Tv's Knackered. Any Ideas?

KennyS

Anyone know anything about TV sets or can recommend someone who does?

I have had my Philips 32'' for almost 6 years and yesterday it went on the blink.

Press the power button on the front and the wee red LED light comes on but nothing elese happens

try typing the problem into a google search. There will be someone out there who has had the same problem and posted on a forum.

Currys or Richer Sounds are always offering deals. You can also check for Voucher codes for Currys doing another google search.

Cockles may not be as wrong as he might jokingly think...

Hitting items like a tv on its side....

....can mibbe possibly make them work a wee bit for a little while.

This is cos sometimes the connecting solders have fractured due to heat/age/movement etc. and the hit on the side temporarily 'joins' the connection up again.

If you are bold and have a solder-iron (and solder) you could open the back up... UNPLUGGED/UNCONNECTED and check for fractured solders...

you can also lightly hoover and clean it, and ensure that any valves (this would be in the olden days) are firmly inserted(NSS could help with technique, here).

My TV is about 18 or 19 years old. So old it has run out of repeats to show.

Mind you, I haven't switched it on since March 2007.

I believe it still works.

I hope this helps? :)

But I'd be amazed, if it does.

Is Bruce's TV still on Well St? If so, that's the place to go.

I'd expect a TV to last 10-15 years. Replacing it after 6 is ludicrous. Although in todays world they are probably designed to break after a year or two to entice you to get a new, updated one as people don't seem to want to fix things much these days.

Is Bruce's TV still on Well St? If so, that's the place to go.

I'd expect a TV to last 10-15 years. Replacing it after 6 is ludicrous. Although in todays world they are probably designed to break after a year or two to entice you to get a new, updated one as people don't seem to want to fix things much these days.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Remember my dad saying if a TV's likely to break, it's within its normal warranty time - other than that they're one of the last things to go.

Got a new TV earlier this year, after the previous had lasted around 10 years. There was nothing major wrong with it, other than a busted coax connection which I'm sure could have been fixed easily - just wanted a bigger licd (sic) type with more SCART etc ports and was digital ready for when we sort that all out. The other 3 in the house are considerably older even than that (living room one I know is 14)...including one in the kitchen that I think is even older than me!! :o

That's exactly what I was thinking. Remember my dad saying if a TV's likely to break, it's within its normal warranty time - other than that they're one of the last things to go.

Got a new TV earlier this year, after the previous had lasted around 10 years. There was nothing major wrong with it, other than a busted coax connection which I'm sure could have been fixed easily - just wanted a bigger licd (sic) type with more SCART etc ports and was digital ready for when we sort that all out. The other 3 in the house are considerably older even than that (living room one I know is 14)...including one in the kitchen that I think is even older than me!! :o

At least it's working, ya lazy fecker. :P