Coronavirus

faraway saint

41 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

They would have had to have come up with the idea, decided how to do the experiment to make it feasible and then apply for funding.

Then the researcher leads would need to staff the project with the postdocs and PhD students who do the actual research.

Nobody is just sitting on research money.

That would explain at least a few months of the delay.

Waiting until the second wave is well underway seems a bit lax though, "they" should've started earlier.

41 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

Record number of Covid cases reported today - what would you call it?

As a Brucie Bonus life expectancy in Scotland in now the lowest in Western Europe!

An over-reaction from a panicking government which is absolutely terrified of f**king things up ahead of next years Holyrood election and the impending IndyRef2.

As for life expectancy, I couldn't care less. If you eat nothing but chips you're going to die early and probably have a range of health issues. Eat properly, don't smoke and cut down on alcohol. It's not rocket science. There's only so much you can blame a government for.

Edited by oaksoft

2 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

An over-reaction from a panicking government which is absolutely terrified of f**king things up ahead of next years Holyrood election and the impending IndyRef2.

As for life expectancy, I couldn't care less. If you eat nothing but chips you're going to die early and probably have a range of health issues. Eat properly, don't smoke and cut down on alcohol. It's not rocket science. There's only so much you can blame a government for.

Classy as ever!

32 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

Classy as ever!

Perhaps but point out where my logic is wrong?

Our problems are related to our eating, smoking and alcohol addictions. I'm just saying it straight. You want to beat around the bush then feel free to waste your own time. Countless thousands die needlessly each year because they've smoked, drank and eaten themselves into an early grave but what really offends you is me saying that out loud? Whit? :blink: 

As for covid, we've been seeing an exponential increase in cases for over a month but no real increase in either deaths or hospitalisations. The latter two are the only two metrics which matter. I'll start worrying when that begins to happen.

Edited by oaksoft

4 hours ago, Bud the Baker said:

Record number of Covid cases reported today - what would you call it?

As a Brucie Bonus life expectancy in Scotland in now the lowest in Western Europe!

Perhaps, but that has nothing to do with Covid. No deaths again today, only 6 in the last week.

43 minutes ago, eastlandssaint said:

That is the most stupid suggestion I've heard so far. 😂

There is ZERO chance I'm going to go into shielding unless thousands start dying in Scotland from this every day. If it gets me, it gets me and that goes for my family members too. Life is risk and there's no way I'm cowering under my duvet until Spring for anything or anyone.

Pretty sure I'm not alone in thinking this way.

Edited by oaksoft

3 hours ago, Long John Baldy said:

Poor students still whining like feck.

I feel sorry for them, after all, they are intelligent so they won't catch the virus. 

On a serious note, why don't they just shut the feck up and do what everyone else is doing and play the game? 

Because, and maybe you've forgotten this, they are embarking on their first exciting steps into adulthood. These years are very precious for them and they are being denied the right to enjoy what we all took for granted for something which isn't killing or hospitalising anyone.

I can absolutely understand their anger and frustration.

BTW, it's not all students doing this. Many of them are right behind the government on this "don't kill Granny" shite.

14 minutes ago, eastlandssaint said:

Incredible. We're trashing the economy for generations to come and there are under 100 people in hospital with this. It's absolutely tragic to sit and watch this. No wonder so many students are saying "f**k this" and rebelling against restrictions.

12 hours ago, Long John Baldy said:

Do me a favour.

It's another extension of school, hardly a life changing event. :lol:

Anger and frustration? :lol: Such a hard life, my arse. 

Now, while I agree with you the that there'e been another overreaction by the government they, students as a group, have considerably added to the numbers that are now seeing us all have to step back into more restrictions.

Mostly ignoring the advice, whether you agree with it or not, and now whining "poor them" while we all are having to lose contact with our families.

Again  the hilarious "kill granny" just  makes me laugh, the media love it, as do the stupid. 

Ach pipe doon ya numpty😄.

You're touching retirement. How would you know the first thing about being a young person or a student? 

Just now, oaksoft said:

The trend of no deaths?

4 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

And we are now at the end of September and still have almost no deaths.

What's your point caller?

No deaths or almost no deaths which is it?

......and all this from the guy who was predicting 100,000 deaths by the end of the year a few months ago! :blink:

Just now, Bud the Baker said:

No deaths or almost no deaths which is it?

......and all this from the guy who was predicting 100,000 deaths by the end of the year a few months ago! :blink:

Do you understand the concept of changing your view when the evidence shows you are wrong?

I ask because you seem to think it's a weakness.

1 minute ago, Bud the Baker said:

I didn't know you'd changed your view - congratulations.

I suspect you'll be changing it again.

Yes you did. You've literally just had a go at me for doing it.

I'll change my mind again if and when the evidence shows my position is wrong.

Right now, it looks like we missed a great chance to aim for herd immunity during the summer when almost nobody was dying from this. Now the restrictions will be with us until next Spring at the earliest.

BTW, I'm still waiting on an explanation for why you brought up the early average death rate in Scotland. You just made a statement, called me "classy" and disappeared. There's still time to explain your point...

11 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

I didn't know you'd changed your view - congratulations.

I suspect you'll be changing it again.

When you say "eat the rich", is it because the average Scot has literally eaten everything else he can chuck in a deep fryer?

Hmmm I wonder why Scots die earlier than most other European countries. It really is quite the conundrum.

Edited by oaksoft

39 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Yes you did. You've literally just had a go at me for doing it.

I'll change my mind again if and when the evidence shows my position is wrong.

Right now, it looks like we missed a great chance to aim for herd immunity during the summer when almost nobody was dying from this. Now the restrictions will be with us until next Spring at the earliest.

BTW, I'm still waiting on an explanation for why you brought up the early average death rate in Scotland. You just made a statement, called me "classy" and disappeared. There's still time to explain your point...

No I didn't, there were posts and graphs :whistle aplenty where you argued that there would be, if I missed the "one" where you retracted this position then so be it - it seems to me the equivalent of a newspaper printing a small retraction at the bottom of p27 and hoping nobody notices it. 

Fairy Nuff.

Erm yeah - statin' the bleedin obvious.

As I said at the time it was just an observation and not really connected to Covid - "a Brucie Bonus". I thought it was fairly clear to understand, I still do.  Disappeared, yeah for 16 hours, I had better things to do and I have other things to be doing today so I'm likely to be disappearing again. You were indeed "classy" last night but priggish is a better term for it. 

34 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

When you say "eat the rich", is it because the average Scot has literally eaten everything else he can chuck in a deep fryer?

Hmmm I wonder why Scots die earlier than most other European countries. It really is quite the conundrum.

As ever your priggishness stands out.

Edited by Bud the Baker