Sharapova - Cheat Or Not

faraway saint

Has she been banned? It was just on the radio that they expect the hearing to be next month.

Indeed, she has been found guilty of using a banned substance/drug and will hear her fate in April which will be a ban, up to 4 years but most are predicting closer to 2 years.

Thanks, much appreciated. thumbup2.gif

Cannie wait, should just about clear up that she was cheating. wink.png

PS She is provisionally suspended from 12th March.

Edited by faraway saint

Guest TPAFKATS

Serious point-dodging going on here. There is a suspicion on the part of people who know the score (UK head of AD) that she obtained prescription meds without there being a medical need.

As previously stated, the substance was banned because of it's performance-enhancing properties and the suspicion that it was being misused by tennis players.

As I said, any cheating is in the obtaining rather than in the taking-until the ban. I still suspect that everyone who was using it prior to December probably continues to use it under a therapeutic exemption. How can heart patients stand up to the rigours of top-flight tennis?

Taking this point as an example, it is clear that there is probably no major athletic sport that is even half-way clean at the top level. In essence, we are all being cheated as fans

I don't think I dodged any point?

So not only is she not banned yet, theyve (lol.gif ) not even had a hearing yet.

What a spangle you are lol.

Oh dear, she's suspended, does this mean she can play in any official tournament?

I know you get desperate when your simple logic falls on it's arse, splitting hairs, sure sign of desperation, you're not alone.

You're having one of your famous "bad periods", never mind, you just suck it up.

Is she a cheat?

I'm going to add my thoughts here, and it's not splitting hairs.

In any potentially criminal act, it is not just the end result that dictates what the eventual conviction might be. It is a combination of that act plus the establishing of the mindset (mens rea) of the accused i.e. was there an intention to cheat? Was it reckless? Was it careless?

Even with the mens rea established and linked to the act, there are still other factors that would have to be established including aggravating or mitigating factors. Aggravating factors could make things worse for her, and mitigating factors if accepted could either reduce the sentence or even reduce the nature of the conviction.

Even with strict liability drug related offences it is still perfectly possible to rebut the inferred mens rea as long as evidence exists that supports the defence.

Personally I don't think it looks good for her, but being aware that we don't know all of the relevant facts yet, I'm reserving my judgement until more accurate details come out.

I'm going to add my thoughts here, and it's not splitting hairs.

In any potentially criminal act, it is not just the end result that dictates what the eventual conviction might be. It is a combination of that act plus the establishing of the mindset (mens rea) of the accused i.e. was there an intention to cheat? Was it reckless? Was it careless?

Even with the mens rea established and linked to the act, there are still other factors that would have to be established including aggravating or mitigating factors. Aggravating factors could make things worse for her, and mitigating factors if accepted could either reduce the sentence or even reduce the nature of the conviction.

Even with strict liability drug related offences it is still perfectly possible to rebut the inferred mens rea as long as evidence exists that supports the defence.

Personally I don't think it looks good for her, but being aware that we don't know all of the relevant facts yet, I'm reserving my judgement until more accurate details come out.

Whit?

Whit?

Simple analogy:

Somebody kills somebody else. Is it murder?

If the mindset of the accused was the intention to kill, it's murder.

If they didn't intend to kill, but were simply reckless in some way with their otherwise legal actions then it is culpable homicide.

If the accused was a Doctor and the deceased was a patient in their care, and the doctor's actions fell far below the standards expected of them resulting in death it is malregimen.

If the accused can show that although their actions resulted in another's death, but they can show that they were acting in genuine fear that their own life was in genuine danger and that they had no other feasible course of action they could take, it is possible that the accused has charges against them dropped altogether.

The end result is the same in all four cases - somebody killed somebody else - but other factors help to determine what the actual crime, if any, has been committed.

Edited by zurich_allan

Simple analogy:

Somebody kills somebody else. Is it murder?

If the mindset of the accused was the intention to kill, it's murder.

If they didn't intend to kill, but were simply reckless in some way with their otherwise legal actions then it is culpable homicide.

If the accused was a Doctor and the deceased was a patient in their care, and the doctor's actions fell far below the standards expected of them resulting in death it is malregimen.

If the accused can show that although their actions resulted in another's death, but they can show that they were acting in genuine fear that their own life was in genuine danger and that they had no other feasible course of action they could take, it is possible that the accused has charges against them dropped altogether.

The end result is the same in all four cases - somebody killed somebody else - but other factors help to determine what the actual crime, if any, has been committed.

Who killed who?

On Wednesday, the UK Times reported that in the month before her failed test Sharapova had been warned on five separate occasions — three from the International Tennis Federation (ITF) and two from the Women's Tennis Association (WTA) — that meldonium had been added to the list of banned substances.

According to the Times, along with the five warnings from the ITF and WTA, the World Anti-Drug Association (WADA) also told athletes as early as September 2015 that meldonium would be banned starting in 2016. What's more, the Russian athletic association (ARAF) said in a statement on Wednesday that it, too, had warned its athletes not to take meldonium.

'The ARAF has on multiple occasions warned sports people, coaches, and support staff that, since Jan. 1 this year meldonium is included in the list of the banned substances," the statement read

On Wednesday, the UK Times reported that in the month before her failed test Sharapova had been warned on five separate occasions three from the International Tennis Federation (ITF) and two from the Women's Tennis Association (WTA) that meldonium had been added to the list of banned substances.

According to the Times, along with the five warnings from the ITF and WTA, the World Anti-Drug Association (WADA) also told athletes as early as September 2015 that meldonium would be banned starting in 2016. What's more, the Russian athletic association (ARAF) said in a statement on Wednesday that it, too, had warned its athletes not to take meldonium.

'The ARAF has on multiple occasions warned sports people, coaches, and support staff that, since Jan. 1 this year meldonium is included in the list of the banned substances," the statement read

Never mind hanging, she should be burned at the stake.