87 Club - Is It Worth The Money

gbain

Swithering as to whether pay the £3k for the 87club membership. Looking to see peoples thoughts on this as to whether they believe it is value for money.

Things like photo sessions and signing sessions of new kit etc, great if you are a child, but not a paying adult.

Reserved car park space - could be more hassle than parking in the street

Quicker service at the bar - not a great added value

Chance to sit in directors box at home and away games - sounds nice but most fans would prefer to sit with their mates.

Use of the CIC room at half time - great if you sit in the main stand, not much use if you are over the other side of the stadium.

Swithering as to whether pay the £3k for the 87club membership. Looking to see peoples thoughts on this as to whether they believe it is value for money.

Things like photo sessions and signing sessions of new kit etc, great if you are a child, but not a paying adult.

Reserved car park space - could be more hassle than parking in the street

Quicker service at the bar - not a great added value

Chance to sit in directors box at home and away games - sounds nice but most fans would prefer to sit with their mates.

Use of the CIC room at half time - great if you sit in the main stand, not much use if you are over the other side of the stadium.

I think that's a fantastic question gbain. Are the gubbings really worth the money - or is there going to be something in the project that will help you get a return on your money?

The way I understood the CIC from the word go was that there was to be a Memorandum of Understanding that would see benefits returned for the corporate and community members. I would hope that as well as the listed benefits - which I don't think are particularly impressive - there would be an element of enabling your business to increase their level of orders or business.

I think that's a fantastic question gbain. Are the gubbings really worth the money - or is there going to be something in the project that will help you get a return on your money?

The way I understood the CIC from the word go was that there was to be a Memorandum of Understanding that would see benefits returned for the corporate and community members. I would hope that as well as the listed benefits - which I don't think are particularly impressive - there would be an element of enabling your business to increase their level of orders or business.

at the end of the day, I work Monday to Friday and when it comes to the weekend, I go to the football to support my team, not to go and hope I can pick up some networking contact, the £3000 that the fan puts in should be aimed at football benefits IMO. I work in a sales rolland have been to many business networking events over the years and tbh the majority of them are a complete waste of time.

at the end of the day, I work Monday to Friday and when it comes to the weekend, I go to the football to support my team, not to go and hope I can pick up some networking contact, the £3000 that the fan puts in should be aimed at football benefits IMO. I work in a sales rolland have been to many business networking events over the years and tbh the majority of them are a complete waste of time.

That's not what I meant.

Look at the risk of boring everyone else by talking in simplistic terms about a juvenile football club again - last year we went about overhauling all of the club strips. We agreed a deal with a kit supplier and we set about trying to raise the sponsorship money that would help us get there. I stole ideas from all over the web including pricing structures from junior football clubs and I put it on our club website. A pack was put together showing our web stats, the demographics from our Facebook page, the click through ratio for adverts for other sponsors on the website. At £500 what we found was that local businesses were seeing it as an alternative to their regular placed advert in the local newspaper and quite a few decided to give it a go on the basis that these shirts were going to be seen all over the town - we've got 270 registered players - and that photos of the kids in their sponsored kits would be all over the website.

Once they'd agreed sponsorship I then contacted them to see how they believed we could help get them more business. In the case of a fireplace retailer and a local indian restaurant we got .pdf files for their menu's and brochures and published it to the website and took every opportunity in the press, on the website and at club meetings to make sure those businesses were credited at every turn for the term of their two year sponsorship.

Now I appreciate that they might never make a single sale off the back of their sponsorship of our teams but one thing they won't be able to say at the end of the period is that we did nothing to give them value for money.

I would hope that where a business was putting £3k or £25k into 10000hours there would be a similar focus on delivering value for money in business terms rather than in perks from the football club. I can totally empathise with you about business networking events - they are always a load of shite - but that doesn't mean 10000hours can't help to push you in front of potential business clients on a daily basis.

Edited by Stuart Dickson

It's good value if the CIC lasts for over 25 years plus you can pass it on should you pop your clogs.

lets hope its more than 25 years then, what happens say after 3 years i decide to withdraw my £3k membership, do i get my money back, as on the £10 membership, you can stop the DD payment at any time.

That's not what I meant.

Look at the risk of boring everyone else by talking in simplistic terms about a juvenile football club again - last year we went about overhauling all of the club strips. We agreed a deal with a kit supplier and we set about trying to raise the sponsorship money that would help us get there. I stole ideas from all over the web including pricing structures from junior football clubs and I put it on our club website. A pack was put together showing our web stats, the demographics from our Facebook page, the click through ratio for adverts for other sponsors on the website. At £500 what we found was that local businesses were seeing it as an alternative to their regular placed advert in the local newspaper and quite a few decided to give it a go on the basis that these shirts were going to be seen all over the town - we've got 270 registered players - and that photos of the kids in their sponsored kits would be all over the website.

Once they'd agreed sponsorship I then contacted them to see how they believed we could help get them more business. In the case of a fireplace retailer and a local indian restaurant we got .pdf files for their menu's and brochures and published it to the website and took every opportunity in the press, on the website and at club meetings to make sure those businesses were credited at every turn for the term of their two year sponsorship.

Now I appreciate that they might never make a single sale off the back of their sponsorship of our teams but one thing they won't be able to say at the end of the period is that we did nothing to give them value for money.

I would hope that where a business was putting £3k or £25k into 10000hours there would be a similar focus on delivering value for money in business terms rather than in perks from the football club. I can totally empathise with you about business networking events - they are always a load of shite - but that doesn't mean 10000hours can't help to push you in front of potential business clients on a daily basis.

i know, you never know what business contact you will meet through this, its just a hard one to weigh up the complete package that is on offer.

i know, you never know what business contact you will meet through this, its just a hard one to weigh up the complete package that is on offer.

Yep especially with the lack of information and examples on board. If I was in your position I'd find it hard to justify a spend of £3000 but I suppose it's all about whether your business can afford a punt or not.

Yep especially with the lack of information and examples on board. If I was in your position I'd find it hard to justify a spend of £3000 but I suppose it's all about whether your business can afford a punt or not.

if it was a business investment then no problem, im just a normal working guy who is looking to possibly put in his own money.

I said it a while back that there should have been two types of 87 club membership. Perhaps there should be three types. I think there's quite a few families and working Buds that would invest in it. Like Gary I was going to go down the 87 club route; however the networking opportunity was of zero interest. I can do a lot of networking for £3K that will be a helluva lot more effective than the 87 club. This would have been a personal investment in the CIC to help it get some early capital investment to reduce the debt burden.

Like the make up of the BoD, the 87 club should have reflected the original CIC memberships. The community members could have been offered a membership designed for them based on MOUs just as had happened way back in the beginning of this. The commercial networking sorts could have had a package much more tailored to them. Then we could have had an individual or in my opinion a family 87 club membership with a package tailored specifically for them. Instead we wound up with a package leaning slightly towards small businesses, but not really targeting anyone.

I feel genuinely sorry for people who are obsessed with money and the economy to the total exclusion of everything else.

You and Reynard are two of a kind. He's talking about buying gold bullion.

For the 87 club, has the £3k to be paid upfront?

I'm not in a position to stump up all the cash just now (fecking new boiler!) but if there was an option to spread the cost over a year-2 years then I could be interested.

I think it's got to be paid upfront. You could always make a higher monthly commitment to the ordinary members category though.

For the 87 club, has the £3k to be paid upfront?

I'm not in a position to stump up all the cash just now (fecking new boiler!) but if there was an option to spread the cost over a year-2 years then I could be interested.

If you email either [email protected] or [email protected] then I'm sure they be able to sort something out with you.

Don't bank on it, I had trouble and called their helpline, still waiting and waiting whistling.gif

I've emailed them several times and got a prompt response; Richard has this email address linked to his phone so he usually answers it quickly if at he can.

Remember these guys aren't professional IT experts or web administrators, they're doing all the 10khours stuff in their spare time so I think you could give them a bit of leeway. Have you tried contacting them again, either phone or email?

They aren't faceless businesses, they are just a few guys who know as much technical stuff as the majority of the fans that are signing up. You could also try contacting Div, he'll maybe be more likely to help you out with technical (webby) stuff and remember he set up the website.