Wind Farms Are Shite

Stuart Dickson

Its you that is being silly. What is proved beyond all doubt is that the massive investment in wind farms has been a complete waste of time. When the wind blows we can't store surplus electricity generated. When the wind doesn't there's no electricity generated. An independent Scotland would be importing the vast majority of its electricity from nuclear power stations England all year round.

Thankfully Scots weren't fooled by the SNP and we aren't in that absurd position today. A government with its eye on the future should be investing in cutting energy consumption, extracting shail gas and oil, and provide energy security by building at least two more nuclear power plants in Scotland

What a pile of wanky pish...

Its already gone from being a net exporter to a net importer of electiricity in the past four years.

Wheelhouse gets extremely upset when you tell him that.

The only positive to take from this idiotic return to pre industrial revolution methods of powering things is that they have a pretty short lifespan and will need dismantled. So it will maybe give some jobs to some scottish folk unlike the construction side which didnt. Or the manufacturing side which didn,t.

I would reckon now that the entire wind industry is on borrowed time. Thankfully.

You're wrong about that, you know.

http://www.gov.scot/Topics/Statistics/Browse/Business/TrendElectricity

7 minutes ago, cockles1987 said:

So coal is made from dinosaurs.

I blame the Pixes for not spinning the windmills a wee bit more.

Hold on a minute, I was joking. You were being serious, you really thought that coal was made from dinosaurs. emoji23.png

If you didn't have him on block you'd see it was your pal who first suggested coal came from dinosaurs. I simply laughed at him

On 11/27/2016 at 2:10 PM, Reynard said:

Its already gone from being a net exporter to a net importer of electiricity in the past four years.

Wheelhouse gets extremely upset when you tell him that.

The only positive to take from this idiotic return to pre industrial revolution methods of powering things is that they have a pretty short lifespan and will need dismantled. So it will maybe give some jobs to some scottish folk unlike the construction side which didnt. Or the manufacturing side which didn,t.

I would reckon now that the entire wind industry is on borrowed time. Thankfully.

Tell that to the tories who have just bankrolled a new generation of offshore wind

and many of the manufacturing jobs went to countries that supported their manufacturers, but there are still thousands of UK workers building and maintaining the magnificent fleet of UK wind turbine generators

On ‎29‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 11:14 PM, Slartibartfast said:

The first of 8 onshore windfarms from ScottishPower Renewables officially opened today in South Ayrshire.

But, of course, Dicko knows best.

with 3 offshore projects in construction and a host of life-extension projects underway for some of the older facilities

Reynard should also remember that Scotland's role in energy export has been hampered by successive tory and labour governments who have loaded the dice in favour of generation in England to make the nuclear projects look more viable.

You would think an amateur politician would realise that energy policy is a reserved matter

Edited by beyond our ken
spelling

Blowing a gale today - wind farms turning. Surely wind will be covering most of our needs today.

Nope, just 7.71%. How many £billions in tax payer subsidies has been wasted on this utterly shite technology that the SNP backed?

Fergus Ewing should resign and he should take that arsehole Rossanna Cunningham with him

I don't have a strong opinion one way or the other but the perceived wisdom is that they are inefficient and not cost effective. The only plus seems to be that it's renewable and has no waste as such. It also kills thousands of birds. I never believe politicians of any party when they talk about costs of energy. Wind farms are an absolute eyesore. So, come to think about it, I've changed my mind. I don't like them. Anyone sailed into Liverpool recently?  Tilting at windmills?

52 minutes ago, Stuart Dickson said:

Blowing a gale today - wind farms turning. Surely wind will be covering most of our needs today.

Nope, just 7.71%. How many £billions in tax payer subsidies has been wasted on this utterly shite technology that the SNP backed?

Fergus Ewing should resign and he should take that arsehole Rossanna Cunningham with him

Is it really? looking out my window barely a leaf is turning over.

Again, take your problem with the public money to whatever tory you can find to represent you, they are the people who fund this industry.

Meanwhile, here is a wee press release for you and Reynard to grip each other hard over.

World-class factory opening in Hull marks new era for Britain’s offshore wind industry

RenewableUK says today’s official opening of Siemens’ new offshore wind plant in Hull  represents a major stride forward for Britain’s rapidly-expanding offshore wind sector.

The £310 million redevelopment of Alexandra Dock by Siemens and Associated British Ports will create 1,000 jobs, 700 of which have already been filled by local people. The site, which is the size of 78 football pitches, includes a factory which will manufacture blades 75 meters long and a dockside plant assembling turbine towers 82 meters tall.   

RenewableUK’s Chief Executive, Hugh McNeal, who’s attending today’s ceremony, said: “Innovative, large-scale manufacturing for Britain’s offshore wind industry, as Siemens are doing here in Hull, is a key part of our nation’s modern industrial strategy”.

“It’s great to see a major international company building on Yorkshire’s proud manufacturing history.  Siemens is one of many trailblazers investing in this sector right across the UK. Offshore wind developers are committed to maximising the amount of locally-made kit in their projects, to ensure that we all reap the economic benefits of renewable energy – including opportunities to export, capitalising on Britain’s global lead in offshore wind”.

“The offshore wind industry is bringing well over £20 billion in investment to the UK over the course of this decade, creating thousands of new jobs, from apprentices taking their first steps into high-tech, to experienced workers making the transition from the oil and gas sector into renewables”.

Within the last few weeks, JDR Cables in Hartlepool announced that it has won a major contract to design and manufacture subsea power cables for what will be the world’s biggest offshore wind farm, off the coast of East Yorkshire. In Belfast, Harland and Wolff secured a significant deal to supply steel foundations to a project off the Suffolk coast. MHI Vestas Offshore Wind on the Isle of Wight has announced it is recruiting 70 extra workers to manufacture turbine blades. CS Wind based in Campbeltown in Scotland is recruiting 160 more staff supplying turbine towers for Siemens as well as other international companies

Surely you guys will applaud the investment in our young people and in our technology base?

2 hours ago, Stuart Dickson said:

SD Is ur middle initial T by chance?

What a pile of wanky pish...

45 minutes ago, beyond our ken said:

You got a STD after having sex?

Unfortunately for him my ex wife allowed my eldest son to pick his wee brothers middle name after we'd picked out a first name for him. At the time my eldest was 5 and liked Thomas The Tank Engine, so STD are indeed his initials. 

I reckon pregnancy is an STD anyway. 

46 minutes ago, Stuart Dickson said:

Unfortunately for him my ex wife allowed my eldest son to pick his wee brothers middle name after we'd picked out a first name for him. At the time my eldest was 5 and liked Thomas The Tank Engine, so STD are indeed his initials. 

I reckon pregnancy is an STD anyway. 

I am sure the former Mrs Dickson would concur

• 1 month later...
12 minutes ago, cockles1987 said:

Until you post a picture of dials and data traces, I don't believe you.:whistle