Gordon McQueen.

Can you imagine a late life ruined by sport you loved?

As a centre half, signed I think by Saints from Beith Juniors, he will have headed heavy, wet leather footballs throughout all his formative years and these would have been important in initiating the medical condition.

There are now too many with the condition for it not to be recognised as (technically) an indutrial injury.  

It makes you wonder if today's central defenders are as worried!

Edited by The Original 59er

2 hours ago, The Original 59er said:

Can you imagine a late life ruined by sport you loved?

As a centre half, signed I think by Saints from Beith Juniors, he will have headed heavy, wet leather footballs throughout all his formative years and these would have been important in initiating the medical condition.

There are now too many with the condition for it not to be recognised as (technically) an indutrial injury.  

It makes you wonder if today's central defenders are as worried!

It’s not confined to just central defenders. All players are at risk of head injuries while heading the ball or receiving blows to the head from collisions.

“A leading study on football from Glasgow University, published in 2019, discovered that former football players are three-and-a-half times more likely to die of neurogenerative disease than age-matched members of the public; and were more likely to be prescribed dementia-related medication.

The lead author of the study, Dr Willie Stewart, who is consultant neuropathologist at the Queen Elizabeth University Hospital in Glasgow, says there is clear evidence of brain injury and chronic traumatic encephalopathy among both football and rugby players.”

Campbell Money received a numbers of concussions during his time with St Mirren. There was no head injury protocol back then. 

I don’t think enough consideration has taken place down the years over repeated brain trauma in football. It’s an invisible injury.

I appreciate that the footballs are lighter but this is still going to continue to be a concern. 

There was a group action against the authorities. I’m not sure how it is progressing:

https://www.reuters.com/lifestyle/sports/nobby-stiles-family-among-group-taking-legal-action-over-brain-injury-claims-2022-11-11/