Rad - Real Ale Drinkers

esaciar

I'm a huge enthusiast for real ales and I'd like to set up a thread for myself and others to share our passion for the tastiest real ales we can find on a travels.

I was inspired by the whiksy thread and thought I'd stick this in here too!

I'm certainly no snob when it comes to real ale, mind and I know that folks are gonna like what they like - course they are. However, it goes without saying that Fosters and Carling aren't gonna figure here really...

This is just a place for real ale!

original.png

Described as...

Superior dark, rich and warming strong ale with a cherry brandy like colour and character.
Booming balance of ripe malt, and peppery hops combined with roasted nut and chocolate flavours with a smoky richness.
I highly recommend this. Knocks your socks off at around 8% per bottle and it has VERY strong, rich taste that kicks you in the throat almost immediately - but by God it is sublime.

BlackSheepRiggwelter.jpg

Described as...

Created in the mid-nineties, Riggwelter is our flagship Strong ale. We wanted a beer with real strength and depth so we developed a unique recipe built around rich espresso aromas, dark fruit and roasted malt flavours which lends itself perfectly to putting in a bottle.

A real winner for me...can be a little bitter at times with those espresso tones in the background. But a very good tipple.

skullsplitter.jpg

I discovered this on a week long holiday with the family...suffice to say I only had one of these a night along with a swift whisky for a nightcap.

Does what it says on the tin, but by God is it a beautiful tasting beer too.

Caramel and toffee tones with an espresso-style bitter kick.

But there is a silky, dark smokiness to this that just...oh God...I want one now.

Some of the more expensive numbers...

Ola Dubh Special Reserve 18 - Harviestoun

http://www.scottishrealales.com/scottish-ales-and-beers/ola-dubh-special-reserve-40-harviestoun/flypage.tpl.html

1488 Whisky Ale

http://www.scottishrealales.com/scottish-ales-and-beers/1488-whisky-ale-tsa/flypage.tpl.html

Windswept Wolf

http://www.scottishrealales.com/scottish-ales-and-beers/windswept-wolf/flypage.tpl.html

Nothing more glorious than a steak, a peat fire and a dark ale...thumbup2.gif

Guest TPAFKATS

http://www.greatnewsomebrewery.co.uk/great-newsome-brewery-ales.htm

The Ayr Brewery beers are great.

Their website is down just now for maintenance,

Jolly Beggars, Towzie tyke and Leezie Lundie are excellent.

Not really into anything stronger than 4.5%.

Tried some bottles of ayr brewery from farmers market in Paisley. The dude at the stall was offering me free tastings at 10am, which I declined mainly as I was driving.

The darker ipa was good although I can't recall if that was tyke or lundie

Avoid the St.Mirren "ales" brewed by lerwick - honking!

This is my fav - hoping to get down for some in Sept. I miss her...

20130730205904_leftHomeImage.png

Did not realize that's where the Saints beer came from glad I know that now was going to order some. Have had it on tap and it's disgusting could not finish it. It's a bit like that Malt Scottish Vodka that's out , purchased a bottle of that how they can possibly call it vodka is beyond me it may be clear but it tastes like whisky not vodka,

Really like some of the Pale Ales going about. Will try some recommendations from posters on this thread.

Tried some bottles of ayr brewery from farmers market in Paisley. The dude at the stall was offering me free tastings at 10am, which I declined mainly as I was driving.

The darker ipa was good although I can't recall if that was tyke or lundie

Probably Tyke, as Leezie Lundie is more of golden ale.

I had been swithering for a while about ordering beers from the brewery and one day my wife came home with a three pack of the aforementioned beers from the farmers market.

Finally decided to order from the brewery and the website is down.sad.png

Probably Tyke, as Leezie Lundie is more of golden ale.

I had been swithering for a while about ordering beers from the brewery and one day my wife came home with a three pack of the aforementioned beers from the farmers market.

Finally decided to order from the brewery and the website is down.sad.png

Always the case...thumbdown.gif