Eddie Gallagher

I remember a horrible game down at Boghead with Eddie and Barry up front.

Eddie had banged in a hat trick and big Baz had missed half a dozen sitters as we destroyed Dumbarton.

3-0 up with ten miuntes left.

Final score - 3-3 !

Only St Mirren.......

Remember it well. Les Fridge was in goal that day and it was not that long after the pass back was outlawed. The bold Les picked up a passback and ref awarded the freekick about 10 yards out. Les then HANDED the ball to one of their players who promptly put it down, tapped it to his team mate who tapped it in while our defenders were still making their way back into position. As you say only Saints !

I worked with Eddie for a number of years.

He left to go to Ghana to be a manager of a team in their second division and got them promoted!!!

However he allegedly got sacked for punching one of his own players!!!

As far as I remember the deal to go to Hong Kong was done well before he got sent off against Dunfermline.

Pretty sure the 3 goals we lost at Dumbarton that day came after Jimmy Bone brought his nephew on as sub and ir disrupted the whole team.

Still, at 3-0 up with less than 15 to go he should have been able to bring me on up front and still leave with 3 points.

The first goal was one we pumped the ball out, the wind which was mega caught it and blew it back to the keeper who picked it up, free kick got given for a pass back (I think the rule had just started so refs were giving them a lot)

I was at Boghead that day for the 3-3 game. I was about 14 at the time and travelled to the game on my own as I couldn't persuade anyone to come with me! I remember feeling particularly smug at 3-0 thinking I could go back to Paisley and revel in the glory of being a 'real fan' - only for Bone to f*ck with the team and us to lose 3 goals in quick succession. Felt like a very bad defeat at the tiem, even if it was a draw. thumbdown.gif

Incidentally, was googling Eddie Gallagher to see what I could find and stumbled across this article about ex St Mirren players. http://wikipins.org/c/St._Mirren_F.C._players Interesting stuff - even if not fully up to date.

Edited by ianw

Was the Les Fridge passback fiasco not in a completely different game at Boghead? I remember it being at the other end of the park from where Dumbarton scored their three goals.

Apart from anything else, it was Campbell Money who was in goal in the 3-3 game, and Les Fridge was playing for Clyde at the time. http://www.stmirrenprogrammes.co.uk/StMirren/STM_Match_Details.php?Season=1993&GameID=2579

I suspect the Les Fridge passback game was this one http://www.stmirrenprogrammes.co.uk/StMirren/STM_Match_Details.php?Season=1992&GameID=2545

The worst thing about the 3-3 game was that it was John McF*ckingDonald who scored the equaliser. I didn't even know that diving bastard was still playing football until he popped up in the last minute of that game.

Remember that 4-2 game, FJ. That would be season 1992-93. Charnley did indeed score a penalty but either side of that game he missed one against Raith in a 1-1 draw and one against Morton in a 3-2 defeat, both games at Love Street. So the general consensus was that he couldnae score them under pressure. The 2-1 game was one I missed cos it was exam time round about February or March.

The 3-3 game was late October the following season. One of my mates from uni had his 21st on the Friday night and, although I intended to go to Boghead, I didn’t make the game as I spent most of the Saturday crashed at his suffering from a combination of hangover & severe whiteying.

If I recall correctly Dumbarton won 3-0 twice at Love Street with Alan Combe having a bit of a howler in the second game.

The final match against them that season was quite an encounter as well. Saints were 2-0 up at Boghead when Dumbarton came back to equalize. “Here we go again” we thought but there was enough time to get a winner and in turn slag their keeper who’d been laughing at us just a few minutes before.

Edited by Howard Hughes in BlueSuedeShoes