professional Clubs, I see no sign of them being "introduced to their clubs", as you wish for women.  Women's football clubs should be treated in the same manner as Juniors.

Glasgow City are a fine example of how it works.  They are continually and successfully seeking sponsors. 

Why does St Mirren need to have a women's team?  It has enough on its plate. 

Apart from one of your typically fatuous assertions - " rather than it being a cost, it's been a massive financial shot in the arm" -  you have no clue .about costs.  Saints have enough outgoings currently.

About 20 years ago I played regular fitba V one of the new (now top) women's teams and was impressed by their skills. 

In due course, I expect that women will compete in professional football alongside men. Just as has happened in XC and long distance road running. 

You are the misogynist who thinks they need 'special treatment' and that they are unable to thrive on their own.   Women can do it for themselves, to coin a phrase...

5 minutes ago, antrin said:

No.

It's your post that characterises women in that manner.  My post gave an example where women were happily and effectively absorbed into a functioning Community Club.

My assertion is that if women want to form football clubs and be successful, then they can certainly do so.  However, though Junior (male) football Clubs are encouraged by Senior Professional Clubs, I see no sign of them being "introduced to their clubs", as you wish for women.  Women's football clubs should be treated in the same manner as Juniors.

Glasgow City are a fine example of how it works.  They are continually and successfully seeking sponsors. 

Why does St Mirren need to have a women's team?  It has enough on its plate. 

Apart from one of your typically fatuous assertions - " rather than it being a cost, it's been a massive financial shot in the arm" -  you have no clue .about costs.  Saints have enough outgoings currently.

About 20 years ago I played regular fitba V one of the new (now top) women's teams and was impressed by their skills. 

In due course, I expect that women will compete in professional football alongside men. Just as has happened in XC and long distance road running. 

You are the misogynist who thinks they need 'special treatment' and that they are unable to thrive on their own.   Women can do it for themselves, to coin a phrase...

There you go again? If women want to play football they should set up their own clubs. That's what you are saying isn't it? Is that not a form of segregation? 

I've got to say I find your attempts here laughable. I know you've trolled around after me recently trying to get a bite, but seriously on this one subject you really are making an arse of yourself. 

2 hours ago, Stuart Dickson said:

There you go again? If women want to play football they should set up their own clubs. That's what you are saying isn't it? Is that not a form of segregation?

An absurd response, as ever.

No.

When you (or other Lanarky folk) set up Wishaw was it because you loved the beautiful game or  because you'd found yourself being segregated against, cos you is in-bred tossers in that part of the world?

I've got to say I find your attempts here laughable.

Good - I find yours tedious.

I know you've trolled around after me recently trying to get a bite, but seriously on this one subject you really are making an arse of yourself. 

No, I've tried treating you seriously.  Me bad:(   You're already an arse who is not worthy of even a modicum of my respect.

Guest TPAFKATS

We don't have a visually impaired St. Mirren team, a walking football St. Mirren team, a team accessible to unfit guys in their 40s who think they are Paisley's answer to Victor / Baresi, a homeless St Mirren team etc etc etc

In reality were actually excluding about 99% of our community if we take your your analysis of the situation to your illogical conclusion.

We don't have a visually impaired St. Mirren team, a walking football St. Mirren team, a team accessible to unfit guys in their 40s who think they are Paisley's answer to Victor / Baresi, a homeless St Mirren team etc etc etc

In reality were actually excluding about 99% of our community if we take your your analysis of the situation to your illogical conclusion.

And that's fine so long as you don't call yourself a community club and you don't try and steal grants meant for those clubs that are more inclusive

I didn't set up Wishaw. My son wanted to play football so we joined an already established club with a growing reputation. That's what most people do and for each year of our existence we returned a profit and were in no way subsidised by any other part of the club. Not once did we ask the committee to fund the purchase of boots for anyone. :rolleyes:

Guest TPAFKATS

And that's fine so long as you don't call yourself a community club and you don't try and steal grants meant for those clubs that are more inclusive

You didn't notice the word 'illogical' in my post did you?

On 25 October 2016 at 6:36 PM, Stuart Dickson said:

I didn't set up Wishaw. My son wanted to play football so we joined an already established club with a growing reputation. That's what most people do and for each year of our existence we returned a profit and were in no way subsidised by any other part of the club. Not once did we ask the committee to fund the purchase of boots for anyone. :rolleyes:

Good.  At last.

So we can take it you now agree that, like everyone else in Scotland,  potential female fitba players do not need special care from professional Senior clubs in order to participate in the sport.