Ebola

Why let the facts get in the way of a Daily Mail fuelled rant.

Ebola has killed 670 people from a population of 290million. It is hardly at the stage of being the most deadly virus ever.

According to W.H.O. malaria killed 627,000 people in 2012 alone. Over 80% of those were children. Why are the press not letting the public be aware of these facts. Remember SARS & Bird Flu they were going to wipe us all out.

You're certainly correct in one sense, but malaria isn't a like for like comparison, as firstly is caused by a single celled protozoan and it's infection vector is via mosquitos, which are far more effective at spreading disease than human vectors.

Relative to other viruses ebola's "spread rate" is relatively low. If you look at the average number of individuals that the disease is spread to by one infected individual, ebola's figure is two people.

Compare that with HIV, which was touted as wiping out the huan race in the 80's, it's number is 4, as is SARS.

The higher numbers tend to be found in relatively "tame" viral diseases like mumps (10) and measles (14).

As others have mentioned, the biggest problem is lack of infrastructure in the affected countries, mostly due to lack of sewage systems and personal hygiene.

There was an expert in the field of epidemiology on the radio yesterday, who was asked about a localised transmission of ebola at a port in Nigeria and why it hadn't spread to the extent of other affected counties. His answer was that it was because Nigeria is a very wealthy nation and has the means to contain the spread, unlike Sierra Leone and Liberia.

This would most likely be the case in most developed countries, particularly as they have had time to put detailed plans in place to deal with infected individuals. If barrier nursing is carried out properly, the risk of infection is minimal and it's human error that leads to infections in medical staff. The infected Spanish nurse apparently touched her face whilst wearing gloves used whilst treating the patient, which was ultimately her downfall.

The biggest worry is the continued spread in Africa. If the spread here can be reduced then the problem will be reduced markedly. Hence the reason 750 troops and other trained staff have been drafted in to help out at source by improving the affected countries infrastructure.

So, as you say, avoid the sensationalist tabloids and seek out reliable info from reliable websites.

Edited by FTOF

I've got a certificate for doing CPR and I'm registered through work to put plasters and bandages on young children. Maybe I could ..............sort it all out.

Give me 10 minutes and I'll get a Just Giving page set up to pay for the (one way) airfare...........

I'd offer to pay myself but I feel that everyone would want to know they'd helped to get rid of one of the nastiest things ever to turn up on Planet Earth.

Give me 10 minutes and I'll get a Just Giving page set up to pay for the (one way) airfare...........

I'd offer to pay myself but I feel that everyone would want to know they'd helped to get rid of one of the nastiest things ever to turn up on Planet Earth.

Dearie me, heavily editing my posts now to suit your personal agenda now. You really are obsessive.

I think calling yourself the nastiest thing on Planet Earth is being a bit harsh on yourself...

....actually it's not. thumbup2.gif

Edited by iTony

Nothing short of classic , LMFAO. .

Hhmmm...

"Classic"? I'm not so sure. For starters he only copied the bits of my post that would fit with his hate-filled paranoid ramblings about me. Secondly his post was nothing but pure hatred. Sure, it's a "classic" - if you are of a certain persuasion, such as Natsi-ism that is. Also he couldn't afford to buy me a plane ticket. He probably could afford to buy me a little model plane but not a plane ticket. My guess is he'd buy me a miniature Focke-Wulf Fw 190.

It was only a question.

And 1930's nightclubs were similar to websites? How?

It's the theme of them. This you knew and fully understood, unless of course you're as clever as that Salmon(d)buddie and FTOF. I know they have some kind of difficulties with language and numeracy etc. but I didn't think you did - I was obviously wrong of course, which isn't very often. cool.png

It's the theme of them. This you knew and fully understood, unless of course you're as clever as that Salmon(d)buddie and FTOF. I know they have some kind of difficulties with language and numeracy etc. but I didn't think you did - I was obviously wrong of course, which isn't very often. cool.png

I may have used this before but think it's worth repeating given what i(rrational)Tony's posted here......Carlsberg doesn't do irony, but if it did.......

Found ANY of those posts yet, troll?

Hhmmm...

"Classic"? I'm not so sure. For starters he only copied the bits of my post that would fit with his hate-filled paranoid ramblings about me. Secondly his post was nothing but pure hatred. Sure, it's a "classic" - if you are of a certain persuasion, such as Natsi-ism that is. Also he couldn't afford to buy me a plane ticket. He probably could afford to buy me a little model plane but not a plane ticket. My guess is he'd buy me a miniature Focke-Wulf Fw 190.

Talking about the Focke-Wulf Fw 190, has anyone noticed the similarity between the "Wings Over Scotland" logo and the Luftwaffe Eagle logo?

Google it for yourselves and see...

So why have you accused me of it?

You admit that nightclubs and websites are nothing alike then. OK, I'll accept your climb-down graciously.

flipa.gif

Because you have proved me wrong, which is why I said "I was obviously wrong of course, which isn't very often".

Does being daft come naturally to you and your fellow Boot Boys?

If it makes you happy, like the clapping (I know, I've already used that one), you keep telling yourself that.

As for proving it, I have no interest in trawling through hundreds of pages of Dorothy's posts just to prove a f**king dafty wrong. Yes ... I know ... you'll accuse me of another climb-down ... keep clapping, fishy. clap.giffish.gif

See, you'll be losing face with your fellow "Nationalists" who insist on requests for proof of quotes. I don't need to show any quotes as nearly every post you Boot Boys post is full of pure, unadulterated, natsi-ism filth and you all have so many posts I'd be here for the rest of my life quoting them not to mention the ones you've all still to post in the future.

Again, I'm not aware of any forum member called "Dorothy" but she seems to have gotten under your skin in the similar way that someone called "Tracey" did to Faraway Saint so whoever she is I'd love to shake her hand and buy a drink one day.

Oh and nice "climb-down" by the way! jerry.gif

Why let the facts get in the way of a Daily Mail fuelled rant.

Ebola has killed 670 people from a population of 290million. It is hardly at the stage of being the most deadly virus ever.

According to W.H.O. malaria killed 627,000 people in 2012 alone. Over 80% of those were children. Why are the press not letting the public be aware of these facts. Remember SARS & Bird Flu they were going to wipe us all out.

Is that the figures in the Daily Mail ? 3,000 have died so far in West Africa while another 7,000 have contracted the virus. I wrote it could hit Europe like the black plague ok that's a bit strong but this virus is deadly if it was to get into the population of Europe hospitals across Europe could not coup with the quarantine for thousands of people. The virus would spread like wild fire killing thousands , I'm not being over dramatic here read up on the virus.

Edit

More than 200 of the victims have been health care workers. Five members of our team have lost their battle with Ebola, Sabeti told NBC News. Its frightening.

Edited by Isle Of Bute Saint

See, you'll be losing face with your fellow "Nationalists" who insist on requests for proof of quotes. I don't need to show any quotes as nearly every post you Boot Boys post is full of pure, unadulterated, natsi-ism filth and you all have so many posts I'd be here for the rest of my life quoting them not to mention the ones you've all still to post in the future.

Go on, post just one of the posts I've made full of "pure, unadulterated, natsi-ism filth." Just one, troll, just one.

Have you looked at your post count compared to mine? At this moment you have made 552 posts in 2 months and 1 day, I have made 1,266 (just under 2.3 times as many) in the best part of 5 years and 9 months. So about 276 per month for you and about 18.3 per month for me. So you are making about 15 times as many posts as me per month on average - and you've still to make one that makes sense.

You would have to be numerate to understand that or work out that I'm about 14.3 per month and (apparently) we're not numerate. I, for one, don't understand those figures and I bet you guessed yours just like I did mine.......

ps - apologies for "heavily editing" your post to show just the bit I wanted to comment on.

That first bit makes no sense whatsoever, I can't even guess at what the f**k that means.

Have you looked at your post count compared to mine? At this moment you have made 552 posts in 2 months and 1 day, I have made 1,266 (just under 2.3 times as many) in the best part of 5 years and 9 months. So about 276 per month for you and about 18.3 per month for me. So you are making about 15 times as many posts as me per month on average - and you've still to make one that makes sense.

"Again"??? I don't recall you making that point before though I might be mistaken. Could you tell me where you made this point, fishy?

And why would you be shaking your own hand?

I haven't a clue why you're going on about number of posts made. I guess this is just another attempt at dodging you being shown up for what you really are. That was tactics very typical of the Gestapo - clutch at straws when put on the back foot.

As for me making that point before - I did, obviously you didn't understand it or were incapable of reading it - no change there then.

I wouldn't be shaking my own hand, as you perfectly well know. Oh wait you don't as you're incapable of thinking that more than one person may disagree with you so everyone who disagrees with you must be the same person - very Faraway Saint-esque I must say, are you sure you're not one of his aliases?

Yep, just plucked the number out of thin air. I've apparently got a habit of doing that. I probably did it all the way through my B.Sc. Mathematics. biggrin.png

Edit away to your hearts content, I don't give a flying fishy. biggrin.png

I'm the same, working as a quantity surveyor in nuclear decommissioning we're encouraged to guess everything rather than have to do sums.

If you are both telling the truth (which I'm struggling to believe) then you two should have a decent chance of gaining employment with a really good employer earning very good money. So, instead of sitting on your backsides all day and night on this website, why don't you go and apply for a better job? If you have these abilities and are as clever as you say, I'm sure you'll have a good shout of being the successful candidates?

Edited by iTony

If you are both telling the truth (which I'm struggling to believe) then you two should have a decent chance of gaining employment with a really good employer earning very good money. So, instead of sitting on your backsides all day and night on this website, why don't you go and apply for a better job? If you have these abilities and are as clever as you say, I'm sure you'll have a good shout of being the successful candidates?

I'm at work just now ya fud. Just back from a 2hr business lunch. Need to sit back now to let all the free food digest - only got another 2hrs until home time so don't know if it will manage to digest in that time. Maybe just put up the "Do Not Disturb" and have a kip.

No need for petty name calling. Did you even read my post? I said you both could get a "better job". To most people this would suggest that I thought you already had one. I never said that you were both unemployed did I? No, I didn't but don't let that get in the way of your Reichsministerium für Volksaufklärung und Propaganda and gaining "credibility" with your pals...

Edited by iTony