So Farewell Then Mike Winters

shull

One half of unfunny double act has died ( again ) aged 82.

His brother Bernie expired in 1991 at the age of 58.

His dog, Schnorbitz was easily the funniest of the three.

They got a really hard time every time they played Glasgow. The first time was at the Alhambra for the famous "Five Past Eight Show" (for our younger listeners a weekly variety show which brought lots of top names to the city). Bernie had come on stage on his own in the fur coat / straw boater outfit that he copied from Bud Flanagan. He stood centre stage cracking gags and got nothing. Stone silence, not a cheep from the audience. After a couple of minutes, Mike came on stage playing his clarinet and still nothing until a lone voice in the stalls was heard to utter "Sufferin' Christ - there's two of them!".

They got a really hard time every time they played Glasgow. The first time was at the Alhambra for the famous "Five Past Eight Show" (for our younger listeners a weekly variety show which brought lots of top names to the city). Bernie had come on stage on his own in the fur coat / straw boater outfit that he copied from Bud Flanagan. He stood centre stage cracking gags and got nothing. Stone silence, not a cheep from the audience. After a couple of minutes, Mike came on stage playing his clarinet and still nothing until a lone voice in the stalls was heard to utter "Sufferin' Christ - there's two of them!".

You can see why.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrNVMcLUbyU

A 6 minute sketch for 3-2-1 - one of the most watched programmes on prime time TV in the 80's - and this was the shite Bernie Winters came up with.

There's some acts that I remember as funny from when I was a kid that when I watch them back today I realise somewhat disappointedly that they haven't stood the test of time. Bernie Winters though always left me wondering how the f**k he got work of any kind at all. Dunno about the other one that died today - I can't remember him at all but I guess that might be because he didn't have a dog with him.