Bank Holiday Today ?

Seaside Nipper

Most banks are closed today , but seemingly it is not a Bank holiday in Scotland.

I thought Scottish banks lined up with the other banks in the UK to harmonise for business reasons

Wtf is going on ?

Tell us, is it or is it not a Bank Holiday in Scotland today ?

I'm getting mixed messages from the broadcast media

Edited by Seaside Nipper

It is an English bank holiday, so those of us the work for English banks and aren't customer facing will take it. When it comes to branches it's a bit more difficult to predict...some of it is left to local level decisions. Banks that are open today will likely either have had fair Monday off, or will take September weekend.<br />

<br />

Domestic back office systems will not be running today (CHAPS/BACS), but counter systems and automated online payments like faster payments will be fine.

Most banks are closed today , but seemingly it is not a Bank holiday in Scotland.

I thought Scottish banks lined up with the other banks in the UK to harmonise for business reasons

Wtf is going on ?

Huts tell us, is it or is it not a Bank Holiday in Scotland today ?

I'm getting mixed messages from the broadcast media

Nope. Not a bank Holiday here.

https://www.gov.uk/bank-holidays#england-and-wales

http://www.gov.scot/Topics/People/bank-holidays

Surely it's the BBC's fault for allowing biased reporting of a situation that inherently panders to the leisure and pleasure of the English at a time when the weather is either good; better than in Scotland or better than in England or Scotland in November ?

Edited by FS

Surely it's the BBC's fault for allowing biased reporting of a situation that inherently panders to the leisure and pleasure of the English at a time when the weather is either good, better than in Scotland or better the in England or Scotland in November ?

thumbup2.gif Donald Rumsfeld would be proud of this statement.

Anyone complaining about this needs to get a life lol.gif .

Nobody is forcing anyone to be an employee.

If this sort of thing pisses you off, there's a very obvious solution.

It clearly doesn't piss me off - I was being ironic.

There are big implications to all of this however. I work in an industry where around 400 man hours is spent re-programming sites for each and every single local and national bank holiday to maximise energy savings. And to confuse matters worse often the HQ's who send out the operating times for each sites have no idea whether the local holidays are being observed by their outlets.

In terms of banking for example, we control the lighting and HVAC for all of the Nationwide Building Societies in the UK. We also have a major contract providing support on LBG, HBOS and TSB sites. In retail we've got altered operating hours at Tesco stores - including Tesco Express, M&S Stores including Simpy Foods, at TK Maxx Stores, Debenhams, and at Boots stores all around the country and in Europe. I don't get any of the bank holidays at all. Instead I get an enhanced rate / enhanced overtime rate to cover the sites depending on my shift rota.

Clearly it would be better for industry if the whole of the UK could agree to have the same bank holidays - even better to scrap all bank holidays but for me its a very nice little earner.....and I can do most of it from home.

Edited by Stuart Dickson