Jump to content

Syrian Refugees


Isle Of Bute Saint
 Share

Recommended Posts

As it turns out London tube bomber  Yahah Farroukh visited his family in Rothesay im sure i have seen him before . Wonder now if some sort of security will be introduced by Cal Mac.                                                                                               In Rothesay there are two male hairdressers more than enough for the male population these two owners are very disappointed that A Syrian was handed £15,000 to open a hairdresser in the town the help did not stop there as gudiance and fast tracked by the council to get the shop open.   Two local hairdressers reporting their business are being affected.  Its hard to understand for outsiders the lack of money on the island due to high unemployment. Very few have full time jobs lots of locals have 2 to 3 part time jobs.                                                                                                                                                                               Next up  bakers , the island has its own bakery,  Electric Bakery producing Bread , rolls, cakes , various savoury pies deliverd through out the island to shops and cafes. Electric Bakery employes 10 full time workers. Mount Stewart sell Artisn bread to the public baked in house. Co-op also bakes bread  in house.                                                                                             Next a local restaurant owner took ill and put the Waterfront up for sale dropping the price to £80,000. No idea who purchased the Waterfront but now another Syrian has been given £30,000 to open the Waterfront as a  bakery.                                                              Bute has a small comunity the Scottish government seems to have a complete lack of understanding what a struggle it is for local businesses. Yet throw money at refugees to open two business to compete  with local businesses in a high unemployment area is astounding.     Yes we all know Syrian refugees need refuge and not all of them are bad. However there are plenty locals would cut there arm off to get £15,000 never mind £30,000 to go self employed.  There has even been a brand new mini bus purchased to take refugees to prayers.  Nothing here is not walkable . From what i hear think this will be a seat the SNP will loose sadly.         

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


As it turns out London tube bomber  Yahah Farroukh visited his family in Rothesay im sure i have seen him before . Wonder now if some sort of security will be introduced by Cal Mac.                                                                                               In Rothesay there are two male hairdressers more than enough for the male population these two owners are very disappointed that A Syrian was handed £15,000 to open a hairdresser in the town the help did not stop there as gudiance and fast tracked by the council to get the shop open.   Two local hairdressers reporting their business are being affected.  Its hard to understand for outsiders the lack of money on the island due to high unemployment. Very few have full time jobs lots of locals have 2 to 3 part time jobs.                                                                                                                                                                               Next up  bakers , the island has its own bakery,  Electric Bakery producing Bread , rolls, cakes , various savoury pies deliverd through out the island to shops and cafes. Electric Bakery employes 10 full time workers. Mount Stewart sell Artisn bread to the public baked in house. Co-op also bakes bread  in house.                                                                                             Next a local restaurant owner took ill and put the Waterfront up for sale dropping the price to £80,000. No idea who purchased the Waterfront but now another Syrian has been given £30,000 to open the Waterfront as a  bakery.                                                              Bute has a small comunity the Scottish government seems to have a complete lack of understanding what a struggle it is for local businesses. Yet throw money at refugees to open two business to compete  with local businesses in a high unemployment area is astounding.     Yes we all know Syrian refugees need refuge and not all of them are bad. However there are plenty locals would cut there arm off to get £15,000 never mind £30,000 to go self employed.  There has even been a brand new mini bus purchased to take refugees to prayers.  Nothing here is not walkable . From what i hear think this will be a seat the SNP will loose sadly.         
 


One Country Many Cultures IOBS.

It was the mantra for many a year.

We NEED to increase immigration for the sake of the economy.

Integration? Never ever mentioned.

One country many distrusting ghetto's in the making.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, BuddieinEK said:

 


One Country Many Cultures IOBS.

It was the mantra for many a year.

We NEED to increase immigration for the sake of the economy.

Integration? Never ever mentioned.

One country many distrusting ghetto's in the making.

 

Probably my longish post can be misunderstood. On Bute there are Polish , German , Far East, coloured citizens living on Bute i and everyone else I know have no problem with immigrants coming to Bute or Scotland. The problem here is high unemployment where locals and not given £15,00 & 30,000 to go self emplyed then all the back up help also. Next they are opening businesses that already exist it has to be remembered this is not a big town it is a small community where businesses struggle, feelings will run high if there has to be lay offs of locals due to a down turn in takings.

If help is put forward for them to open businesses then they should be something new and constructive to the island. As I wrote there are locals who would give there right arm to be given that sort of money to start up self employment. Its not just the money it's the guidance and help along with fast tracked which locals do not receive. The two hairdresser shops takings are already down. The Bakers will be hit next. This has been handled wrongly given it is a small Island with a small population.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Probably my longish post can be misunderstood. On Bute there are Polish , German , Far East, coloured citizens living on Bute i and everyone else I know have no problem with immigrants coming to Bute or Scotland. The problem here is high unemployment where locals and not given £15,00 & 30,000 to go self emplyed then all the back up help also. Next they are opening businesses that already exist it has to be remembered this is not a big town it is a small community where businesses struggle, feelings will run high if there has to be lay offs of locals due to a down turn in takings.
If help is put forward for them to open businesses then they should be something new and constructive to the island. As I wrote there are locals who would give there right arm to be given that sort of money to start up self employment. Its not just the money it's the guidance and help along with fast tracked which locals do not receive. The two hairdresser shops takings are already down. The Bakers will be hit next. This has been handled wrongly given it is a small Island with a small population.


No misundestanding IOBS.

I just spent the weekend on Bute.

My wife has had family on thr island all her life and we stay there every year.

Her cousins work and often look for work on the island.

I totally understand where you are coming from and share your bewilderment.

How to fuel resentment!

My dig was at government policy of increased immigration without Integration.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm sure it's very common for new businesses to be given start up grants, especially in areas of high unemployment. There's nothing unusual in that.

Presumably the new shop will also employ people.

And if takings are down at existing shops then islanders are obviously using the new Syrian one so not sure who is going to be resented or who will be doing the resenting.

Edited by Thorizaar
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, HSS said:

What colour are the coloured citizens?

Does it matter what colour or faith anyone is find that a strange comment ? The point is money given out which has an effect on local businesses and why locals do not receive the same help ?

Edited by Isle Of Bute Saint
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Thorizaar said:

I'm sure it's very common for new businesses to be given start up grants, especially in areas of high unemployment. There's nothing unusual in that.

Presumably the new shop will also employ people.

And if takings are down at existing shops then islanders are obviously using the new Syrian one so not sure who is going to be resented or who will be doing the resenting.

I have been unemployed for a while now. Next few weeks my own venture into self employment will open. Received no help financial or otherwise. I had to wait months to get planing for various changes where they were fast tracked in weeks for the same thing. That does not bother me talking to other businesses i fully understand their full concern when it affects their income. Or full time employees of the Bakers end up losing their full time jobs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

I have been unemployed for a while now. Next few weeks my own venture into self employment will open. Received no help financial or otherwise. I had to wait months to get planing for various changes where they were fast tracked in weeks for the same thing. That does not bother me talking to other businesses i fully understand their full concern when it affects their income. Or full time employees of the Bakers end up losing their full time jobs.

If only - I dream of being made redundant.  :snore

Bring me your huddled masses and  let one of them have my job - please!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Bud the Baker said:

If only - I dream of being made redundant.  :snore

Bring me your huddled masses and  let one of them have my job - please!

It's when you don't have what you did that gives you a huge wake up call Colin. Stick with it and get you and the family on a chill out holiday.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Does it matter what colour or faith anyone is find that a strange comment ? The point is money given out which has an effect on local businesses and why locals do not receive the same help ?

I quoted you as the term "coloured " is very non PC these days..It should not be used to descibe skin type/race.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

All of this sounds like people looking for excuses to resent people. So what are these refugees supposed to do, live interred in a prison camp ?  Are you actually saying that business start up grants are being handed out to foreigners but not locals ?  Is this another case of 'them coming over here and taking our jobs' paranoia ?  Would you be as bothered if nice ordinary white folks came up from England and opened a pub or a bookie's or something else on Bute ?  Maybe 'them Syrians' should just concentrate on making bombs to put on subway trains like we expect them to do ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, FS said:

All of this sounds like people looking for excuses to resent people. So what are these refugees supposed to do, live interred in a prison camp ?  Are you actually saying that business start up grants are being handed out to foreigners but not locals ?  Is this another case of 'them coming over here and taking our jobs' paranoia ?  Would you be as bothered if nice ordinary white folks came up from England and opened a pub or a bookie's or something else on Bute ?  Maybe 'them Syrians' should just concentrate on making bombs to put on subway trains like we expect them to do ?

Utter nonsense im sorry to say. Read a of the above. Everyone is accepted here with open arms. Kids are invited to football trainings all sorts of clubs invite everyone along. This is the type of place where a family home had a fire islanders who could put money into a fund. Put yourself in your own hairdressers 4 doors along another opens with everything paid for while you put life savings into you your shop. Grants you say i got nothing not a penny. Why did i have to wait months on planning while they took weeks. There is not an even playing field here in many respects not just one. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, FS said:

All of this sounds like people looking for excuses to resent people. So what are these refugees supposed to do, live interred in a prison camp ?  Are you actually saying that business start up grants are being handed out to foreigners but not locals ?  Is this another case of 'them coming over here and taking our jobs' paranoia ?  Would you be as bothered if nice ordinary white folks came up from England and opened a pub or a bookie's or something else on Bute ?  Maybe 'them Syrians' should just concentrate on making bombs to put on subway trains like we expect them to do ?

 Many have money transferd from Syria  when they left the county. They must have as there are ones not working running around in cars one being a new Merc. Dont tell me that is a grant also ? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Utter nonsense im sorry to say. Read a of the above. Everyone is accepted here with open arms. Kids are invited to football trainings all sorts of clubs invite everyone along. This is the type of place where a family home had a fire islanders who could put money into a fund. Put yourself in your own hairdressers 4 doors along another opens with everything paid for while you put life savings into you your shop. Grants you say i got nothing not a penny. Why did i have to wait months on planning while they took weeks. There is not an even playing field here in many respects not just one. 

Yes but did you apply for or qualify for a business start up grant ?  Can you prove locals are being hard done by in favour of incomers ?  Is there ACTUAL policy at play here that's against local business aid, do the refugees qualify for special consideration ?  All of these questions need answered, otherwise it's just comes across as sour grapes. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, FS said:

Yes but did you apply for or qualify for a business start up grant ?  Can you prove locals are being hard done by in favour of incomers ?  Is there ACTUAL policy at play here that's against local business aid, do the refugees qualify for special consideration ?  All of these questions need answered, otherwise it's just comes across as sour grapes. 

Well my wife studied Polaties to become a teacher. She went through a goverment agency attending  3 classes a week. I could not believe the number of e-mails on a daily basis. My wife gave up financing herself. A Canadian girl went through the same process for a year. She ended up with nothing. A local brewery took her on as a cheff. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

 Many have money transferd from Syria  when they left the county. They must have as there are ones not working running around in cars one being a new Merc. Dont tell me that is a grant also ? 

Probably a Mobility car.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...