Motorhome

faraway saint

4 minutes ago, Slarti said:
26 minutes ago, faraway saint said:
Not long back from first shopping trip for a motorhome.
Seen a couple of likely candidates at a dealer down in Perth direction.
Before we had a viewing I had a slight favourite but after the viewing, I'm pretty mixed.
Probably the nicer of the two is the slightly smaller.
90% of the time it'll be Mrs Faraway, myself and the dogs so it#s more than suitable for us.
On the other hand the other model is larger and more suitable if we take some of the family away with us.
Currently doing some research on the make/model.
The dealer is offering a full-years warranty and MOT so that gives us some breathing space if there's any issues in that period. 

On the other hand, if you get the smaller one ot gives you an excuse not to take anyone else. Depends on your preference I suppose.

As we're family orientated the larger one has that as an advantage.

Since posting we're taking my daughter, son in law and granddaughter down nexr weekend to have a look. 

Ok, so, 2nd viewing today, with daughter, son in law and granddaughter in tow, has resulted in us being more unsure than we were before. :lol:

Well, we've decided the smaller, if more stylish, van is a "no no" as it's just too tight with the two dogs and a granddaughter all included in any trips.

The bigger of the two isn't quite the quality Mrs Faraway is happy with, so, while it's not totally a write off, it's not looking like it'll be our choice.

The nice owner made a few phone calls and is bringing one in that's got a similar layout to van number two but is slightly more modern.

We'll go see it in a few weeks as we're off somewhere sunny this week. 

1 hour ago, faraway saint said:

Ok, so, 2nd viewing today, with daughter, son in law and granddaughter in tow, has resulted in us being more unsure than we were before. :lol:

Well, we've decided the smaller, if more stylish, van is a "no no" as it's just too tight with the two dogs and a granddaughter all included in any trips.

The bigger of the two isn't quite the quality Mrs Faraway is happy with, so, while it's not totally a write off, it's not looking like it'll be our choice.

The nice owner made a few phone calls and is bringing one in that's got a similar layout to van number two but is slightly more modern.

I would seriously encourage you both to trial a couple of holidays next year in different types of rented motor home. 
Good luck and enjoy your holiday in the sun. 🌞 

4 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Waiting until that time isn't a great idea as prices start to creep up after new year with people getting ready for the summer. 

Worth a visit for some ideas right enough. 

IIRC You aren’t retiring until September next year so it might be worth spending the next 9 months or so testing the different options as this is going to be a significant outlay. 

1 minute ago, Albanian Buddy said:

IIRC You aren’t retiring until September next year so it might be worth spending the next 9 months or so testing the different options as this is going to be a significant outlay. 

It is a significant outlay but they, on the whole, hold their value and if it turns out not to be for us the resale should see us recoup the vast majority of out outlay 

BTW, you haven’t met my wife. 🙄

On 12/3/2023 at 2:48 PM, faraway saint said:

Received the pictures of another possible motorhome, certainly looks like a better layout for us.

Will pop back down to Perth closer to Christmas for a look. 👍

4 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Received the pictures of another possible motorhome, certainly looks like a better layout for us.

Will pop back down to Perth closer to Christmas for a look. 👍

We’ve just booked one for our Euro 24 adventure picking it up in Stuttgart on 13th June and dropping back off on 25th June (although hopefully have to extend the hire), It’s an Esprit I 7150-2 DBM 

33 minutes ago, WeeBud said:

We’ve just booked one for our Euro 24 adventure picking it up in Stuttgart on 13th June and dropping back off on 25th June (although hopefully have to extend the hire), It’s an Esprit I 7150-2 DBM 

All tbe best mate.

As I've mentioned on here my mate and his wife are heading from Arbroath and, like you, hope it's longer than 2 weeks. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well, had the van hooked up to a charger since just before lunch time and nipped out about 4 as the rain came on quite heavy and, hey presto, she roared into life.

That's good, all being well we'll head down to Monifieth tomorrow with the dogs, have a bite to eat, take the dogs a walk and see if the Firestick works from Mrs Faraways phone.

Every wee trip is another step in the learning process.

The company we bought it from are coming to pick it up on Thursday to remove the old cooker and reinstall a new one.

25 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Well, had the van hooked up to a charger since just before lunch time and nipped out about 4 as the rain came on quite heavy and, hey presto, she roared into life.

That's good, all being well we'll head down to Monifieth tomorrow with the dogs, have a bite to eat, take the dogs a walk and see if the Firestick works from Mrs Faraways phone.

Every wee trip is another step in the learning process.

The company we bought it from are coming to pick it up on Thursday to remove the old cooker and reinstall a new one.

Sounds like you're just about set for a bit of an adventure soon.

3 minutes ago, StanleySaint said:

Sounds like you're just about set for a bit of an adventure soon.

Well tomorrow is looking like St Andrews.

The first weekend away will be a test, sure as fate we'll forget something but, as I said, every trip is a learning process.

This years all about finding our feet, next year we'll stretch our wings, more so as I'll have retired and we can go anytime we want. 

What size is your driveway? :lol: