Langfield Extends Contract

12 hours ago, car-d bud said:

get where you`re coming from but imo a good goalkeeper is  as important as a ball winning centre half or a goal scoring forward. Indeed you could argue goalie more importnant. We finished 3rd top scorers without our forwards bursting nets on a regular basis. We had the other 9 outfield players chipping in. A good goalkeeper on the other hand wins games AND gives the team confidence coming for cross balls,starts attacks with great distribution .  Too often they are underestimated in their importance. 

I don't disagree with any of that, I just question whether there's a need to waste money signing two new goalies when we could get away with a good one and a young keeper with Langfield as cover.

1 hour ago, Slartibartfast said:

If the "good" keeper got injured for a lengthy period, who would you put in goal, the young keeper or Langfield?

Langfield - or if it's a lengthy period we could bring someone in on an emergency loan.

From a financial point of view, having a goalie and an experienced keeper who was also a coach made sense so a bit odd we're moving away from that.

4 minutes ago, Stu said:

Langfield - or if it's a lengthy period we could bring someone in on an emergency loan.

From a financial point of view, having a goalie and an experienced keeper who was also a coach made sense so a bit odd we're moving away from that.

I think it makes sense, assuming he isn't on a huge amount of money.

Look at the fiasco at Raith Rovers.  They made utter arses of themselves and destroyed the morale in their own squad by not being able to sign a keeper.  Ryan Stevenson retired after the game and the club ended up relegated.  A third keeper is worth the insurance cost.

As also pointed out above, we don't seem to bring any good keepers through the academy, so having someone with Langfield's experience working with the kids can only be beneficial.

I think O'Brien could do a job as a 2nd choice keeper and giving him a year or two to develop.  We need a commanding and confident keeper if we are to challenge for the title and shore up what is still a rather dodgy defence.  Could do worse than getting Craig Samson back in my opinion.

3 hours ago, Kemp said:

I think it makes sense, assuming he isn't on a huge amount of money.

Look at the fiasco at Raith Rovers.  They made utter arses of themselves and destroyed the morale in their own squad by not being able to sign a keeper.  Ryan Stevenson retired after the game and the club ended up relegated.  A third keeper is worth the insurance cost.

As also pointed out above, we don't seem to bring any good keepers through the academy, so having someone with Langfield's experience working with the kids can only be beneficial.

I think O'Brien could do a job as a 2nd choice keeper and giving him a year or two to develop.  We need a commanding and confident keeper if we are to challenge for the title and shore up what is still a rather dodgy defence.  Could do worse than getting Craig Samson back in my opinion.

I am sure Raith had 3 keepers on the books but they were all injured at the same time.

4 hours ago, renfrew said:

I am sure Raith had 3 keepers on the books but they were all injured at the same time.

I think you are correct.  They were down to one keeper for quite some length of time and didn't bother to find a replacement.  Paid the price for it.  Shows it would be crazy to only have two on the books!