Thierry Small

7 hours ago, beyond our ken said:

I don't understand why we took him back and used him so sparingly.  He was never a long-term signing for us which means he was there to be used rather than nurtured.

I wish him well, a really good prospect who deserves a good run playing at a good standard.

Good luck to him

But not for me he isn't, time will tell who's right 

1 hour ago, John Meiksy said:

I met the guy who has him on his books earlier  this year and he said not very complementary things about him, not his ability but more where his head is, so possibly that’s why he didn’t get much game time and why he’s gone.

How much earlier this year?

7 hours ago, beyond our ken said:

Loads of good prospects fail to make it due to a multitude of reasons.  If he doesn't make the grade then it won't have stopped him being a good prospect at this stage

Either way that makes you right whatever he achieves very clever  

He's a great athlete a big strong lad,  but I don't see him as a good footballer

What grade are you predicting for him ?? as he came to us on loan from a English Premier League team Southampton, I don't see him playing anywhere near that level 

Everton were looking for 5 million for him at a tribunal, if he's worth anywhere near that then Ryan Strain must be worth 15 million  

Good luck to the lad hopefully I'm wrong, you'll be right whatever happens :lol:

6 hours ago, portmahomack saint said:

Either way that makes you right whatever he achieves very clever  

He's a great athlete a big strong lad,  but I don't see him as a good footballer

What grade are you predicting for him ?? as he came to us on loan from a English Premier League team Southampton, I don't see him playing anywhere near that level 

Everton were looking for 5 million for him at a tribunal, if he's worth anywhere near that then Ryan Strain must be worth 15 million  

Good luck to the lad hopefully I'm wrong, you'll be right whatever happens :lol:

FFS all I said was he was a really good prospect and look how many of those who arrived with  bang and couldn't kick on?  That description covers a chunk of our current squad.

The attributes you mention are the key building blocks of the modern footballer and you can see from our squad where the good footballers who lack that box-to-box capability have struggled in terms of stamina and stress-injury.  

I wasn't hedging bets, the sky is the limit for any good young footballer who has the athleticism as long as he keeps learning.   It may well be Southampton who feel he didn't get what he needed in Paisley and they have another plan, who knows?  My feeling is that he needs to tidy up on positioning, timing of runs & passes and honing those short crosses that nearly came off for him in his last home game.  If he can do that then he could be a league 1 or even English Championship  (where he came from this season😄) player in the next 5 years or so.

30 minutes ago, beyond our ken said:

FFS all I said was he was a really good prospect and look how many of those who arrived with  bang and couldn't kick on?  That description covers a chunk of our current squad.

The attributes you mention are the key building blocks of the modern footballer and you can see from our squad where the good footballers who lack that box-to-box capability have struggled in terms of stamina and stress-injury.  

I wasn't hedging bets, the sky is the limit for any good young footballer who has the athleticism as long as he keeps learning.   It may well be Southampton who feel he didn't get what he needed in Paisley and they have another plan, who knows?  My feeling is that he needs to tidy up on positioning, timing of runs & passes and honing those short crosses that nearly came off for him in his last home game.  If he can do that then he could be a league 1 or even English Championship  (where he came from this season😄) player in the next 5 years or so.

Oh really,  

A player rated in the millions from a premier league team has fulfilled his potential when he reaches the dizzy heights of league 1 

When you play roulette do choose red or black or is it both just in case  :) 

What young players have arrived with a big price tag on their head and flopped ?? The only one I can think of and he's hasn't is Anders Dreyer who's with Anderlecht 

And don't say Josh Heaton :lol:

On 1/5/2024 at 1:00 PM, portmahomack saint said:

Oh really,  

A player rated in the millions from a premier league team has fulfilled his potential when he reaches the dizzy heights of league 1 

When you play roulette do choose red or black or is it both just in case  :) 

What young players have arrived with a big price tag on their head and flopped ?? The only one I can think of and he's hasn't is Anders Dreyer who's with Anderlecht 

And don't say Josh Heaton :lol:

So now you are accepting those valuations rather than dismissing him as not being a “good footballer “

that looks like we actually agree then

10 minutes ago, beyond our ken said:

So now you are accepting those valuations rather than dismissing him as not being a “good footballer “

that looks like we actually agree then

Actually were miles apart... You think he is a good prospect " I don't "  Southampton seemingly had to pay Everton 4.3 million for him I think they've had their fingers burnt and they can kiss that cash bye bye, 

On 1/31/2023 at 7:01 PM, HSS said:

Had a read through the thread and nearly pissed myself when I read this, I think they're trying to get some of there cash back 

He was even linked to Rangers on that first loan remember don't believe everything you read in the papers 

Any opportunity Small was given this season was out of position. 

Going by his game time last season, both St Mirren and Thierry no doubt thought he would get similar, though Tansers form this season has been his best to date and he has rightly kept him out of th team.

If Southampton are trying to sell a left wing back and hes played on the opposite side, and/or very little game time at all, then it makes sense to recall him and find a move that benefits him to play on a weekly basis in his preferred position.

Edited by kevo_smfc