Monty Panesar

RickMcD

Monty dropped for all-rounder Samit Patel for the Second Test.

Sri Lanka First Innings 275

Cook batting even as I speak! whistling.gif

I like seeing Monty play but I think it's understandable picking Patel. Monty did himself no favours with his dropped catches in the first test. And he has huge big paws! At lest Strauss and Cook managed through to lunch. Should be an interesting day.

Erm, how many chances has KP had or indeed any number of English batsmen - if one poor performance is to get you dropped it should apply to everyone equally.

I suppose it's a variation on the Hasselbaink argument - do you go for a matchwinner with a tendancy to be erratic or stick with the safe choice? Patel (0-32 bowling in Sri Lanka's Innings) is much more likely to be part of a team effort.

Big session for both English batsmen.

Edited by Bud the Baker

Erm, how many chances has KP had or indeed any number of English batsmen - if one poor performance is to get you dropped it should apply to everyone equally.

I suppose it's a variation on the Hasselbaink argument - do you go for a matchwinner with a tendancy to be erratic or stick with the safe choice? Patel (0-32 bowling in Sri Lanka's Innings) is much more likely to be part of a team effort.

Big session for both English batsmen.

In football as well as cricket nowadays there is a tendency never to drop the really big names. Over the last couple of years it has infuriated me how many chances KP got. His stats for the last two years don't make particularly good reading. If he had a brain he would be dangerous and the idiot still hasn't taken on board the fact that cricket is a team game. I actually crossed swords with Piers Morgan about Pieterson a couple of years ago. Morgan kept going on about how badly KP had been treated and how a world class batsman couldn't be dropped. I got fed up reading his shit and e-mailed him. He responded in his magazine article quoting my e-mail allegedly but what was printed wasn't even close to what I said. The bastard ridiculed me. He and KP are good drinking buddies but that shouldn't blind you to his obvious faults. The thing with the big bugger is that every time when he must be very close to getting dropped he comes up with a big ton. He could even do it today.

In the EPL, I wonder if some of the big stars have it in their contract that they can't be dropped. Rooney,Ferdinand, Torres, Carroll and many more have got away with it at times. I'm not saying they never get dropped but without question 'ordinary' players will get dropped a hell of a lot quicker. I know the temptation to keep the really big players in the team must be great but how some get away with it for so long amazes me.

Looking forward to a good day's play today. Really so far it has been England v Mahela Jayawardene.

In football as well as cricket nowadays there is a tendency never to drop the really big names.

Yup it was around the time of Duncan Fletcher's tenure as England's coach then I started to hear the aphorism "form is temporary, class is permanent" and I suppose it's better than the mid-90's when there seemed to be pretty much a revolving door for England batsmen although even then Hick & Ramprakash got their fair share of chances and I recognize the decision to play Patel ahead of Panesar has it's own merits but I'd have said Monty deserved both Tests.

I see England are now 40 runs ahead with only three wickets down (with KP doing well whistling.gif ) - you've got to reckon Anderson won't get the same start he got on Day 1 when Sri Lanka bat again so it may well turn out to be a long stint for Swann & Patel & possibly even KP!

Drinks - halfway through the final session of the Day 4 and 8 overs till the new ball is due!

Sri Lanka 275 & 180/4 (72.0 ov)

England 460

Sri Lanka trail by 5 runs with 6 wickets remaining

I'm watching it ,Bud. I think England will win it but obviously not today. Jayawardene is the key as usual.

Fair enough I'll admit your boy did good this Test, but it wasn't really in adverse circumstances and doesn't change my opinion of him.

Rather like the Series let's call it a 1-1 draw.

I don't think there were really any failures from the England point of view over the two innings. I'd say you were right,Bud,In that they would almost certainly have won more quickly if Monty had been picked. Wish he could bat a bit. Cook did well, the pressure is off Strauss a bit, KP was brilliant, Anderson was brilliant and Swan showed why he's about the best bowler in the world at the minute. Jayawardene is world class.

• 3 months later...

Rain stopped play at Headingley - SA look certain to go into the final Test 1-0 and hopefully knock England off the No. 1 slot!

Meanwhile at Sabina Park my team are just about to complete a series win over NZ - hopefully Shiv Chanderpaul will score the winning runs and we'll see a re-emergance of Windies cricket with Chris Gayle back in the fold! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

I would love to see the Windies coming back to something approaching the way they used to be. A pace attack to scare the shit out opponents and wristy batsmen ripping the pish out bowling attacks.

The politics within the WICB have been a shade murkier than those at our own club over recent years but I'd like to think we're on the way back. The last couple of series in England have been difficult for Windies being scheduled at the start of the season when a lot of the pitches have got a bit of zip in them, I don't know if we'll ever get another chance to finish a tour on a sun-dried Oval pitch but yeah here's to the days of chin music and even though it was rather cruel at times roughing up the tail enders before they come in to bowl. Cricket it's a real mans sport!

The politics within the WICB have been a shade murkier than those at our own club over recent years but I'd like to think we're on the way back. The last couple of series in England have been difficult for Windies being scheduled at the start of the season when a lot of the pitches have got a bit of zip in them, I don't know if we'll ever get another chance to finish a tour on a sun-dried Oval pitch but yeah here's to the days of chin music and even though it was rather cruel at times roughing up the tail enders before they come in to bowl. Cricket it's a real mans sport!

My ambition as a young kid was to hurt a batsman with a bouncer! Holding had one of the best bowling actions to try and copy, a total rolls royce of a bowler.

Although I have to say that it has been good to see quality spin bowling again, it had more or less been chased out the game during the all pace attack days.

Did not realise you is from Da West Indies. Is it Trinidad? Tobago? Jamaica? Is you a relateev a Lenee 'Enree?

Did not realise you is from Da West Indies. Is it Trinidad? Tobago? Jamaica? Is you a relateev a Lenee 'Enree?

The Gulf Stream connects me in Ayr with my brothers in Antigua. Anyway they've been my team ever since they made England's South African captain Tony Greig eat his words about making them grovel in the dust back in the long hot summer of '76, roughly the same time the bug for Saints got the real hold of me. I've followed them both through good times & bad and as Grace Slick said Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now.

Edited by Bud the Baker

The Gulf Stream connects me in Ayr with my brothers in Antigua. Anyway they've been my team ever since they made England's South African captain Tony Greig eat his words about making them grovel in the dust back in the long hot summer of '76, roughly the same time the bug for Saints got the real hold of me. I've followed them both through good times & bad and as Grace Slick said Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now.

Slightly ill judged...lol.gif