Working, Furloughed or Inactive

St.Ricky

2 minutes ago, Yflab said:

I did say she has the choice to retire from work by being financially independent. She probably won’t as she enjoys what she does.
At some stage we look forward to travelling the world taking advantage of geographical arbitrage as we both started work at a young age and never had the gap years that many students have had. 

In the next 4 or 5 years max. we'll be downing tools in terms of working full time in our businesses and we'll go travelling around in a motorhome or something like that during warmer months. Just hope our health holds up.

Always thought I'd work until the day I dropped but I fancy a slower pace now.

As for gap years, you've really got to be doing that when you are young and have the time and energy to do it properly. I remember these things used to be criticised (probably still are) but honestly, for those who need a bit of time to think about what they want to do with their lives it can be a godsend.

30 minutes ago, ALBIONSAINT said:

Throw in a trip to the pub and you might just persuade me. 

216A79F9-2FCD-4ABE-AFC5-18B4325538FE.jpeg

Only if it's one of those old, quiet English country village pubs selling proper real ale and lamb pies. I miss those now that I'm back up here.

Edited by oaksoft

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

In the next 4 or 5 years max. we'll be downing tools in terms of working full time in our businesses and we'll go travelling around in a motorhome or something like that during warmer months. Just hope our health holds up.

Always thought I'd work until the day I dropped but I fancy a slower pace now.

As for gap years, you've really got to be doing that when you are young and have the time and energy to do it properly. I remember these things used to be criticised (probably still are) but honestly, for those who need a bit of time to think about what they want to do with their lives it can be a godsend.

When I was in my 40's my thought was to retire at 55. When I was 50 I started travelling internationally to work on 5 to 10 day projects (I set the parameters), I discovered that I enjoyed it. I then kept working till I was over 70. My only advice would be to do work you enjoy, rent your time but never sell out. Theoretically retired but still do stuff as I choose and currently involved in setting up a Charity and Community Interest Company with plans to grow out of Covid. Keeps life interesting. Retirement need not be doing nothing. 

8 hours ago, Yflab said:

Probably cost you thousands and thousands of pounds. Depending on the value of your investments it could be hundreds of thousands over your lifetime, 

I can’t believe that in this day and age that people spend more time researching the latest phone or holiday destination than they do for their pensions. Madness. 

One Step Beyond......

It's just Madness.😐