The Long Shadow

W6er

I'm just watching this drama now (available on the STV player) and finding it absolutely enthralling. It's very, very well done and I highly recommend it.

There's just one thing that really annoys me and it will seem very petty to some. However, Toby Jones plays the senior detective and he's a borderline midget. Didn't the police have minimum height requirements up until relatively recently? I thought you had to be six foot to be a copper. As I say, it may seem like a trivial thing, but the thought is reoccurring every time he appears and it really detracts from my enjoyment of the show. Surely they could have cast someone more appropriate? Or perhaps I'm wrong.

Anyway, that aside, I cannot recommend it enough. :) 

13 minutes ago, W6er said:

I'm just watching this drama now (available on the STV player) and finding it absolutely enthralling. It's very, very well done and I highly recommend it.

There's just one thing that really annoys me and it will seem very petty to some. However, Toby Jones plays the senior detective and he's a borderline midget. Didn't the police have minimum height requirements up until relatively recently? I thought you had to be six foot to be a copper. As I say, it may seem like a trivial thing, but the thought is reoccurring every time he appears and it really detracts from my enjoyment of the show. Surely they could have cast someone more appropriate? Or perhaps I'm wrong.

Apparently people shrink a lot as they grow older.

relax now and enjoy.

Edited by antrin

2 minutes ago, StanleySaint said:

On our list to watch, so thanks for the recommendation however your point re Toby Jones does sound a bit like some of the letters at the back of the TV listings mags ☺️

I'm terrible for it. I watched a film some months ago, that was set in the 1940s or '50s. Someone used the term 'train station' instead of 'railway station' and it is anachronistic, also I saw one when 'bathroom' was used instead of toilet or lavatory; same point. These are American terms that have crept into British English and I find them far more annoying than is healthy, but I just cannot help myself.

1 minute ago, antrin said:

Apparently people shrink as they grow older.

relax now and enjoy.

I looked up his height and he's 5 foot 4 inches tall! Come on! 😆

2 hours ago, W6er said:

If you take your TV off the widescreen settings, Toby Jones becomes 6ft 1.    Job done .

Happy to be of assistance 👍