St Mirren Official Match Programme

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, BigYardsAndBasher said:

Make St. Mirren football programmes great again!

I don't even bother buying them anymore now unless they have a special cover on them such as when Frank McGarvey, Billy Thompson sadly passed away.

Agree totally.

No effort from the Club.

No purchase from me.

We've covered branding etc on this before but what is it that'd you'd like to see on the covers, from memory the type of things you like are 'throwback or nostalgic', are the sales justifying making bespoke covers for every match worth while after all there is a cost? Serious question, what do you want to see? 

Obviously can't answer for Shull but for me, I remember matchday programmes from the late 1980s, especially 1987/1988.

Those programmes had a "match shot" photograph from the previous weeks match or last home match.  I used to love those and look forward to what player might be on the next home game match cover.  Would it be a photograph taken near where I stood with family members?  Would I be able to see myself or someone I knew in the background?

Then later on, there was David Grier's (I think that's the correct surname?) excellent column "A View From the Northbank".  A wonderful read in every issue.  My parents spoke to him at Easter Road once and he came across as a lovely guy with good knowledge of Saints and Scottish football in general.  I read on social media he now goes to Pollok FC matches?

Anyway, make St. Mirren matchday programmes great again.  Make blackandwhitearmy.com great again, make Scottish football great again.

7 hours ago, BigYardsAndBasher said:

Then later on, there was David Grier's (I think that's the correct surname?) excellent column "A View From the Northbank".  A wonderful read in every issue.  My parents spoke to him at Easter Road once and he came across as a lovely guy with good knowledge of Saints and Scottish football in general.  I read on social media he now goes to Pollok FC matches?

I remember David Grier very well, a genuinely smashing bloke. What can have happened that he no longer attends St Mirren matches ?

I also had business dealings with him many years ago when he worked for one of the big 5 Accountants based in George Square Glasgow at the time. 

3 hours ago, Wilbur said:

I remember David Grier very well, a genuinely smashing bloke. What can have happened that he no longer attends St Mirren matches ?

I also had business dealings with him many years ago when he worked for one of the big 5 Accountants based in George Square Glasgow at the time. 

I haven't a clue but I'm sure the man must have had his reasons.

I don't claim to know the man well.  As I said, it was his column in matchday programmes from the past that I knew his name and face then we bumped into him at Easter Road once.  I listened while he had a brief chat with my parents.

As you say, he seemed like a genuinely smashing guy, very polite.