Glenvale & St Peter’s

Sue Denim

Great start to the season for Paisley’s other 2 senior clubs - after 2 matches in the West of Scotland 4th Division, Glenvale are top and St Peter’s are second on goal difference

I was there last night to see Glenvale beat Barry McLaughlin’s Thorn Athletic 4-3 in an end to end local derby. 

Unfortunately, neither club is actually playing in Paisley at the moment! 😆

Glenvale usually play out if Ferguslie Sports Centre but it’s getting a refit. On a temporary basis, they are playing at St Anthony’s McKenna Park in Cardonald until the refit is complete.

St Peter’s meanwhile have been playing at Renfrew Juniors for the past couple of years. Not sure if they’ll ever be back in Paisley? You’d think that maybe Seedhill would be suitable? Morar playing fields would have them in Glenburn, where they originated, but I’d imagine that would cost a few bob to get up to senior football scratch.

Looking forward to getting to as many Glenvale matches as possible. Promotion to the 3rd Division would be an amazing achievement.

4 hours ago, Sue Denim said:

Morar playing fields would have them in Glenburn, where they originated, but I’d imagine that would cost a few bob to get up to senior football scratch.

Where are the Morar playing fields?

Is Moredun still being used when I went passed it last week looked nothing like the place I remember , even the changing room looked quite forgotten about.
I don't think it is but not 100% sure. Still think that's where he was referring to, though.

1 hour ago, linwood buddie said:

Is Moredun still being used when I went passed it last week looked nothing like the place I remember , even the changing room looked quite forgotten about.

The changing rooms were demolished last year!!!

56 minutes ago, linwood buddie said:

Well they are definitely forgotten about now , no idea what made me think they were still standing.

My daughter's team play a few of their matches at Moredun. There are portacabins available for changing and storing equipment like goalposts and nets.  

Portacabins also at The Marshes for equipment.

Governments, the Council and maybe Sponsors could help fund a new Stadium , similar to Renfrew's within the Paisley area.

It could then be leased and shared by Glenvale and St Peter's .

Outwith their matchdays, other youth teams in Renfrewshire and beyond could hire the facility.

Could be built at the Marshes , Moredun , Seedhill or Ralston Penilee Road .

4 hours ago, Cookie Monster said:

One of the problems with Moredun is that it is used as a flood prevention measure. Not sure how regularly it gets used but I'd rule it out in that case for a Senior clubs use.

Yeh, i can’t see them being able to use it.

The only other venue, other than Ferguslie, I can think of that might be suitable is Seedhill? 

Or rent the pitch at Glennifer High School? 😆

Edited by Sue Denim

5 hours ago, shull said:

Governments, the Council and maybe Sponsors could help fund a new Stadium , similar to Renfrew's within the Paisley area.

It could then be leased and shared by Glenvale and St Peter's .

Outwith their matchdays, other youth teams in Renfrewshire and beyond could hire the facility.

Could be built at the Marshes , Moredun , Seedhill or Ralston Penilee Road .

Seedhill already has an Astro pitch, enclosed, with floodlights and changing facilities. Not sure if there is something about it not being suitable 

Glenvale only supposed to be at St Anthony’s until Ferguslie has been refitted but a quick google suggests it won’t be complete until April

The problem with St Anthony’s is that it’s not Astro and doesn’t have floodlights, so at the mercy of not too many games being cancelled and then having to wait until lighter nights to fit in postponed matches. 

5-1 win away to 3rd placed Eglinton today for Glenvale to maintain a perfect start to the season and remain top of the league

Unfortunately wasn’t able to make it but will be having a few celebratory   beers this evening with someone who was there  🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺

Very winnable home game against Royal Albert next week too! 

St Peter’s top of the league on goal after putting 7 past Easterhouse away today 

Barry forced out by the old guard at the Thorn, he pulled out a resignation letter 

Eglinton tried to wind up Glenvale with “burgh rejects” taunts today, backfired big time

Absolutely no one considered Glenvale to be contenders this season.