D-Day 6Th June 1944

shull

It's the 70th anniversary this coming Friday.

I never knew too much about it until this week.

I've been reading bits and bobs recently.

Absolutely amazing and i salute those involved.

Mindblowing.

Various films have tried to capture the horrors and terror of those men, wee boys now to my advancing years, who were first off the boats to storm the beaches. I think I finally got a handle on it with the first 15 minutes of Saving Private Ryan, although it could only truly be understood if you were there. I ssupect a lot would have literally been petrified with fear, scared stiff. Survival was probably down to a measure of how fast you could run through 4 feet of water and a huge element of luck. Sometimes it brings a lump to my throat what those guys went through in the name of democracy and freedom.

Edited by Happy Buddie

Various films have tried to capture the horrors and terror of those men, wee boys now to my advancing years, who were first off the boats to storm the beaches. I think I finally got a handle on it with the first 15 minutes of Saving Private Ryan, although it could only truly be understood if you were there. I ssupect a lot would have literally been petrified with fear, scared stiff. Survival was probably down to a measure of how fast you could run through 4 feet of water and a huge element of luck. Sometimes it brings a lump to my throat what those guys went through in the name of democracy and freedom.

The first 15 minutes of Saving Private Ryan was mind-blowing. Before I saw the movie I had seen a documentary with some American Vets who were there on D-Day. They had seen the movie and said that's exactly what it was like. Almost unbelievable.

Guest TPAFKATS

According to the Scot who played his pipes up and down the beach, survival might also have been down to the Germans believing it was bad luck to kill a piper! He didn't find this out until after D-day though...

According to the Scot who played his pipes up and down the beach, survival might also have been down to the Germans believing it was bad luck to kill a piper! He didn't find this out until after D-day though...

Yeah I saw his interview on TV. I've also seen documentaries where ex soldiers were claiming that only one third of people sent to fight in a war will ever shoot at another person and even then very few shoot to kill which is incredible given that more often than not these people would have been in a situation where it was kill or be killed.

Watching BBC1 presently.

We, in Britain, do commemorations very very well.

Makes me proud.

Get out, there are tourists needing a taxi somewhere.

I've been watching quite a bit of this historic occasion this week.

The stories of what these guys/girls went through is breath taking.

The thing is they never knew how heroic they were, just doing what they believed was right.

Hero is used too easily these days, many of these people are heroes. clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

PS Edited to add how absurd the BBC use the word "hero" on a programme just after 9:15am which is about the work councils do. All worthwhile but every fcuking one is called a "hero". Give me a break!!!!

Edited by faraway saint

Get out, there are tourists needing a taxi somewhere.

Naw, the tourists are having their Nescafe break while checking oot the hundreds of digital doodahs they have already taken this fine morning in Cardonald.

was listening to Radio Scotland today on the way to the train, they were talking about him too... apparently the reason he wasn't shot wasn't down to the bagpipes specifically... but the fact that the Germans snipers believing it bad luck to shoot someone insane. Let's be honest to play the bagpipes wearing a kilt on a beach when bombs, bullets, and mortar shells are landing around you... you can see where the Germans were coming from.

was listening to Radio Scotland today on the way to the train, they were talking about him too... apparently the reason he wasn't shot wasn't down to the bagpipes specifically... but the fact that the Germans snipers believing it bad luck to shoot someone insane. Let's be honest to play the bagpipes wearing a kilt on a beach when bombs, bullets, and mortar shells are landing around you... you can see where the Germans were coming from.

I've always thought he was just lucky. Was he wearing a bit of white heather?

It's a No vote then. whistling.gif

I like Scotland and i like Scotland as it is. It's good to be partners and friends with England, Wales and N. Irelands. Would be even better if Eire wid join us.

To improve Scotland wid be removing Celtic and The Newcunto F.C. permantley and smoothing the roads.

That's aw !

I like Scotland and i like Scotland as it is. It's good to be partners and friends with England, Wales and N. Irelands. Would be even better if Eire wid join us.

To improve Scotland wid be removing Celtic and The Newcunto F.C. permantley and smoothing the roads.

That's aw !

Hear, Hear,Shull!

Just seen an item on the news a 89 year old veteran decided to leave his care home to visit Normandy for the celebrations.

He never told anybody, sparking a panic.

The news item showed a picture of him on a ferry with his juty free surrounded by 4 gorgeous "hostesses".

That's the spirit. clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Edited by faraway saint