Ukraine v Russia Has Kicked Off

shull

On 9/21/2023 at 12:02 PM, faraway saint said:

More details rather than the headline...................

One of Ukraine's staunchest allies, Poland, has said it is no longer supplying weapons to its neighbour, as a diplomatic dispute over grain escalates.

Prime Minister Mateusz Morawiecki said Poland's focus was instead on defending itself with more modern weapons.

Poland has already sent Ukraine 320 Soviet-era tanks and 14 MiG-29 fighter jets and has little more to offer.

However, the remarks coincide with high tensions between the two neighbours.

On Tuesday, Poland summoned Ukraine's ambassador over comments made by President Volodymyr Zelensky at the United Nations after Poland, Hungary and Slovakia extended a ban on Ukrainian grain.

Mr Zelensky said it was alarming how some of Ukraine's friends in Europe were playing out solidarity "in a political theatre - making a thriller from grain". Warsaw denounced his words as "unjustified concerning Poland, which has supported Ukraine since the first days of the war".

Mr Morawiecki was interviewed on Wednesday night by the private Polsat news TV channel hours after the Ukrainian ambassador had been summoned to the foreign ministry in Warsaw in response to the Ukrainian leader's speech.

"We are no longer transferring weapons to Ukraine, because we are now arming Poland with more modern weapons," the prime minister said.

He was adamant Poland was helping Ukraine defeat the "Russian barbarian" by maintaining a military hub, but would not agree to Poland's markets being destabilised by grain imports, Polish state news agency Pap reported.

"Our hub in Rzeszow, in agreement with the Americans and Nato, is fulfilling the same role the whole time as it has fulfilled and will fulfil."

Poland's military hardware has been depleted by about a third through transfers to Ukraine and is in the process of replacing it with modern Western-produced kit.

Arms exports to Ukraine will not stop completely as Polish manufacturer PGZ is due to send about 60 Krab artillery weapons in the coming months. Government spokesman Piotr Muller later clarified that only previously agreed deliveries of ammunition and armaments would be delivered, including those from contracts signed with Ukraine.

They have never been close allies. 

DC04D556-53D8-4703-ADB6-82B2362BF10B.jpeg

1 hour ago, Slarti said:
2 hours ago, ALBIONSAINT said:
SS memorial in Scotland emoji1022.png󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 

Wars are seldom good v bad. We were on the same side as Stalin, the Finns and Croats were on the same side as Hitler.

Don’t think I said they were? Just worth thinking about when waving a little yellow and blue flag. 

Don’t think I said they were? Just worth thinking about when waving a little yellow and blue flag. 
Personally, I think the two are unrelated and the actions of people 80 years ago should not affect how their decendents are treated today.

1 hour ago, Slarti said:
8 hours ago, ALBIONSAINT said:

Personally, I think the two are unrelated and the actions of people 80 years ago should not affect how their decendents are treated today.

Just to be clear, you don’t think that if you committed war crimes against the Jewish and Russian people 80 years ago it should matter and the Scottish government should not be questioned about giving £52k towards a chapel and monument for a waffen ss unit? 

1 hour ago, Slarti said:
8 hours ago, ALBIONSAINT said:

A bit off topic, but by that logic the transatlantic slave trade reparations should not really be considered either? 

Just to be clear, you don’t think that if you committed war crimes against the Jewish and Russian people 80 years ago it should matter and the Scottish government should not be questioned about giving £52k towards a chapel and monument for a waffen ss unit? 
I never said anything remotely like that.

• 1 month later...