Electric Cars

Drew

4 minutes ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

My Company (Bosch) are heavily involved in the development of both Electric and Hydrogen systems.  I participated in a few online web sessions a couple of months ago and I have to say the Hydrogen option was by far the most interesting one and the one which got the most positive feedback.

Isn't there a plan for the sale of petrol/diesel cars to be banned from 2030? 

I wonder how that'll work, unless the cost and improvements in electric makes massive leaps forward, along with infrastructure.  

I suppose existing petrol/diesel cars that will have been purchased just before the end of 2029 will take quite a while to fall apart. 

2 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Isn't there a plan for the sale of petrol/diesel cars to be banned from 2030? 

I wonder how that'll work, unless the cost and improvements in electric makes massive leaps forward, along with infrastructure.  

I suppose existing petrol/diesel cars that will have been purchased just before the end of 2029 will take quite a while to fall apart. 

Yes, there are to be no new ICE vehicles sold after that date but the existing ones will still be on the roads for decades after that unless legislation outlaws their use. 

eta. The 2030 date currently only applies to cars and light vans, not sure what will happen with trucks , buses , plant & industrial etc 

Edited by Callum Gilhooley

2 minutes ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

Yes, there are to be no new ICE vehicles sold after that date but the existing ones will still be on the roads for decades after that unless legislation outlaws their use. 

Aye, sorry, looked it up AFTER I posted. :lol:

The UK government is bringing forward the ban on sales of new petrol and diesel cars from 2035 to 2030. Prime Minister Boris Johnson has announced the 2030 ban as part of a package of green initiatives. This will be the second time the ban has come forward. It previously changed from 2040 to 2035 (announced February 2020) and now from 2035 to 2030. New hybrid cars can remain on sale until 2035. We do not know if this will include all types of hybrid car (mild-hybrids, full hybrids and plug-in hybrids). The ban does not affect used cars – only new cars. So you will still be able to buy used petrol and diesel cars after 2030.

Read more: https://www.which.co.uk/news/2020/11/2030-ban-of-new-petrol-and-diesel-cars-what-will-it-mean-for-you/ - Which?

18 minutes ago, Rascal said:

Chat in the car going to and from the game yesterday included electric cars. Only one of the five in the car currently has one. Cost of purchase was seen as a downside by most with range and charging facilities next.

On 4/22/2022 at 10:19 PM, faraway saint said:

People will be people, the key point is there's not enough infrastructure to support these battery powered cars, and the charging time isn't close to convenient when you can pop into a garage and fill up in 5 minutes. 

Who'd have thunk it. :lol:

Must be onto his last brain cell, the other one's gave up the ghost. :byebye

6 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Who'd have thunk it. :lol:

Must be onto his last brain cell, the other one's gave up the ghost. :byebye

One day you might yourself have a brain cell. The other elements were more important to those involved. 
Stirling has put in place the largest free charging area in Scotland on the edge of the town which connects people with Park and Ride into the City to encourage visitors to spend time there as their vehicle charges. Falkirk have put a large number of charging points in the grounds of Falkirk Stadium to enable users to charge up as they take advantage of the free charging points. So also increasing revenue for the football club. Plenty of innovative ways to skin this particular cat.

On 4/23/2022 at 1:46 PM, StanleySaint said:

But these range figures don't take into account driving in the dark in the middle of winter with the heater on, I would suggest it would be considerably less in those conditions.

And if you do take advantage of those extremely impressive acceleration figures , just you watch the power disappear from the Battery and the range will be dramatically reduced .