So farewell then .................Gordon Williams

eastlandssaint

Great writer, good guy, good Buddie.  (Didnae know he was that auld.... He never acted it...).

I first encountered him in The Hoop at Notting Hill Gate.  A Saturday evening, just after we'd got back from watching Arsenal or Chelsea.  Another Buddie came in with his paper and we were checking for the results.

Gordon Maclean Williams interrupted us.

"excuse me, can you tell me the result with a Scottish team - St Mirren?"

he was obviously a good guy. :)  

after a few pints he made excuses, had to go home.  He returned soon after with his wife who wasn't so wildly enthusiastic, IIRC.

met him a couple of later times, when he was affable and supportive of what I was doing.  Shame he never made it to the f3k. :(

his They Used  to Play on Grass  has mention of St Mirren and has the visiting team in aBus going up Causeyside.

despite what the Guardian article says, his magnificent From Scenes Like These is set not in Ayrshire but in the farms and fields surrounding Feegie, where the airport, motorway, Rootes and Pressed Steel (Phoenix park) arose.

GMW did very well for himself, despite being 'educated' at the JNI.... :)