Why So Much Negativity ?

That was my biggest criticism last season... we were simply nowhere near ready for the new season and effectively gave several teams a head start. Nothing to do with the results... more about the squad assembly.

Much better so far this season and I am a lot more optimistic as a result... even if I am still desperate to see us sign Scrapper Griswald from Melchester Rovers to play in defence!

That Scrapper from Melchester Rovers, she's a cracker.tongue.png

Edited by pod

I happen to live in Paisley and be a massive football fan, as such SMFC receive ticket money from me each year, so I guess it depends on where you draw the line between supporter/fan/any other category of attendee.

A lot of St. Mirren "fans" at the league cup final I noticed...don't see more than 2/3 of them on any given Saturday when I go, the definition of fan is up for debate it would appear.

I would like to see them do well for a few reasons however, firstly because I would prefer to watch a decent side of course, and a lot of my family are SMFC fans, so personally I definitely like to see them turn up and play some decent stuff.

As a football club they probably are under-rated a lot of the time even by their own "fans". Being the only club from the biggest town in the UK gives them a certain stature, they are a proper club who are properly run with proper facilities and a proper outlook, which could have gone wrong if the deal for Love St. played out differently of course but as things stand they deserve kudos for manoeuvring themselves into a healthy position, they have a good base to work from is my point.

Yes they are a small club, with a small budget, and limited resources, however they play in a very small league, with a lot of other small clubs, with small resources and small budgets, and this season in particular they are surrounded by these sides with not a lot of exceptions, hence my rationale that the "we are just a tiny club in the big SPFL Premiership" position simply holds no currency.

As a club they are in a healthier position than a lot of others, and I don't see why this shouldn't translate to success, in particular this season.

As for matters on the pitch...I actually happen to think that the SMFC squad this year has more than enough about them to be up there challenging, they have some very decent youngsters with a solid season behind them as well as a few notable veterans, in relation to the majority of the league I make no apology for suggesting that they really ought to have a successful campaign...

I'm off now to go sit down and shut up for a bit since I've taken up some serious word count here fairly recently... smile.png

thumbup2.gif

If you look back to TC's initial BBC interview he said he reckoned we needed about 8 signings - if you include the resignings of Kello & McLean that's 8 already and I reckon we'll add 1 or 2 more when the window draws to a conclusion and larger clubs are looking to trim their budgets or loan out fringe players.

TC & his assistants cool.png clearly have made decisions about who to bring in unlike this time last year when I felt DL & his assistant cool.png were floundering. At least one of these decisions has been controversial (Paul McGowan) I am in the camp that think it was the correct decision - all we can do now is sit back and hope these decisions have been the correct ones.

I reserve the right to support the present St. Mirren manager in the manner I have supported previous ones..............