Five Great Singles From The Eighties

Bill Lees

Guest Becksy
never understand by the Jesus and mary chain.

One of my faves of all time. It drove the (then) old-timers mentol when it was on the video jukebox in the Cellar.

Looking for Lewis and Clark by the Long Ryders

This is not a Love Song :PIL

Sightsee MC :BAD

Listen : Slide

This is the One : Stone Roses

• 4 weeks later...
Guest bairnagain

Funny how when 80's music gets discussed now by people who remember it, we all remember Joy Division, The Fall, Kirk Brandon and the rest and we all forget our all time favourites Haircut 100, Doctor and the Medics, Heaven 17 and Huey Lewis and the News.

I think the time has come to be honest and we should all get get out our "Frankie Says" tee shirts and where them again, though I bet some of us will need new ones as the old ones wont fit.

Funny how when 80's music gets discussed now by people who remember it, we all remember Joy Division, The Fall, Kirk Brandon and the rest and we all forget our all time favourites Haircut 100, Doctor and the Medics, Heaven 17 and Huey Lewis and the News.

I think the time has come to be honest and we should all get get out our "Frankie Says" tee shirts and where them again, though I bet some of us will need new ones as the old ones wont fit.

I've heard Frankie T-shirts are still selling well on f'kirk high street. Huey Lewis and the news - ya fanny. :blink:

• 2 weeks later...

What about the

Jam - Town Called Mallice

Deacon Blue - Dignity

Dire Straits - Walk Of Life

Queen - Kind Of Magic

Wis that no the 80's, Not that you are all worried at all, because your all David :ph34r: Sneddon fans really arent you...............................

Best song ever, believe it or not has got to be A Chris De Burgh number :- Spanish Train..... very well written tune

Does anyone know then name of the tune that we have played at love street for years .... You can either whistle it or hum it.... But the Dirty OF have nicked it & so have loads of english clubs

Edited by whosyirdaddy

Guest Captain Sensible

Too Much Too Young - The Specials

Going Underground - The Jam

My Girl - Madness

Bigmouth Strikes Again - The Smiths

Enjoy The Silence - Depeche Mode

I think maybe though that the first 3 may have been 1979??

Elton Motello- Jet Boy , Jet Girl ( Spent years trying to track it down, finally purchased for 5p in the wee market near Tannadice)

The Damned- Smash it Up

Magazine- Shot by Both Sides

The Tubes- TV is King

Graham Parker and the Rumour- Stupefaction

Some '79 but who cares?

My favourite would be a single by a Glasgow band called H2O. The song was Dream To Sleep. I remember my football training at Craigton Primary while they were rehearsing in a classroom in the building for a Kajagoogoo concert. Brilliant song, by my single cracked and I can't get a download anywhere.

Anyway......

1. Dream To Sleep - H20

2. Baggy Trousers - Madness

3. Ant Rap - Adam and The Ants

4. Blue Monday - New Order

5. Chance - Big Country

Probably cheaper Tom.

H2O should have been one hell of a band though. The stuff they were playing at Craigton that night sounded like a cross between U2 and Big Country but for one reason or another they went down the road of ballads instead. Dream to Sleep was excellent but the follow up single had a better B-side than it did the A-side. The B-side was called Leonard, a song based on some short story we studied at school called The Pedestrian. Got me through my O'Grade so it did.

I think after that Iain Donaldson went solo and re-released Dream to Sleep but his solo version was piss poor in comparision.

H2O should have been one hell of a band though. The stuff they were playing at Craigton that night sounded like a cross between U2 and Big Country but for one reason or another they went down the road of ballads instead. Dream to Sleep was excellent but the follow up single had a better B-side than it did the A-side. The B-side was called Leonard, a song based on some short story we studied at school called The Pedestrian. Got me through my O'Grade so it did.

I think after that Iain Donaldson went solo and re-released Dream to Sleep but his solo version was piss poor in comparision.

i bullshit you not stuart. :ph34r: i'm sure my mate works for one of the members of the band i think the drummer. i'm going to the scotland game tomorrow with him and will try and get you an autograph.:wub:

i bullshit you not stuart. :ph34r: i'm sure my mate works for one of the members of the band i think the drummer. i'm going to the scotland game tomorrow with him and will try and get you an autograph.:wub:

Why is the ex-H2O drummer a gingy? I have heard that is Stuart's thing. :ph34r:

That'd be cool Strummer...

St.Sid are you a gingy ? Is this all wishful thinking on your part ? What is your problem with gingy's anyway ?

No issue at all Stuart, I am merely killing two burds with one stone. Stu the gingy fud and Stu the gingy hating homophobe.

You white supremacists are all the same, hate this, hate that, SG this, JC that - whilst secretly lurking in your closet flagellating your gerry helmets whilst yer mawz warms their strap-ons over the hot coals. :rolleyes:

That'd be cool Strummer...

St.Sid are you a gingy ? Is this all wishful thinking on your part ? What is your problem with gingy's anyway ?

the son of a bitch didn't turn up.turns out he was the lead guitar player steve something.he also played with end games,remember them.he also done a solo bit in the lord lounsdale before it was done up.he runs the johnstone discout carpets .if you want a autograph thats the place to go.

Sid, no idea what you mean.

Hate Germans, so I ain't going to be wearing Gerry helmets never mind flagellating them in any closet. As for being a gingy sympathiser.....so long as the burd is slim, tidy and doesn't smell, I really do fail to see why I should be fussy about the colour of her pubes.

I don't class myself as a homophobe either, after all here I am communicating with you :double:double:double

Strummer, I don't think I'll go to that much bother...but thanks all the same for trying. It's appreciated. I'm more interested though in either buying a good copy of the single "Dream to Sleep" or finding an MP3 that I can download. I've tried the record company and stuff but I've had no luck at all.

Guest Bobby S

1. The Rattler - Goodbye Mr McKenzie

2. Fade to Grey - Visage

3. Wise man say - Lick The Tins

4. Heaven is a place on earth - Belinda Carlisle

5. Whatever Simple Minds single that had Hunter and the Hunted Live on the B side.

he also played with end games,remember them.

End Games.......remember one of their songs but can't think of the title:

"All I'm waiting for now baby is another chance, surely I can take? Look into your eyes and I realise that I must be crazy" :huh:

crazy like a white supremacist finding the welcome mat removed from the gingy's door. :wacko:

Hate Germans, so I ain't going to be wearing Gerry helmets never mind flagellating them in any closet. As for being a gingy sympathiser.....so long as the burd is slim, tidy and doesn't smell, I really do fail to see why I should be fussy about the colour of her pubes.

Justifying your sexuality when challenged is the first sign of a raging homophobe. :P

Good to see you keeping up the token "hate" in every post though with Germans getting it this time. :rolleyes:

Hope the mods have picked up on this blatant pompeyesque racism and homophobia. :D

Yup I remember Endgames, but I'd really like to know whatever happened to Valerie and the Week of Wonders - any ideas out there??

Can't quite put a tune to them, but I'm think I taped them off the Annie Nightingale Show once. :huh:

Totally unrelated to the thread but Bob Dylan doing "I Want You" was on Radio Scotland today. Hadn't heard it for years and it hit the spot for the Indian Summer sort of day we had today while I was driving along. :D