I'm Listening To....

Bud the Baker

Best of??? Is it a one-track single?

They must be really hopeless since they've released the same song as a single on three occasions.

The Knack on the West Coast with frenzied live performances long before GET THE KNACK seemingly took over the world for that brief moment in 1979. What attracted the fans and the stars for that matter (Bruce Springsteen, Tom Petty and Eddie Money all jumped onstage with the band in the late '70s) was the absolute hedonism of the band'spercolating power pop. The Knack has no underlying message.It trumpets no social agenda. In short, The Knack promises nothing except joyous bursts of three-minute pop songs.

The six million copies that GET THE KNACK sold is an inarguable testament that the rest of the world wanted to join the fun too. Drawing from the power pop bedrock of Buddy Holly, The Beatles, The Who, and the Kinks, the album charges with agust that deflates the self-important sails of nearly everyoverblown '70s progressive rock monolith. The hammering "MySharona" became the band's signature single. Full of relentless tension and adolescent lust, it is the template of the group's approach. However, the lesser known "Good Girls Don't" mines the same hormone-driven territory with the same, ifnot more effective, aplomb.

Fun Loving Criminals now that's a good live band. Have seen them a few times one of which was down in Irvine where I have never seen so many people completely out there faces on drugs. That was a completely uncomfortable night.

Fun Loving Criminals now that's a good live band. Have seen them a few times one of which was down in Irvine where I have never seen so many people completely out there faces on drugs. That was a completely uncomfortable night.

I was at that gig. Round about 2001? I was a bit miffed as well. It was staged on the five-a-side court we regularly played which was cancelled for that gig. They could've shifted it to the previous night.