Motorhome

faraway saint

11 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Has anybody got, or had experience of using a motorhome?

Mrs Faraway has decided we'd love one.

Me, I'm slightly on the side of "NAW"".

I'm assuming you are looking at a proper motorhome rather than a converted long wheel base van. My mate has just taken delivery of his second converted van and they have two dogs like yourself. They like it because it is easy to park up and get around in but still need an awning to give some space that you naturally get in a proper motorhome, depends on whether you like camping or not I guess. Not for me though mainly because MrsS nickname at work is 5 star, because she won't stay in anything less (slightly exaggerated but not too far from the truth).

20 hours ago, faraway saint said:

We hired one the year before covid hit & done 8 days across the western isles & West coast .   Amazing adventure , the freedom to roam & explore is great .

There are as with everything, a few down sides.
Remember, everywhere you go you have to take your Holiday / break accommodation with you.  Not brilliant if you just wanted to pop somewhere a few miles away for a quick visit.

Unless you’ve got experience of driving something transit size & up , maybe a wee test drive to see if it suits.

watch your mirrors on the narrow C roads ( from experience 😫

1 hour ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

We hired one the year before covid hit & done 8 days across the western isles & West coast .   Amazing adventure , the freedom to roam & explore is great .

There are as with everything, a few down sides.
Remember, everywhere you go you have to take your Holiday / break accommodation with you.  Not brilliant if you just wanted to pop somewhere a few miles away for a quick visit.

Unless you’ve got experience of driving something transit size & up , maybe a wee test drive to see if it suits.

watch your mirrors on the narrow C roads ( from experience 😫

And roof height, bridges and tunnels are signposted, over-hanging tree branches aren’t !!

23 hours ago, faraway saint said:

This guy is a good place to start. Since lockdown the prices have rocketed, might be best waiting a while until the market calms down.

Edited by ALBIONSAINT

On 8/28/2023 at 8:43 AM, StanleySaint said:

I'm assuming you are looking at a proper motorhome rather than a converted long wheel base van. My mate has just taken delivery of his second converted van and they have two dogs like yourself. They like it because it is easy to park up and get around in but still need an awning to give some space that you naturally get in a proper motorhome, depends on whether you like camping or not I guess. Not for me though mainly because MrsS nickname at work is 5 star, because she won't stay in anything less (slightly exaggerated but not too far from the truth).

Something similar to this, we can park it on our driveway. 

Mr Motor Home – Motorhomes on Merseyside

13 minutes ago, StanleySaint said:

Yeah, that's a proper one, I think Callum said remember you need to take it wherever you go unless you've got bikes or a teeny Smart car to tow along behind it.

Aye, while I've still to be convinced a bike would be my choice.

Ach, going to meet up with a mate who's had one for a few years and get the inside info from him. 👍

• 2 months later...

Just back from visiting a mate and his wife who've had a motorhome for about 3 years.

Very worthwhile visit, plenty of reassurance and realistic experiences.

We;ll head out in a couple of weeks and have a look at a few as they suggested it's best to see/go inside and have a good look as everyone's got different preferences for layout etc.

They've already made plans to go to Germany next year for the Euros. 

Just back from visiting a mate and his wife who've had a motorhome for about 3 years.
Very worthwhile visit, plenty of reassurance and realistic experiences.
We;ll head out in a couple of weeks and have a look at a few as they suggested it's best to see/go inside and have a good look as everyone's got different preferences for layout etc.
They've already made plans to go to Germany next year for the Euros. 

Is it your intention to buy or hire one?

Just wondering if maybe a wee weekend hire might help you make your mind up

Gies a wee update if you decide to try one

29 minutes ago, Scott-Leeds said:

Is it your intention to buy or hire one?

Just wondering if maybe a wee weekend hire might help you make your mind up

Gies a wee update if you decide to try one

Think we're a good way down the road to buying.

They seem to hold their value so the way I see it if we're not mad on it we'll, hopefully, not have lost much if we sell it on after a couple of years.

Edited by faraway saint

9 hours ago, W6er said:

I haven't gone one, but I think you should go for it. Not sure how close you are to retirement, but maybe that would be the best time? You could go on a six month tour of Europe in it. :) 

As my retirement date is sometime in the Autumn next year a tour of Europe at that time of the year wouldn't really be my cup of tea.

Also if I don't buy soon I won't have any money left as Mrs Faraway is mirroring a certain Viv Nicholson. :wink:

Edited by faraway saint

• 2 weeks later...

Not long back from first shopping trip for a motorhome.

Seen a couple of likely candidates at a dealer down in Perth direction.

Before we had a viewing I had a slight favourite but after the viewing, I'm pretty mixed.

Probably the nicer of the two is the slightly smaller.

90% of the time it'll be Mrs Faraway, myself and the dogs so it#s more than suitable for us.

On the other hand the other model is larger and more suitable if we take some of the family away with us.

Currently doing some research on the make/model.

The dealer is offering a full-years warranty and MOT so that gives us some breathing space if there's any issues in that period. 

Not long back from first shopping trip for a motorhome.
Seen a couple of likely candidates at a dealer down in Perth direction.
Before we had a viewing I had a slight favourite but after the viewing, I'm pretty mixed.
Probably the nicer of the two is the slightly smaller.
90% of the time it'll be Mrs Faraway, myself and the dogs so it#s more than suitable for us.
On the other hand the other model is larger and more suitable if we take some of the family away with us.
Currently doing some research on the make/model.
The dealer is offering a full-years warranty and MOT so that gives us some breathing space if there's any issues in that period. 

On the other hand, if you get the smaller one ot gives you an excuse not to take anyone else. Depends on your preference I suppose.