Top Five Cd/lp Mistakes

Bill Lees

Ever bought an album and realised more or less immediately that it was a horrible mistake ? Course you have - we've all done it. Top fives, please, with reasons. I'm afraid I can only remember about three - my self-preservation gene must be kicking in.

1. Mark Knopfler's "The Rag-Picker's Dream". Bought on the strength of quite liking a ditty called "Quality Shoe" heard on Radio 2 one night. More like the Rag-Picker's Nightmare. Dire. Not Straits.

2. Yazoo "Upstairs at Eric's". So boring I gave it away. Have since revised my opinion and think it excellent.

3. Andy Stewart : "18 Scots Traditional Songs" Bought it because I wanted to have "A Scottish Soldier" played at my funeral. But the rest of it is utter shi te. Except, of course, for "Donald, Where's Your Troosers ?" - one of the finest songs ever written.

Edited by Bill Lees

Like Bill I can't manage 5 but 2 that stand out are:

Jesse Collins Young: American Dream - Bought on the strength that I liked his first band The Youngbloods (mid-60's Americana: folk going to psychedelic similar to The Byrds & The Lovin' Spoonful) this album was released about 1980 and was the most insipid, wimpy AOR imaginable. Dull! Dull! Dull!

M-People - Can't remember the title, I got this one matchday on my little bro's recommendation. Listened to it once, found it very bland, and gave it to brother. Possibly some ulterior motive on his part. :blink::D

Ah, c'mon Howard. You must've bought some CD/lp and been dissapointed with it.

171322[/snapback]

Actually yes. Someone gave me Give 'Em Enough Rope. I made a flower pot with it. Damn! If only they'd given me Sandinista I could have started a veritable wee garden..... :ph34r:

Actually yes. Someone gave me Give 'Em Enough Rope. I made a flower pot with it. Damn! If only they'd given me Sandinista I could have started a veritable wee garden..... :ph34r:

172097[/snapback]

Even if it's not a vegtable garden, you'll be getting your peas rattled for dissing the Clash.................... :boxing:boxing:boxing

• 3 weeks later...

Just remembered Dread Zeppelin - a group which (mainly) played reggaefied versions of Led Zeppelin songs. They were fronted by a 300lb ex Elvis Presley impersonater.

It was one of those albums I was just gonna have to buy! Fortunately the owner of the record shop I frequent agreed to play the CD. Suffice to say I did not make the purchase.

I did however take a chance on the Hayseed Dixies and didn't regret it.

Edited by Bud the Baker

Just remembered Dread Zeppelin - a group which (mainly) played reggaefied versions of Led Zeppelin songs. They were fronted by a 300lb ex Elvis Presley impersonater.

It was one of those albums I was just gonna have to buy! Fortunately the owner of the record shop I frequent agreed to play the CD. Suffice to say I did not make the purchase.

I did however take a chance on the Hayseed Dixies and didn't regret it.

176454[/snapback]

I own that..........................

I think I've played it once..................................