MATCH OFFICIALS BEING HARASSED AND MANHANDLED

Prague Buddie

Over the last weeks, months and years this has been going on and probably getting gradually worse. Andy Robertson is the latest to get involved with a match official. Eventually taking an elbow to the face himself.

In my opinion, match officials being constantly whined at by players and coaches only helps to lower the standard of refereeing. It puts them under more pressure, which eventually leads to more bad decisions. Referee's could have more of a chance if they were just left alone to get on with it. Something needs to be done. It is time to take a leaf out of Rugby's book. 

FIFA, UEFA and all the FA's have to put their foot down. The solution is pretty simple as far as I am concerned. 

All clubs should be informed that arguing and/or manhandling refs or assistants will no longer be tolerated. These are the rules that could be implemented...................

Protest against a decision = Yellow card

Protest a decision in an agressive manner = Red card

Manhandle an official = 10 game ban

3 Red cards for this in one season = 3pts deduction.

I have watched so many games where coaches and players are trying to ref the game and even somehow manage to infuence the ref. Time for it to end. Gradually over time players will develop an understanding that arguing with officials is not the done thing.

Thoughts?

Edited by Prague Buddie

Over the last weeks, months and years this has been going on and probably getting gradually worse. Andy Robertson is the latest to get involved with a match official. Eventually taking an elbow to the face himself.
In my opinion, match officials being constantly whined at by players and coaches only helps to lower the standard of refereeing. It puts them under more pressure, which eventually leads to more bad decisions. Referee's could have more of a chance if they were just left alone to get on with it. Something needs to be done. It is time to take a leaf out of Rugby's book. 
FIFA, UEFA and all the FA's have to put their foot down. The solution is pretty simple as far as I am concerned. 
All clubs should be informed that arguing and/or manhandling refs or assistants will no longer be tolerated. These are the rules that could be implemented...................
Protest against a decision = Yellow card
Protest a decision in an agressive manner = Red card
Manhandle an official = 10 game ban
3 Red cards for this in one season = 3pts deduction.

I have watched so many games where coaches and players are trying to ref the game and even somehow manage to infuence the ref. Time for it to end. Gradually over time players will develop an understanding that arguing with officials is not the done thing.
Thoughts?

I've said for years a red card for arguing with refs and after 1st month it will stop but like your idea of a yellow for arguing or red for aggressive arguing.

Sent from my T610K using Tapatalk

A bigger problem is not players and coaches it's so called supporters, none more guilty than the two arsecheeks, the referee in Saturday's game had his personal details posted on social media, seemingly he's had threatening messages putting his family in fear...  totally out of order police are on the case hopefully they find the culprits... 

Top Cat keep yer eyes peeled for any tents going up in your neighbours garden 

1 hour ago, portmahomack saint said:

A bigger problem is not players and coaches it's so called supporters, none more guilty than the two arsecheeks, the referee in Saturday's game had his personal details posted on social media, seemingly he's had threatening messages putting his family in fear...  totally out of order police are on the case hopefully they find the culprits... 

Top Cat keep yer eyes peeled for any tents going up in your neighbours garden 

Maybe so, but what chance is there, if the players and coaches don't show respect. They are the role-models.

There is so much the authorities and clubs could do to stop this carry on or at the very least reduce it significantly. Managers getting sent off & mouthing at refs doesn’t  help matters.

Clubs making it public that they don’t want a specific ref to officiate their games stokes up resentment and a sense of injustice before a ball is kicked and players behaving like angry teenagers showing no respect for authority doesn’t help matters .

I like the idea of cards for excessive arguing - perhaps introducing a sin bin ?   I’d also take the Rugby idea of 10 yard penalty for continued dissent . They’d soon stop when it got to 9 yards outside the Box !! 
As for manhandling the officials ? I’d start with 5 game bans depending on the severity of the incident with subsequent repeat offences receiving that + another 5 & so on.   I’d also keep these bans on the players record should they move clubs, that might make the hotheads think twice and make clubs think twice about signing someone who already has an increased ban hanging over their head. 
it’s a part of the modern game which saddens me, respect for authority in general seems to have slipped to an all time low and football is mirroring that - or is football setting the trend ? 🤔😏