Betting.

pozbaird

I'm not a gambler but I was passing a Betfred shop today and asked them what odds they would give on a certain team to finish in a certain position, in a certain league next season. They said they couldn't do that, they could only offer odds on the team winning promotion, not on any specific place to finish.

This confused me, as in watching football on TV, it appears that you can bet on all sorts of stuff these days - yellow cards, corners, next scorer, whatever...

I have been in betting shops maybe three times in my life, and twice it was to use their lavvy. Is their refusal to offer odds and take a bet on predicting a position just a Betfred thing? Would all other bookies also refuse?

I'm not a gambler but I was passing a Betfred shop today and asked them what odds they would give on a certain team to finish in a certain position, in a certain league next season. They said they couldn't do that, they could only offer odds on the team winning promotion, not on any specific place to finish.

This confused me, as in watching football on TV, it appears that you can bet on all sorts of stuff these days - yellow cards, corners, next scorer, whatever...

I have been in betting shops maybe three times in my life, and twice it was to use their lavvy. Is their refusal to offer odds and take a bet on predicting a position just a Betfred thing? Would all other bookies also refuse?

You can bet on a lot more online than a shop will take.It means opening an account which may not be worth it if not a regular punter.

I really don't see why you can't. If you bet on a team to win the league then you are essentially betting on them to finish in 1st place so I don't see why 5th, 6th, or 7th should be an issue.

That's what I thought. Obviously I didn't think they would offer odds on the amount of ginger midfielders fae' Cowdenbeath Ian Murray / Jimmy Calderwood / Billy Stark / Derek Adams / Billy Reid / Mixu Paatelainen / Steve Aitken / Gary Teale / Orville the Duck / Wee Jimmy Krankie will get to sign for St Mirren this summer, but I thought predicting a precise place finish would be an easy bet to place.

I know you can bet first, last, promotion relegation etc. some markets also take each way so if you bet on a team to win the league and chose it each way you'd get a pay out for any of the top 4 I'd imagine. If you were a serious punter and wanted to stick 100 grand on it I would think someone would arrange for odds on anything you like.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...