Character!

Driving up to work yesterday I gave way to my co-pilot and switched onto Radio Scotland to to hear that Dumbarton & Livingston had fought back to secure draws whereas we did the reverse on Friday night.

Winning teams have always had that wee bit extra which turned defeats into draws and draws into wins and we don't seem to have it at the moment even allowing for the absence of JG on Friday night. I'm beginning to think that, if possible, we should get rid of McMullan who seems to be a bit of a luxury player and sign this years Ronnie McQuilken (yup we've sunk that low) at the January window and try and shitfest our way to safety. This season's a bogey, at least in terms of the league, and we should concentrate on finishing 8th.

Even allowing for the fact that he has not delivered the battle hardened team I expected I am not for jettisoning Murray at present as I don't see that we could replace him other than by promoting JG or The Thommohawk to assist Miller and I don't see the combination of an OAP and a rookie as an improvement.

As often is the case a picture tells a thousand words so I'll leave you with a smiley which sums up my current feeling about the teams fortunes. bag.gif

Edited by Bud the Baker

Driving up to work yesterday I gave way to my co-pilot and switched onto Radio Scotland to to hear that Dumbarton & Livingston had fought back to secure draws whereas we did the reverse on Friday night.

Winning teams have always had that wee bit extra which turned defeats into draws and draws into wins and we don't seem to have it at the moment even allowing for the absence of JG on Friday night. I'm beginning to think that, if possible, we should get rid of McMullan who seems to be a bit of a luxury player and sign this years Ronnie McQuilken (yup we've sunk that low) at the January window and try and shitfest our way to safety. This season's a bogey, at least in terms of the league, and we should concentrate on finishing 8th.

Even allowing for the fact that he has not delivered the battle hardened team I expected I am not for jettisoning Murray at present as I don't see that we could replace him other than by promoting JG or The Thommohawk to assist Miller and I don't see the combination of an OAP and a rookie as an improvement.

As often is the case a picture tells a thousand words so I'll leave you with a smiley which sums up my current feeling about the teams fortunes. bag.gif

Tend to agree with all of that but the title had me wondering if the late, great (?) Jock Wallace had been reincarnated. He used that word in virtually every interview he ever gave. A real wordsmith. Still have to smile at the story about the English players at Leicester asking their Scots colleagues after Big Jock's first teamtalk 'What the f**k's a skoosh case?.

Tend to agree with all of that but the title had me wondering if the late, great (?) Jock Wallace had been reincarnated. He used that word in virtually every interview he ever gave. A real wordsmith. Still have to smile at the story about the English players at Leicester asking their Scots colleagues after Big Jock's first teamtalk 'What the f**k's a skoosh case?.

Erm yup, I did think briefly about working a Jock Wallace reference in the post, my brother in bedlam. unsure.png

It very much looks as though this season is a write-off. I never harboured much in the way of optimism as to how it would pan out, but never anticipated that it would be as poor as it has been thus far.

I wouldn't be confident that the BoD would appoint anyone who could do anything other than save us from relegation, but that must surely be the priority now. Murray doesn't appear to have the wherewithal based on his form to date. Given that I was calling for Craig to be bagged this time last year, and Murray's record is equally grim, I have to be balanced and draw a similar conclusion in respect of his tenure.

The club is in serious decline, but it needn't be terminal. Steady the ship and hope for better next year. Character is something that is lacking in football these days, and SMFC is utterly devoid of this attribute just now.

If there isn't change soon, I fear the worst.

This season we have dropped 14 points from winning positions, and lost a further two games from drawing at home. That's 16 points in total, without these collapses we'd be comfortable in 4th. By contrast we have 0 points from coming from behind this season. Our problems are almost entirely psychological, there is a lack of confidence, strength and bottle throughout the entire club.

Character and winning mentality. Is that not what we are always being force fed from our media that old firm players have in abundance?

Murray played for the dead club did he not? Where the fcuk is that mentality then? He stands about with his hands in his pockets looking as if he's dazed. Meanwhile other managers are changing formations, shouting encouragement and giving bollockings when required. He stands around or sits hiding in the dugout or stand. Our team performances are a reflection of our manager I'm afraid.

Edited by Big Jake

Character and winning mentality. Is that not what we are always being force fed from our media that old firm players have in abundance?

Murray played for the dead club did he not? Where the fcuk is that mentality then? He stands about with his hands in his pockets looking as if he's dazed. Meanwhile other managers are changing formations, shouting encouragement and giving bollockings when required. He stands around or sits hiding in the dugout or stand. Our team performances are a reflection of our manager I'm afraid.

I'm now of the opinion that he's no longer managing a group of players who aren't nudging each other and going "he played for Scotland, actually wore the shirt proper like in games and stuff" so as a result is struggling to gain even a moderate amount of respect. That's leading to them blatantly not listening and/or just not caring. The only one who consistently does appear to care is Goodwin, who I'm around 90% certain was a player Murray was told to get rid of. It may even have raised it's head at the interview..."What's your view on Jim Goodwin?" - "Erm, I think he has an import...erm, place in the s...no place and I'll look to move him on." - "Excellent, when can you start?". Aside from Jim everyone is either worse than they've been or has me wondering why the hell they were even brought here. Well, aside from Webster who I said would saunter through games. I can't imagine he thought he'd have so much sauntering to do though.

A team that has had an experienced spine of Langfield, Webster, Goodwin and Thompson should not be a soft touch, or one that's lacking in mental toughness and a willing mentality.

I heard Murray's interview on the radio after the game on Friday, and saw it on the telly later. None of it was inspiring, none of it made me think anything's going to change or helped change the impression that he's totally at a loss about what to do.

I don't particularly blame the board for appointing him, and I'm not sure that all his players have helped him as much as they could. But I hope lessons have been learned re contracts, and that everyone appreciates that it's just not working out for either party.

My fear is the fact that's all our players have. Fear at home, fear of failure, fear of losing their jobs and homes. When we need someone to unify we get a novice, who maybe one day may to ok, he is the wrong man at the wrong club. You can see when Thommo gets askes the question- basically whats happening there- he seems baffled .

When we lead we have fear, when we are in game we fear we will lose a goal.

Come on be honest, we all knew Morton were going to equalize its was when, and what is interesting is it was OFFSIDE and in the 91st minute??? No one is slating officials, calling Ton lucky. Fact is they have a team spirit, solid players, a game plan, a good manager and execute what they discuss.

Ok now us. Start off with good intentions, some one scores, it changes everything. Mainly when we score.

We have all been here before. 1991. Went from successful 80s to near death 90s. Well we are here again. 4100 was pitiful v Ton, the spaces were huge on our side. It can and will get a lot worse. Sack Murray, get in an experienced manager that can enthuse the players and club. At this rate by 2021 will be playing Edinburgh City