Time Off During International Break

Kemp

If the story is true that the team were given extra days off over the international break then that in itself is a sacking offence for the manager!

Not all of our players have been with national teams and I tried to bring in as many as possible who had actually trained together over the past 12 days. It seemed to work well, but at half‑time the players were a little surprised at being comfortably in the lead.

That's Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp after beating Man City 4-1. Clearly he didn't decide as half his squad would be away to give the rest some time off.

John Rankin was on Sportsound the other night and said Dundee United would normally give them a few days off over the international break but "given the situation we are in" big Mixu cancelled that and had them in working harder. (And a 2-1 defeat to St Johnstone is a great result for them actually!)

In general I don't understand how Scottish footballers find it acceptable to train a few mornings a week and call themselves full time pros. I know you can overtrain and over exert yourself but surely Alex Miller has been brought in to coach these guys on the technical side of the game and help make them in to one strong unit? Given the current performances and lack of basic ability in passing, moving, holding any form of shape, they should be doing 12 hour shifts every day!

I honestly find it all very confusing. Guys like Shankland, Baird and Mallan are at a point where if they knuckle down they could end up in England making 10 to 30k per week in the not too distant future. Shankland was breathing out his arse after 50 minutes!

We've got a great training complex, a great coach in now, and a team in need of a lot of work. Surely the past couple of weeks would have been a great time to get down to some hard work?

Kemp- Best post on here in ages- Exactly. The club is upside down. The tories foreign policies make more sense than us.

I cant believe that Murray came out with the "time off" line. Even from a marketing stance that line was a disaster. And I do believe that fitness is poor at Saints in general. Lets be honest Ton ran us ragged second half, as did Hibs , Falkirk and Gers.

We have a young team with scatterings of experience. Only players with a true engine are Mallan and Goodwin

Edited by DougJamie

If the story is true that the team were given extra days off over the international break then that in itself is a sacking offence for the manager!

That's Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp after beating Man City 4-1. Clearly he didn't decide as half his squad would be away to give the rest some time off.

John Rankin was on Sportsound the other night and said Dundee United would normally give them a few days off over the international break but "given the situation we are in" big Mixu cancelled that and had them in working harder. (And a 2-1 defeat to St Johnstone is a great result for them actually!)

In general I don't understand how Scottish footballers find it acceptable to train a few mornings a week and call themselves full time pros. I know you can overtrain and over exert yourself but surely Alex Miller has been brought in to coach these guys on the technical side of the game and help make them in to one strong unit? Given the current performances and lack of basic ability in passing, moving, holding any form of shape, they should be doing 12 hour shifts every day!

I honestly find it all very confusing. Guys like Shankland, Baird and Mallan are at a point where if they knuckle down they could end up in England making 10 to 30k per week in the not too distant future. Shankland was breathing out his arse after 50 minutes!

We've got a great training complex, a great coach in now, and a team in need of a lot of work. Surely the past couple of weeks would have been a great time to get down to some hard work?

100% Agree.

Did we not have a sports scientist that got punted a couple of years ago?

Tommy Craig's team last season were pretty woeful for fitness levels. This year is worse, I don't think we have scored in the last 15 minutes of a match all season.

Did we not have a sports scientist that got punted a couple of years ago?

Tommy Craig's team last season were pretty woeful for fitness levels. This year is worse, I don't think we have scored in the last 15 minutes of a match all season.

Wasn't that a video analyst? Unless we had a sport scientist as well but I doubt it.

During Danny's time we had a sport scientist. He was a slim, tall guy with long hair - can't remember his name. My season ticket (which hasn't been renewed now for 2 seasons) was directly behind the home dugout and Danny used him to make sure subs rotated warm-ups through matches and were ready to come on when needed. I think the Aaron Mooy spin bikes were his idea too.

Long gone are the days when our players had that level of fitness, tactical ability, technique, passion or played in a team that knew what it was doing.

We had a sports psychologist, but TC said he could motivate the players fine without him so we let him go - he wasn't full time more a consultant.

Yes, back then we had a sport psychologist too. I spoke to him once but again I can't remember his name. He generally sat in the stand with a notepad/iPad or the likes and took notes all match of each player's reaction to specific incidents, body language etc. I think he spent a bit of time with each of them through the week too.

He was only part-time and wouldn't have cost the club that much really. However his contribution to morale was huge. Back then St Mirren was a club players wanted to come to and Premiership clubs were happy to send loanees to.

Again, another cut by our wonderful BoD that has really served the club well.

Edited by Losing My Religion