Sharapova - Cheat Or Not

faraway saint

Guest TPAFKATS

If it doesn't matter why she was taking it why doesn't she come out and say she was using it to enhance her performance?

Mibees she wasn't? Has anyone asked her?

Indeed, why don't you start a thread about how badly women are treated? :1eye

You couldn't make it up. :hammer

You've lost it, women are pampered to some tune. Someone should start a thread about why men are so badly treated they die before women.

But caffeine was once in the banned list and is currently monitored (meaning it could be banned in future again).

Its cheap and widely available.

If caffeine is banned sometime in the future does that mean that all athletes who currently drink 2 or 3 cups of coffee are cheating?

in what quantities was caffeine banned? I'm willing to make an uniformed guess that there was a threshold limit that would have exceeded normal levels in the odd cup of coffee

The substance in question is not available in many countries outside of eastern europe and russia.

If sharapova was healthy and got a doctor to prescribe this on a fictitious medical need then of course it was cheating.

A liar more than anything else desperately trying not to minimise the impact on her sponsorship income.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/tennis/maria-sharapova-meldonium-manufacturer-claim-normal-course-lasts-four-to-six-weeks-not-10-years-a6918996.html

No real debate then, cheat. thumbup2.gif

Oops, sorry, unfair advantage over other players who don't cheat. lol.gif

Edited by faraway saint

Guest TPAFKATS

in what quantities was caffeine banned? I'm willing to make an uniformed guess that there was a threshold limit that would have exceeded normal levels in the odd cup of coffee

The substance in question is not available in many countries outside of eastern europe and russia.

If sharapova was healthy and got a doctor to prescribe this on a fictitious medical need then of course it was cheating.

Nah, still isn't cheating unless she gets the therapeutic exemption. However as the substance wasn't banned by WADA, she didn't need one...

Where do you draw the line about unfair advantage and 'cheating'?

WADA and governing bodies draw it simply at not using a banned substance.

I find it amazing that some people seem to automatically think, that just because she is rich and has the money to bribe a doctor if she wanted to, that she doesn't have a medical condition that warrants the drug in question. I don't know if she has or not and neither does anyone else on here.

FFS, the drug makers say that a course of 4-6 weeks, possibly 2-3 times a year is sufficient IF anyone had a condition that required treatment. 1eye.gif

I find it amazing you seem to be ignoring this. bye1.gif

Nah, still isn't cheating unless she gets the therapeutic exemption. However as the substance wasn't banned by WADA, she didn't need one...

Where do you draw the line about unfair advantage and 'cheating'?

WADA and governing bodies draw it simply at not using a banned substance.

So you are saying a healthy person, taking a drug over a 10 year period, that is recommended not for therapeutic use but to manage symptoms, prescribed by a "family" doctor outside the US where she has lived for many years is not chaeting simply because the drug is not banned? That is deliberate obfuscation. If there is cheating, it occurred, until the start of this year, in the obtaining of the drug and not in the taking of it.

If she is proved to have a heart defect then it is not cheating, if she she has been healthy for all of that time then it is cheating because she has declared that she needs the drug to manage a heart problem. The head of UK anti-doping last night poured scorn on her assertion that she needed the drug for health reasons. I would trust his judgement more in these circumstances.

What will be interesting will be the list of people who have obtained a medical exemption since the start of the year, we could be talking about some of the fittest heart patients ever seen.

Glad you've got it, finally.

That'll Katherine Merry blackballed by a lot of her fellow team gb athletes ;-)

What's that got to do with her point? blink.png

I mean, you and the rest of the gang are on ignore, my "see it anyway" choice is doing overtime this weather, does that mean your opinion is worth nothing.................................wait, I see a flaw. laugh.png

Guest TPAFKATS

So you are saying a healthy person, taking a drug over a 10 year period, that is recommended not for therapeutic use but to manage symptoms, prescribed by a "family" doctor outside the US where she has lived for many years is not chaeting simply because the drug is not banned? That is deliberate obfuscation. If there is cheating, it occurred, until the start of this year, in the obtaining of the drug and not in the taking of it.

If she is proved to have a heart defect then it is not cheating, if she she has been healthy for all of that time then it is cheating because she has declared that she needs the drug to manage a heart problem. The head of UK anti-doping last night poured scorn on her assertion that she needed the drug for health reasons. I would trust his judgement more in these circumstances.

What will be interesting will be the list of people who have obtained a medical exemption since the start of the year, we could be talking about some of the fittest heart patients ever seen.

Cheating means breaking the rules.

If she didn't break any rules prior to jan 16 she wasn't cheating.

Not saying it's right or wrong ethically.

Edited by TPAFKATS

Amazing how many people have found her guilty without the decency of a trial.

Amazing how many of them have previously slaughtered others for indulging in the same nonsense.

Innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.

At least that SHOULD be the rule we live by.

Unless you live in Arbroath apparently.

Amazing how many people have found her guilty without the decency of a trial.

Amazing how many of them have previously slaughtered others for indulging in the same nonsense.

Innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.

At least that SHOULD be the rule we live by.

Unless you live in Arbroath apparently.

She's been banned, ya trumpet. lol.gif

Banned = guilty.

She even held a press conference saying she was guilty.

What a buffoon you are. 1eye.gif

Edited by faraway saint

Cheating means breaking the rules.

If she didn't break any rules prior to jan 16 she wasn't cheating.

Not saying it's right or wrong

Serious point-dodging going on here. There is a suspicion on the part of people who know the score (UK head of AD) that she obtained prescription meds without there being a medical need.

As previously stated, the substance was banned because of it's performance-enhancing properties and the suspicion that it was being misused by tennis players.

As I said, any cheating is in the obtaining rather than in the taking-until the ban. I still suspect that everyone who was using it prior to December probably continues to use it under a therapeutic exemption. How can heart patients stand up to the rigours of top-flight tennis?

Taking this point as an example, it is clear that there is probably no major athletic sport that is even half-way clean at the top level. In essence, we are all being cheated as fans

Serious point-dodging going on here. There is a suspicion on the part of people who know the score (UK head of AD) that she obtained prescription meds without there being a medical need.

As previously stated, the substance was banned because of it's performance-enhancing properties and the suspicion that it was being misused by tennis players.

As I said, any cheating is in the obtaining rather than in the taking-until the ban. I still suspect that everyone who was using it prior to December probably continues to use it under a therapeutic exemption. How can heart patients stand up to the rigours of top-flight tennis?

Taking this point as an example, it is clear that there is probably no major athletic sport that is even half-way clean at the top level. In essence, we are all being cheated as fans

Pretty much what's been said throughout. thumbup2.gif