shull

The Rugby Thread

Warriors well beaten by a fired up Munster, 38-17 final score.

No complaints about the outcome on the day but personally I think it was wrong to play the game so close to Foley's death and funeral. Completely unfair on Glasgow.

Scotland 27 22 Ireland

Great result, Stuart Hogg has his boarding card for the plane to NZ, hopefully Jonny Gray as well. A few others putting their hands up, too, Seymour, Maitland, Dunbar, Wilson. Fagerson could be a good shout, too, for the experience if nothing else.

On 2/5/2017 at 9:05 AM, salmonbuddie said:

Scotland 27 22 Ireland

Great result, Stuart Hogg has his boarding card for the plane to NZ, hopefully Jonny Gray as well. A few others putting their hands up, too, Seymour, Maitland, Dunbar, Wilson. Fagerson could be a good shout, too, for the experience if nothing else.

I'd stick Greig Laidlaw & Finn Russell in amongst that lot as well. Absolutely brilliant performance and fantastic result. Gonna be a great tournament.

Edited to add:- Actually, I’d put Laidlaw & Russell in the same bracket as Hogg and ahead of the others mentioned (although the others mentioned ARE a fair shout).

Edited by Howard Hughes in BlueSuedeShoes

Agree that Russell should go, I knew I'd forgotten someone! But Gatland...

For me, Laidlaw's game management outweighs his flaws as a player, and kicking only adds to that, he's definitely the right man for Scotland. Not so sure about the Lions, those qualities are covered by others and as a pure scrum half I think Murray and Youngs will be in front of him in the queue. Depends on whether or not he takes 3 scrummies, if he does then I think Laidlaw will be the second/midweek team captain.

17 hours ago, salmonbuddie said:

Agree that Russell should go, I knew I'd forgotten someone! But Gatland...

For me, Laidlaw's game management outweighs his flaws as a player, and kicking only adds to that, he's definitely the right man for Scotland. Not so sure about the Lions, those qualities are covered by others and as a pure scrum half I think Murray and Youngs will be in front of him in the queue. Depends on whether or not he takes 3 scrummies, if he does then I think Laidlaw will be the second/midweek team captain.

That's a fair point about Laidlaw however I think Gatland SHOULD take three scrum halfs and, what's more, reckon that he will.

Russell, for me, is a definite. Fair enough, Paddy Jackson played well on Saturday but Russell has been on top form for a while now.

But that's for later in the year, I suppose; Paris is before that.

What a result for Ireland. I thought they had an outside chance but that was an incredible match. We had a ball down our local club. Never known it so noisy. Poor old England.

There are three blind guys who come in the club regularly. Obviously they can't see the match and there is so much racket going on it's damned near impossible to hear, so one of the blind blokes called Joe listens on an ear piece. Trouble is whatever commentary he listens to is about fifteen seconds ahead of the TV commentary. I kid you not. But it was funny to hear Joe saying 'Oh, for f**k's sake!' when there was sod all happening on the screen or equally when he jumped to his feet shouting 'Ya f**king beauty!' when we saw nothing coming. Mind you, it was nice to know we had won a good twenty seconds ahead of the telly.

13 hours ago, cockles1987 said:

We? emoji43.png

Definitely a foxes paws but assuredly not a Freudian slip. (See my post of 5th. Feb when we stuffed Ireland.) I've now lived nearly half my life in Ireland and I support them in nearly every sport but never when they play Scotland at anything. I have mentioned my guilty secret before. I support England at cricket but only because we (Scotland) don't have a test team.

Results yesterday turned out pretty poor for Scotland- left us in 4th when a bit more luck would have seen us 2nd. 

Can't see many Scots in the Lions squad to be honest. Hogg and perhaps Gray only one that has shone at 6N level this year. 

Warren Gatland has killed the Lions with this latest squad. 12 Welshmen, f**king disgraceful.

Hope Hogg & Seymour bin it to go to Australia with Scotland instead.

Where's the best deal to be had to buy an All-Black shirt?

FFS 

Highlanders (New Zealand)  23  British and Irish Lions 22

Maybe we could become the... 

BRITISH IRISH AND REST OF THE WORLD LIONS. 

Becoming the British & Irish Lions instead of Gatland's Welshmen and Guests would do...